This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Model A BC or DV

I am gonna get a Hammond R-100 as a temporary organ until I can save enough to get one of the mentioned organs, I was wondering which to go with. The Model A, Model BC or a model DV. which one should I go for.

Depends. What do you value the most? Scanner vibrato, chorus generator, 4 legs, or best "giggability" (due to sleek design)?
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

An interesting selection of early Hammond choices...

The Model A is the smallest and lightest of the 3. It also is the most sonically limiting as it has neither Chorus or Vibrato (only Tremulant).

The Model BC is a 4-legger, but is heavier with a slightly larger cabinet than the A and the inclusion of the Chorus Generator

The Model DV is the culmination of this generation of organs....it is a BC in a C cabinet, with Vibrato replacing the tremulant, but still retaining the Chorus Generator. Certainly the heaviest of the 3.

As Magnus said previously....it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish. Based on sound alone - I would opt for the DV. For transport or even collectability (the latter being purely subjective) I would opt for the A.
      1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
      Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
      Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
      New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

Not mentioned but certainly a great candidate?
        BCV
        Mine is not for sale.
        A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Or, find an AV - small, 4-legged, and with vib/chorus. No chorus genny, but you might not find that necessary
          Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Originally posted by mason357 View Post
            I am gonna get a Hammond R-100 as a temporary organ until I can save enough to get one of the mentioned organs, I was wondering which to go with. The Model A, Model BC or a model DV. which one should I go for.
            Here's my opinion...
            The Model A is obviously the first Hammonds produced. There were only 2500 of these made, so supplies are very limited. Being that these will be 80 years old, they will need a lot of work unless they have already been rebuilt.
            None of the Model A had vibrato, only a Tremulant.

There was only one other variation of the Model A from the factory, that is the Model AB, which is exactly the same as the Model A internally (with Tremulant), but in a larger B cabinet.
            Any other variation would have been a retrofit in the field.

The BC was the same internally as the Model AB, with the addition of the chorus generator in place of the tremulant.
            These may be easier to come by, but many have had the chorus generator disabled or removed, and converted in the field to a Model BCV.

The DV was a designation given to a Model D that was retrofit in the field to add vibrato to replace the chorus generator.
            The D is in the "church" style cabinet.
            There were no Model DV produced at the factory.

The list of models you are searching for seems to be pretty specific. Out of curiosity, I would really like to know why these specific models?
            Since Percussion is not a requirement, I wonder why a CV or C2 or B2 is not on your list?
            I have had many CV given to me over the years because the owners could not sell them and they just wanted them gone.

This is a source for information on all the various Hammond models:
            http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/all_hammonds.html

Bob
            In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
            In reality, there is.
            '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
            H-324/Series 10 TC
            '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
            Look at some of my rescues:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

The chorus generator makes some things in the organ a complete PITA to service. I've never heard one that worked, so on the sound I cannot comment.

Comment

A guy on Ebay that is willing to put one on a pallet so yellow freight can ship them. These are the ones I could afford
                Model A 750
                BC 700
                DV 500

All cases are in not so great shape but I could fix the case no problem. All electronics work.

Originally posted by Bobmann View Post
                Here's my opinion...
                The Model A is obviously the first Hammonds produced. There were only 2500 of these made, so supplies are very limited. Being that these will be 80 years old, they will need a lot of work unless they have already been rebuilt.
                None of the Model A had vibrato, only a Tremulant.

There was only one other variation of the Model A from the factory, that is the Model AB, which is exactly the same as the Model A internally (with Tremulant), but in a larger B cabinet.
                Any other variation would have been a retrofit in the field.

The BC was the same internally as the Model AB, with the addition of the chorus generator in place of the tremulant.
                These may be easier to come by, but many have had the chorus generator disabled or removed, and converted in the field to a Model BCV.

The DV was a designation given to a Model D that was retrofit in the field to add vibrato to replace the chorus generator.
                The D is in the "church" style cabinet.
                There were no Model DV produced at the factory.

The list of models you are searching for seems to be pretty specific. Out of curiosity, I would really like to know why these specific models?
                Since Percussion is not a requirement, I wonder why a CV or C2 or B2 is not on your list?
                I have had many CV given to me over the years because the owners could not sell them and they just wanted them gone.

This is a source for information on all the various Hammond models:
                http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/all_hammonds.html

Bob

Comment

I guess it all depends on whether or you want scanner vibrato or not. If so, get the DV.

If you want a chorus generator, get a BC.

If you don't care for either feature and are OK with old fashioned tremolo (amplitude modulation), as well as owning a piece of history, get the model A.

Comment

Originally posted by mason357 View Post
                    A guy on Ebay that is willing to put one on a pallet so yellow freight can ship them. These are the ones I could afford
                    Model A 750
                    BC 700
                    DV 500

All cases are in not so great shape but I could fix the case no problem. All electronics work.

FWIW...the BC you are looking at does not appear to have a fallboard, these are hard to come by if that is important to you.

The Model A looks like the cabinet is all there.

The DV looks like it will need the most work. It has had at least 2 different colors of paint brushed on, if you want to refinish to original it is going to require a lot of work to remove all that paint.
                    The bottom half of the fallboard is also missing, although a C or D style fallboard is easier to find that a B style.
                    The fact that it has been painted and has keys worn through suggest that this was either gigged or used in a club which means a lot of internal wear.

Bob
                    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
                    In reality, there is.
                    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
                    H-324/Series 10 TC
                    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
                    Look at some of my rescues:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Some folks are naturals,deals seem to find them.I would 'kick a few more tires' before going all in here!
                      65 years after the fact in Bluesy-ana? Tough to start out in a combed through market that has had it's share of weather related setbacks!
                      To the northeast of where you are and to the extreme northwest of Louisiana,there are way more options.
                      Even Florida has a lot of retired players so there are instruments there too.
                      Having an unseen, unheard organ shipped to me here in Vancouver? Ain't gonna happen now,not twenty years ago!

The nice BCV I obtained here three years ago set me back 200 CA. It needs a bench and the pedalboard is really,really....worn out!
                      Great sound as it is; 'all worn out', receiving some attention now.
                      I installed smoothie playing keys on it!

Hard to watch the birthplace of blues and jazz endure a Hammond desert. I feel your pain mason357!
                      They are all beaters IMO,wouldn't waste my time,find a clean estate sale A100 and you'll be happy!
                      A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

I revise my previous post. The DV has both chorus and scanner vibrato IF the chorus generator is still present and working. Could be nice after a cosmetic restoration.

Comment

If I had to choose between chorus and vibrato/chorus I would go with the latter.
                          Both work on this BCV,and V chorus is delicious! Not that the chorus generator isn't useful,it it magnificent on 'pads'.

Morgan Davis's "Why'd You Lie" as recorded by Colin James has a DV on it!
                          Rick makes that ol girl swirl! IIRC the chorus genny on his works too! I know it is a Northern.

Comment

I'm in the extreme northwest of LA Texas and Arkansas are 15min away. There are some nice ones with a nice price. Vintage Organ of Houston will delver free within 250mi which I'm in range of. And the people here the local Hammond dealer wants 4K for slightly better condition ones someone on craigslist wants 470 for a Baldwin electronic spinet organ. I was just thinking Ebay because I bought my Yamaha CP-70 off there Yellow freight charged 130 to ship from New Mexico to LA but the people on Ebay most won't ship. Someone is also selling a R-124 in Texarkana and wants 200 it doesn't even have pedals or a bench. Man I wish I could find one for a good price.

Worse than that the church I played piano for bought a new place and in the new church was a mint C-2 with Leslie. It was in the time I was taking care of my dad so I wasn't going to church. They would have givin it to me for free. That one still hurts.

Good catch on the fallboard I didn't notice that. I'm good with woodwork so case condition don't matter I know nothing about Hammonds but am good with electronics too.

So you guys would hold out for a better one? I already have a Leslie and a T-500 I'm learning how to work on and will make a offer on the R-124 cause I have a bench and pedalboard that will work. Better than a spinet (I run out of keys and pedals) better than my Baldwin model 5 (sounds horrible like a saw synth) not as good as a A100 etc.

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                            Some folks are naturals,deals seem to find them.I would 'kick a few more tires' before going all in here!
                            65 years after the fact in Bluesy-ana? Tough to start out in a combed through market that has had it's share of weather related setbacks!
                            To the northeast of where you are and to the extreme northwest of Louisiana,there are way more options.
                            Even Florida has a lot of retired players so there are instruments there too.
                            Having an unseen, unheard organ shipped to me here in Vancouver? Ain't gonna happen now,not twenty years ago!

The nice BCV I obtained here three years ago set me back 200 CA. It needs a bench and the pedalboard is really,really....worn out!
                            Great sound as it is; 'all worn out', receiving some attention now.
                            I installed smoothie playing keys on it!

Hard to watch the birthplace of blues and jazz endure a Hammond desert. I feel your pain mason357!
                            They are all beaters IMO,wouldn't waste my time,find a clean estate sale A100 and you'll be happy!

Comment

IIRC, on the A the manuals' tones go 'all the way down'. I like that. Do any of the other models do this? That would be a big thing for me, but then I don't play, just fix and listen :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X