X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Hammond XK3 with an original Neo Ventilator

Hi friends

I will be getting an XK3 next week and will be running it through my trusty first version Neo Vent. When I owned vintage Hammonds I would run a mono signal into it. With the stereo outputs of my XK3 should I continue using a mono signal or would I benefit from running a stereo pair into the Vent?

I recall when the original Vent came out, the earlier version had a solder bridge that needed removing to allow stereo input. Does anyone remember anything about that issue? It seems a long time ago now!

Best
    Dave
    Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5, X5
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145, 910, 415
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

I think - though I could be wrong - that the only things that are stereo on the XK are the Leslie sim and the reverb. If you are not using either, keep it simple and go mono to the Neo. If you are using the reverb, and you confirm that it is stereo, go stereo to the Neo.

Comment

Just run it mono. Even with the “stereo mod” those channels are summed into mono as it enters the processor. The reason for stereo is primarily for the thru when in bypass.

Geo

Comment

I sat in on someone elses rig at an SPCA benefit a short while ago.
        The top keyboard was a Korg Triton 76? Kept popping keys out of the channels......they went back in.
        Owned up to it to the owner.......we both had a good laugh.

Below that was an XK-3/Vent that was a pleasure to play.The Vent on top of the XK-3 had a mono cable IIRC.
        There are large Motion Sound amps with this rig and I play this room all the time with just a floor wedge.
        Obviously the Motion Sound came first.....

Anyway,the sound tech had no control over the keys volume......not that this rig sounded bad by any means.
        We both prefer my Yorkville wedge pointed away from the house! Or the 147 or the 251.

I know for a fact my stuff sounds way huge in this FOH with a floor wedge only for my keys monitor.
        Knowing I have the room FOH for any keyboard features more than makes up for the lack of an old fashioned big a** amp IMO.

Bottom line? The Hammond XK-3 sounds great through a Vent and big amp so if you have to overrule the FOH tech to get 'your' sound,so be it!
        The FOH tech noted my Nord Stage 2 EX88 has a great organ sim even without the Vent! He also mixes my A100/251 and B2/147.

I'm going to give the new Hammond XK-5 a listen. Haven't played one yet.Once you are used to presets it's hard to go without.

I can dig out the Vent stereo mod instructions for you if needed!
        A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
          I'm going to give the new Hammond XK-5 a listen. Haven't played one yet.Once you are used to presets it's hard to go without.
          KeyB Legend! ;)
          Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Thanks for so many helpful comments and anecdotes! I do vaguely remember the stereo bypass thing now. After a disastrous experience with a mk2 Vent that broke down three times I was lucky to find an original one at a fair price.

I will use a mono connection as recommended.

Thanks all!
            Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5, X5
            Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
            Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145, 910, 415
            www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

IME as an FOH mixperson, "My sound" is most always synonymous with "too **** loud in the house.

Comment

Exactly Tim!

In order to even hear myself playing over 'keyboard amps' I was forced to make everyone hear it too.
                When I'm back there this Saturday with my floor wedge? All smiles my friend!
                I mean; it's only a Midas and Macauley rig....maybe some people would rather 'share' their sound over a Motion Sound amp?The set was 25 minutes......
                I'm totally on your side,however being one keyboard person in a five band 40 player show without my gear there wasn't much else I could do.
                I work with these folks all the time.The only sour grapes person is usually the FOH mixperson IME.
                While supporters high five me, it's unlikely the tech is going to intervene.This Saturday will be different,there won't be a keyboard amp 'off the stage'.
                A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Working...
                X