No announcement yet.

M-3 vs. A102 vs. BC vs. B-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread, as it raises all kinds of questions about preferred models, but is complicated by price issues. And as an organist in the UK, there's always been a limit to what's been available -
    it's predominately spinets (L, T or M, not M3 so much) and A100s and C3s, with an occasional RT3. Other consoles crop up - but not that much. But if I had a choice I would go for the most sonically rewarding. I've never seen a tallboy cab in the UK of any description, and sonically, judging by recordings I have, this has always struck me as the best sound. And I imagine with a BC it's going to ooze character - like in those dusty sounds from 50s exotica and early jazz, the kind of sound that I really don't think you hear anyone emit anymore, ever. Obviously style of music is a factor, and whether or not gigs are happening. A 31H is obvs a no-no if yo wanna play out. But for a home, or residency gig (do they still exist for proper organists?) I'd do the BC with 31H.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
      Most home organs don't have concert backs. They are meant to be pushed up against a wall.
      OK, were they sold that way? Did you have to order an organ with a back if you wanted one?
      1962 Hammond A102

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
        OK, were they sold that way? Did you have to order an organ with a back if you wanted one?
        Yes. On the self-contained models (L-series, M-series, A-100 series) a "pretty back" was an optional extra. Some came with no back at all, others with a very basic particle board cover.
        Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
        Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
        Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
        Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Interesting, here's the back of my M-3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File Oct 13, 4 43 45 PM 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	603276
          Last edited by KeithB; 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM.
          1962 Hammond A102

Comment

factory back, nice
            1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Yes, it is nice to have, especially since mine is not sitting against a wall. At least it gives you the option that you don't have to do that. Thanks for the insights, it explains why you see so few spinets with backs (this is the only one I've seen). Even a google search turns up only a couple images.

Another question, the console organs have presets, while the M-3 does not. However, I don't see many videos with people using the presets. Most seem to be using the drawbars since you can see the player adjusting them during play. So, a question to everyone, do you mostly use the drawbars when you play, presets, even mix?
              1962 Hammond A102

Comment

I sometimes use a couple of the presets. Lower manual F# and G# are both nice sounds for soft comping (gospel style), and upper manual A natural is a nice "full organ" sort of sound. But 99% of the time I'm working with the drawbars. Setting up the B natural one as I'm playing the A#, and then quickly flicking over ... OR just live adjusting one set as I go along, depending on the song.

On spinets, I have never used a preset ever.
                Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
                  I sometimes use a couple of the presets. Lower manual F# and G# are both nice sounds for soft comping (gospel style), and upper manual A natural is a nice "full organ" sort of sound. But 99% of the time I'm working with the drawbars. Setting up the B natural one as I'm playing the A#, and then quickly flicking over ... OR just live adjusting one set as I go along, depending on the song.

On spinets, I have never used a preset ever.
                  Yes enor,
                  Those are also my go to presets.No doubt many others as well. On spinets I use 'Full Organ' on the uppers and 'Ensemble' on the lowers.
                  Least likely to use? 'Clarinet' on an L100.

I would go with the A102. Easily the most features with the least use in the best condition nine times out of ten.
                  They all will need some work,question is; do you want to play it or fix it?
                  Second choice? The M3. Every one should have one,fix one,play one. Best way to learn what you're doing and prepare yourself to work on a console.
                  And they are usually inexpensive!

B's are admired by the audience apparently. Lots of folks play them to appease the 'fashionistas' and make themselves the center of attention.
                  Just how many times I've seen one on a stage without actually hearing it? Too many to count. The poser organ.
                  If you are a great player people will notice no matter what model you are using.
                  have enough.

Comment

Hi There,
                    About the presets. When I played in a cover band, I needed to cover many "signature" sounds, and I found it really helpful to program the presets to those sounds. Also, an added benefit is it allows you to make a quick change/tweak if you need to. I never used the factory ones... probably because of the style I played. And I agree with sweet pete, you can get an A100 real cheap, just saw one on Craigslist last month in Rockford for free. I was too late for that one. DAMN! But they are a good bang for the buck. M-3's are an awesome deal. I never pay more than $50, and mostly get them for free, plus, you have all the right stuff to make a rig that rocks! More on that project later...

All the best,
                    Christine

Comment

I use "Clarinet" on L100 to play the Theme from Super Mario Bros. LOL. Boop boop bleep de bleep bloop!

L100 "Full Organ" gets a fair bit of use. Nothing else, ever. And that full organ is roughly 8588844226. Or, no, wait, maybe that's Gimme Some Lovin'. I can't remember anymore. I just pull what I hear.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts on using the drawbars. It's about what I expected.

So, here's a new scenario: if you are on a limited budget and could buy only one of these two setups, which would it be? Seems like prices around here are about the same for either.

1. M-3 with a Leslie 45

2. A100
                        1962 Hammond A102

Comment

A-100. You can always get a Leslie afterwards.

Comment

I had a blondie M3 for a few years. Loved it, but always wanted more. I have the A-102 now. Hideous (sorry but it is not an attractive cabinet), but unless I come across something like a free C3 or B3, I'll never get rid of it and haven't really missed the M3. If you can comfortably get a console, get a console.
                            -'64 Hammond A-102
                            -Leslie 147
                            -Leslie 145 "Biggie Shortie"

Comment

A100 for sure.

Comment

I would pick up the A-100
                                1964 A-122 / 21H
                                XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Working...
                                X