This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Steps for A-122

After picking up my A-122, I had to wait a considerable amount of time as the area techs were busy. Good for them! I finally had one come to the house and after looking at the organ, based on all the issues, I decided to go forward with a new TrekII pre-amp and a rebuilt power amp to begin the process. At the time, there was a hum, a lot of static and 16 of the 36 drawbar wires were off the back of the drawbar. I wanted to at least have a solid clean power supply and then identify any other issues.

The tech came up recently and spent 6 hours at the house installing the trek II, the new rebuilt power amp, reattaching the drawbar wires, and performing basic maintenance to the 1964 organ. It had not been run for the past 7-10 years but it was a one owner organ and never left the spot it was placed in in 1965 until it came to my house. The cabinet, bench and pedals are in mint condition.

I have her original paperwork and maintenance records and the organ underwent a bus bar cleaning and lube in 1997. The pedals sound fantastic, the power supply is now clean with no hums, pops or static.

Every draw bar works and a tone is present on every key, however, some notes are weak and when depressed cutout and make a static type noise. Its pretty wide spread especially in the higher keys on the manuals, although some bass notes cutout as well. If a press harder and wiggle the keys, which have very little play, the sound comes in and out. It seems as if its a key contact issue.Both manuals do it. I went and tried a bus bar shift on the lower manual only per the A-100 Hammond specs. No real change. Sometimes it sounds very good, other times, the breaking up is very noticeable. I also played each note hard about 50 times and some keys cleared up

So what would be the logical next step?A bus bar cleaning? I find that a tad odd seeing it had one in 1997 already and the organ has been meticulously kept in one spot and played sparingly over the years. I have yet to get in and clean the drawbars properly as in like bob man's video. I was wondering if this could have any impact on the situation.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. The tech that worked on the organ said to play it for awhile and see if it gets better. He also indicated he doesn't do bus bar cleanings. :-(

Once I get this organ working, I have a leslie 21h that appears to have a slight buzz in the treble, upper driver. But I'm thinking it may be the organ issues causing that. But that's for another day..... The tech also hooked that up with a half moon switch. For now, I'm doing everything through the internal speakers to compare and evaluate everything. They sound great!

Thank you for your time.

brian
    1964 A-122 / 21H
    XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Wow, where to start. First, I would never suggest a TrekII preamp for a A-100 series organ. The original preamps are very serviceable. Second, I would never suggest a TrekII preamp in any organ that had mechanical problems like your contacts. Third, I can't imagine spending 6 hours on that 2 hour job. (I realize I wasn't there but 6 hours?)

That said, Hammond used different kinds of busbars which tended to show up in A-100 series and spinets. One type was the round brass busbars. The brass tarnishes and causes intermittent operation. It does require pulling them out and cleaning. I usually use a metal polish followed by a light coating of DeOxit D5. The good news is these busbars don't physically wear out. Also, they don't wear out the contacts like the other versions do. The surface is smooth and wider than the rectangular busbars so more surface contact with no sharp edges. The bad news is they need periodic cleaning.

Geo

Comment

Geo,

Thanks for the response. The other thought I had was this is a foamer I believe (1964). I am only guessing based on the serial number and the fact the original bill of sale is early 1965 and the speaker date stamps put the speakers at Nov 1963. Been in new England its entire life with no real hot environments. So I imagine yanking the manuals will give me a chance to inspect for foam damage and clean the busbars. In an A-100, how big a job is this hours wise?
      1964 A-122 / 21H
      XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Look for the rivets in the back of the manuals. If you have rivets, you've got felt. If not, you have foam. I got lucky on my A-102.

-'64 Hammond A-102
        -'61 Hammond A-100
        -Leslie 147
        -Leslie 145 "Biggie Shortie"

Comment

Thanks Crysalis, I've seen this before and its very useful. No rivet for me. I'm going to have the foam taken out when I do the busbars. Glad it worked out for you!!
          1964 A-122 / 21H
          XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Just did a busbar job on site this afternoon. didn't unsolder any wires. It took 1 1/2 hours. Every contact worked like new.
            This organ had the round brass bars which clean up really nice.

Geo
            Attached Files

Comment

A 100 tops aren`t glued on?

Comment

Originally posted by geoelectro View Post
                Just did a busbar job on site this afternoon. didn't unsolder any wires. It took 1 1/2 hours. Every contact worked like new.
                This organ had the round brass bars which clean up really nice.

Geo
                Thats awesome. I got ahold of a well known tech today who has a fantastic background fixing and refurbishing hammonds in the Boston area. He makes chops as well. He's going to come out and clean the busbars, remove the foam from the organ, put in new felts on both manuals and re-check everything that'd been done. Being a 64, he thought mine had the round busbars as well. I guess those brass busbars need cleaning more often. This one was done in 1997, but it sat for a long time unplayed so perhaps that accelerated the process?

If you don't mind me asking, what are your rates for labor in the great state of Texas?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by skydawg View Post
                A 100 tops aren`t glued on?
                Mine isn't.
                1964 A-122 / 21H
                XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

The lid stretcher is solid. The lid lifts off with the verb dial out and the run switch box out.
                  I leave it assembled locked at 90 degrees pinched there with a clamp if I only need to get at keys or drawbar assembly/switches.
                  Bussbars require you go deeper....
                  1"X 4"X 15" boards to shim genny close enough to lift manuals high enough to access bussbars.
                  Looks like the verb tank and some wiring harness are loosened off.

And Brian,if you 'play in' your A122 many little issues will resolve themselves.
                  People wouldn't dream of taking a 65 year old B2 to a gig but I 'played in' this organ starting in 2000 that had a recent (1997) bussbar/overhaul.
                  This organ is in extra fine original condition right down to the genny caps and the wave files from last Saturday's show prove this organ needs nothing
                  but to be played,enjoyed,and experienced.

If you aren't moving your foamy A122, the New England climate isn't much different than Vancouver,albeit colder at times.Foam doesn't like heat exchange.
                  My road A100 has foam in the upper manual.It has never been an issue after hundreds if not a thousand moves in the last quarter century.
                  Climate controlled storage and how it is moved are everything.
                  Last edited by Sweet Pete; 01-26-2018, 07:58 PM.
                  A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                    The lid stretcher is solid. The lid lifts off with the verb dial out and the run switch box out.
                    I leave it assembled locked at 90 degrees pinched there with a clamp if I only need to get at keys or drawbar assembly/switches.
                    Bussbars require you go deeper....
                    1"X 4"X 15" boards to shim genny close enough to lift manuals high enough to access bussbars.
                    Looks like the verb tank and some wiring harness are loosened off.

And Brian,if you 'play in' your A122 many little issues will resolve themselves.
                    People wouldn't dream of taking a 65 year old B2 to a gig but I 'played in' this organ starting in 2000 that had a recent (1997) bussbar/overhaul.
                    This organ is in extra fine original condition right down to the genny caps and the wave files from last Saturday's show prove this organ needs nothing
                    but to be played,enjoyed,and experienced.

If you aren't moving your foamy A122, the New England climate isn't much different than Vancouver,albeit colder at times.Foam doesn't like heat exchange.
                    My road A100 has foam in the upper manual.It has never been an issue after hundreds if not a thousand moves in the last quarter century.
                    Climate controlled storage and how it is moved are everything.
                    I do see some improvements as I continue to play the organ about an hour each day recently. But some of the notes cut out pretty severely across the registers depending on which draw bars are pulled out. I figured at this point, might as well do the busbar cleaning and while the manuals are out tend to the foam even though I don't believe that is having a negative effect at this time in the organs life. I don't want to have to open it up again later for the foam, and years from now when I pass it along, it will be nice to be able to report it is foam free to the next hammond enthusiast.

That B-2 is a beaut! and why the velcro strips on the top edges of the A-100?

Here's some shots of the ole gal.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	26904415_1594497113976563_994939463987079496_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	603793Click image for larger version

Name:	26907536_1594497167309891_7516686451420021866_n.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	603792Click image for larger version

Name:	27067077_1594497170643224_3410306845702939762_n.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	603791
                    1964 A-122 / 21H
                    XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Great looking A122! 21H looking great too! I've always admired the looks of the A122 and A101,which are similar.
                      Actually got to play the Jazz Cellar A122 and loved it!That organ had a 22H!

The velcro strips are covering some scarring on the finish which is normal for a roaded A100. The keys that sit on top(Nord Stage2 EX88) have the other side of the velcro.
                      No accidents bumping off the upper keyboard.They usually get 'rolled out' together on to a stage and rolled off together after a show.
                      The A100 is still presentable. Up close it has a lot of road 'patina'....still works perfect. '63 was a great year for Hammond!
                      A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

It’s a bit unnerving at time. Never set out to own an Organ with such nice cabinetry. All I really care about is how it sounds. But now that I have this, I’m going to do my best to keep it in this shape. Not like it's going anywhere!! The 21h cabinet has some wear on it which I like. That’s my next project. Insides need some TLC.
                        1964 A-122 / 21H
                        XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Working...
                        X