Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond A100 Leslie Sound Options

Hello everyone!
    I've been searching this but I'm not sure if I've worded it correctly so I haven't found an answer yet .
    I'm about to buy an A100 for $150 that seems to be in great condition soooo... Is there a way to be able to use a leslie effect pedal with the built in speaker instead of having to buy an actual leslie speaker? I know it wont sound identical but i'd like a similar effect to it. Also my room is kind of small and a leslie would take up too much space.

P.S. Sorry if i posted in the wrong section... new member here

The output from the preamp (AO28) to the main amp (AO39) is a balanced signal. The red & black wire for signal and the brown is ground. The signal is hotter than normal instrument level.

You have several options.

Trek II makes an effects loop ELB1a (http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/buil...item_no=ELB-1A) which will provided a buffered effects send and return. You would need one per manual. Soldering skills are needed to install.

Another way: Build or buy an output line box. (http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/buil...?item_no=OBL-2). Run the signal from this into your effects box. However from here it gets a little trickier as you have to recreate a balanced signal to drive the main amp. I haven't tried this, but a small amp driving a CT transformer to generate a balanced output for the main amp should work.
    (http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/buil...no=122XB-INPUT)

(Note: My "Wife is home" rig uses a line box to a leslie pedal to a mixer to headphones)

I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

Jim

Comment

Buy or build the line out box as Jaim described, desolder the wires going to the main speakers and place a stereo amp between them and the effects pedal. They're 8 ohms each and are easily driven by most amps...even a "T" amp will work. You'll also get some (but not much) stereo effect.

Be sure to pull the tubes from the main amp to disable it while unloaded.

I use Geo's line out circuit on my A100:

Connect a 5K resistor to one G terminal. Connect a 1K to that resistors other end to Ground. Connect your output hot wire to the resistor junction and the ground to the organ ground.

Geo
      (Diagram)
      '62 Hammond A100 & '60 Leslie 45 (two speed)
      '55 Hammond M3
      I chose a terrible user name.

Comment

I'd just hold on to your money until you can find a Leslie 147 or 122 (or 145 or 142). You'll eventually find one for $1000 or a little more.

Comment

I doubt it lol
          a Hammond B3, C3, or A100 are rare finds in San Diego
          I've only seen another A100 without leslie for $1000
          LA has a bunch but they're in the upper price range too.
          For right now I just want one to transition from keyboard to gospel organ and have actual drawbars to learn and also for home studio use. (I'd probably use a leslie simulator vst meanwhile).

Comment

Working...
          X