This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this website, needing help and informatin

I am one of the newest members to this website and I am seeking a lot of information about the Hammond organ I purchased three months ago. My Hammond is the Commodore 300 Series. It seemed to be working well until two weeks ago when it refused to turn on, make any kind of noise. I posted on here asking for ideas and suggestions. One poster said I should remove the back and use a pencil eraser to check and clean the internal connector cables and check for any blown fuses.

I would like to try to clean the cables, but I do not know the first thing about the inside off this Hammond, so I do not even know what to look for when it comes to the internal connector cables, nor the fuses either. Does anyone know of a site where I can find photos or perhaps even a video that will explain all this to me? If so, I hope someone will send me a lnk and also offer me other ideas about to get it up and running again.

I do not seem to have any good luck when it comes to buying an organ. So far I have bought three different organs since I purchased this home in 2001. Should I consider spending any money toward repairs, or is this model so prone to breaking down that I should junk it and try to find yet another lemon? Would it be possible to remove the 'guts' of this organ and replace it with the guts from a Hammond that has the tone wheels? I am in desperate need of a daily practice organ and I am not sure, as one of the posters pointed out, willing to put forth money and effort to get this organ up and running again, especially since it has very little market value.

I welcome any and all iformation you can give me. Please bear in mind, I know absolutely nothing about this organ or how to do even the most simple of fixes. Thank you for your help.

Each circuit board is connected together with wire cables. At the end of the cables are connectors which plug into the connectors mounted on each circuit board. The customary suggestion here Is to spray the connectors with Deoxit. Unplug and plug in each connector one at a time. The thing to keep in mind is that electronic components can fail. Intermittent issues with my organ have been caused by faulty disk capacitors. This organ is from the same family as yours.

Yes, it might be worth investing money to repair the organ if it has a real appeal to you and you can find someone that has the knowledge to work on it. I am very fortunale to know a tach who can work on any Hammond and other electronic organs. And yes, you can certainly spend more money than the organ is worth on troubleshooting defective components.

No, I don’t see any possibility of substituting a tone wheel generator. These organs have only one contact under each key and do not have the space to fit a 9 contact stack as needed to support a tone wheel generator. This type of generator would not enable the bright percussion tab voicing and string ensemble as your Commodore has.

If you want a tone wheel console organ then I would suggest looking for A-100. E-100, E-200 and E-300 series, all with built in speakers. Other tone wheel organs such as a B-3, and C-3 etc. require an external tone cabinet. The preference around here is a Leslie type.

Models RT and D-100 have a 32 note pedal board.
    Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
    Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
    Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

Working...
    X