X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Hammond B3000 and Leslie 3300 vs 2103 and rotorspeed controls

Hi!
    Im fairly new in the hammond/leslie world. Before this week i was hooked up with an SK2 and a 3300 leslie.
    But since i wanted more of a funiture at home I got myself old solid state Hammond B3000 with a 2103 Leslie as a good deal earlier this week.

The Hammond seems to work good together with the Leslie that came with the deal, but when connected through the 11-pin cable to my 3300 Leslie cabinet, i dont seem to be able to control the rotorspeed from the organ anymore.

When looking and comparing the servicemanuals between the two leslies, the pinout specifications seems very similiar except for the voltage on the last pin.
    Any hammond/leslie-gurus on this forum who can explain why it works on one of the leslie-models but not the other? :)

Pinout 3300
    1. Rotary sign
    2. Stationary L
    3. Stationary R
    4. Audio GND
    5. Control GND
    6. Power ON
    7. Leslie Fast
    8. Leslie Slow
    11. +15V out

Pinout 2103
    1. Rotary sign
    2. Stationary L
    3. Stationary R
    4. Audio GND
    5. Control GND
    6. Power ON
    7. Leslie Fast
    8. Leslie Slow
    11. +12V out

The #1 problem with the B-3000 (and I _really_ mean the #1 problem) is bad connections between internal circuit boards; due to bad edge connectors on said boards.

The only plausible reason I can think of for your problem is: Maybe the control circuit in the 3300 requires more current than the 2103 - and some edge connector is just barely making contact. Enough for the demands of the 2103, but not enough for the 3300.

I'd open up the organ and re-seat any connector that seems to have a relation to the switches and/or the Leslie output. Then again, I'd be afraid to open that can of worms...

Ps. I think I know who you are ;)

/Magnus
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Enor's just described the routine maintenance for all LSI Hammonds, especially first generation models like the B3000. Such a common thing that we call it 'LSI Disease'. Start with the above and work your way through the leslie switching circuit. You're basically switching pin 7 or 8 to ground to set the motor speeds so a bad connection somewhere here could well cause the issue.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
        Been doing some measuring/testing for when and what get short circuted when switching leslie full stop and between slow and fast and it doesn't really following the circuitscheme that I found in the manual for the HL722 😁
        Instead of breaking between 5 and 6 when doing a full stop it seems to break between 6 and 7, and on slow I get a short circuit between 7 and 8 instead of 6 and 7 and when on fast and I haven't found any specific short circuit except the fact that between 7 and 8 breaks. So I guess I need to d some renovation on the organ. Still amazed though that 2103 reacts on the strange connections. Or are there like other alternative 11-pinouts? Trying to get hold of an service manual of the B3000 as Pdf on the net to get the the pinout but so far no luck. but it seems strange if it's not the same as the HL722, or am I missing anything? :-) And Hi Magnus! :-)
        /Rikard

Comment

Originally posted by jazzn3rd View Post
          Thanks for the replies!
          Been doing some measuring/testing for when and what get short circuted when switching leslie full stop and between slow and fast and it doesn't really following the circuitscheme that I found in the manual for the HL722 ��
          Instead of breaking between 5 and 6 when doing a full stop it seems to break between 6 and 7, and on slow I get a short circuit between 7 and 8 instead of 6 and 7 and when on fast and I haven't found any specific short circuit except the fact that between 7 and 8 breaks. So I guess I need to d some renovation on the organ. Still amazed though that 2103 reacts on the strange connections. Or are there like other alternative 11-pinouts? Trying to get hold of an service manual of the B3000 as Pdf on the net to get the the pinout but so far no luck. but it seems strange if it's not the same as the HL722, or am I missing anything? :-) And Hi Magnus! :-)
          /Rikard
          You're misinterpreting the pinout somewhat.

5 is the control circuit ground (common).

5 shorts to 6 at all times, when the Leslie is switched on - pin 6 is a "remote power switch" for the Leslie, it has nothing to do with speed switching.
          5 shorts to 7 for tremolo (fast)
          5 shorts to 8 for chorale (slow)
          In stop, 5 is shorted to 6; and nothing else.

The signal ground and the control common (4 and 5) are often connected together at the organ end. And they are also connected together in both your Leslies.

There are different variants on the 11-pin scheme, but the differences only concern the signal connections; depending on how many channels of audio are involved. The speed switching wiring is the same in all 11-pin Leslies.
          Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Working...
          X