This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-200 series suddenly quit making any sound

I posted several years ago about my thrift shop find, T-212. I had to do a few things, with help from the forum, to get it into better playing condition and while it wasn't perfect, it became an integral part of my musical life and I loved it. The problems it had before last nights catastrophe were as follows:
    • Crackling sounds in the speakers--not really too noticeable when playing
    • A couple of keys above middle "C" on the upper keyboard get hung-up or stuck every now and then--some gentle "fiddling and tapping" usually gets them unstuck. I am afraid someday they may just break.
    • Pedals did not work above "E" but by spraying some compressed air through the pedal assembly, and some messing around with them, I was able to get them to work just fine.
    • I discovered the 1 ft. drawbar does not work on the upper keyboard but works on the lower. The 1 ft. tone is in the Tibia and Theater Brass presets however. So, I suspect a wire just may be off of the 1 ft. drawbar? Not a big deal--I've been able to get around it.
    • The vibrato doesn't really work like it supposed to but don't really care.

Otherwise, aside from the crackling, it "runs" quietly. I've oiled it once a year and have always been careful to not over do it. The Leslie works perfectly.

I removed the music rack and put my Yamaha PSR-S970 (an amazing keyboard, just once notch away from the Tyros 5) on top of the Hammond. I play them together and the result is astounding. I've been able to replicate that "Organs in Orbit"/mid century sound perfectly and it is soo much fun to play. I've mic'd the Leslie with a high quality mic and have everything through a Mackie mixer. Now for the bad news.

Last night I was all set to play some tunes. Turned everything on but didn't sit down to play right away. Then I thought I heard a small "pop" and when I tried to play there was nothing--no sound coming from anything and no crackling either! (But it will still running) Maybe something blew out in the amp? Is there a fuse? I praying it is something I can fix myself. I shut it off and let it sit for some time, tried it again, still no sound--I was hoping it may have magically fixed itself....no luck. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be? Please help...I going into Hammond organ withdrawal! Thank you. John

Is the tone generator running? There is a capacitor known to fail that can stop the motor from running.

Geo

Comment

I can hear the tone wheels spinning. Is that what you mean?

Comment

Rats! Literally...well, it looks like mice got into it and ate a whole bunch of those thread-like wires which are soldered on the circuit board connections, (and who knows what other places), under the Leslie unit. If it was one or two wires, I might be able to fix it--but there are many. I'm afraid it may be a lost cause. I'd have to move it to LA and convince a Hammond tech guy to take it all apart and fix it--who knows what other damage there is that I didn't see. At least the Leslie and the other speakers seem fine--they could have chewed on those, but it doesn't look like it. Please give me your thoughts and/or sympathies.....thank you.

Comment

Oh, darn it!

It'll be a drawn out process on the forum but it IS still fixable. You need to pick a nibbled end of wire and trace it to its next point of attachment.
          Unless this is monstrously modded, each of these wires will be coming from a prescribed place which can be found in the manual by someone who knows what they're looking for....
          having found that, the OTHER end of the wire will also be a prescribed position and we just have to connect those up.

Start with one wire, trace it and put photos up of where it connects. We'll get there eventually!
          -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
          -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
          -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
          -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
          -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Definitely fixable, but, given just how little the T series are selling for, it's one of those cases where a replacement might be easier and cheaper.

All down to you and how much time you want to spend on it. We're here to help, either way!
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

A T-200 is a good source of replacement parts, if you decide to scrap it. It has a Leslie motor which can easily be converted to work in a standard Leslie, and lots of playing keys (often in good shape) that can be used on any banged up L-100 or M-100 chop, where they tend to break a lot.
              Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
              Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Hello Andy,
                Thank you for your thoughts. Amazingly, I've already found a replacement--a T-500. It needs work but I think it has potential. I'm picking it up tomorrow for a mere $35.00...the seller was practically begging me to take it. I will keep the forum posted. Thanks again....

Comment

Replacement found

One way of dealing with my half dead T-200 was to just find another one. Hopefully, it would be in somewhat decent shape without any huge problems. But then I thought it may be quite a daunting task. Finding something on the other side of the country, 2,500 miles away would not do me much good...I don't know if I would much travel more than 100 miles to get one. But as fate would have it, I found a T-500, dirt cheap, only 50 miles away. I went and looked at it today and ended up getting it--I will move it home tomorrow. Here are my initial impressions:
                  • It has hum that gets louder the more the expression pedal is pushed down.
                  • The presets work but the drawbars do not--although with some fiddling, I was able to get the pedal drawbar to work and amazingly, all the pedals worked.
                  • The percussion and the vibrato are working correctly
                  • Drum machine does not work--but who cares
                  • The Leslie and the main speakers work fine
                  • The reverb works
                  • Didn't try the cassette deck--but again, who cares. I heard it could a source of hum?
                  • There seems to be a high frequency harmonic distortion sound heard when playing notes above around "A" above middle "C"--it's not very loud, but makes the upper notes sound "cheesy" for lack of a better word. Lower notes sound OK. I'm not sure if the overall tone is as good as my T-200 but it's too early to tell for sure.

Aside from cleaning everything up and oiling it--(which probably has not been done in years), I'm thinking tackling the obnoxious hum and getting the drawbars to work would be some of the first things I would want to work on. Please share your thoughts and ideas. I will keep the forum posted. Thank you!

Comment

Every now and then over the Years I had the T500 I'd have another crack at tackling the hum, seemed to improve it but it never fully went away.
                    If you're able to hang onto it, don't chuck the T200 just yet, let it sit in reserve til the game plays out a bit further.
                    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-

Comment

Make sure you find the rodents that did the damage and kill them dead! X-(

Those pesky little devils can cause a lot of grief as you have already found out.

I own a lovely T222 which I picked up for about $35 - and spent another $150 to get it down from wherever it was, including a full service etc... Still works beautifully. Those are nice models.

Enjoy the T500!

Nico
                      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request... B-)

Comment

Thank you for your response. The "rodent guy" is coming out today to deal with them. We've never had a problem with them before, but, apparently, he says they are worse this year. I really liked my T-200 series as well and had hoped to restore it to like new condition.

Still not totally sure what I'm doing with this whole thing....

Comment

The T200 is still worth holding on to and fixing when you're able, though the T500 has a few extra features it's not as classy as the T200, I reckon.

The T500 will work as a good reference point for tracing your damaged wires, too.
                          Most of them will come from the same place and go to the same place as the T200, so you've got an example to follow when you try to figure out which wire belongs to which.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendon Wright View Post
                            The T200 is still worth holding on to and fixing when you're able, though the T500 has a few extra features it's not as classy as the T200, I reckon.

The T500 will work as a good reference point for tracing your damaged wires, too.
                            Most of them will come from the same place and go to the same place as the T200, so you've got an example to follow when you try to figure out which wire belongs to which.
                            Double the pleasure - what a pleasure!! Enjoy! ;-)

Nico
                            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request... B-)

Comment

Proud T212 owner here, heavily modified.

You could Frankenmorph your two T’s together into a T700
                              Current:
                              1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
                              Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
                              1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
                              2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
                              1964 C3
                              196x M-102
                              197x X5
                              197x Leslie 825

Comment

Working...
                              X