Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking up my first Hammond tomorrow. Tips?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up my first Hammond tomorrow. Tips?

So tomorrow I'm picking up my first ever Hammond + Leslie. (it's a Hammond x5, Leslie unknown)

Does anyone have some basic/simple tips I can't forget when setting up everything? I really want to do this the right way!

Thank you all for your help and knowledge!
    Hammond X5
    Leslie 770

Bring a friend. 😀
    Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Haha I will do.

So the hammond and the leslie haven't been used for a few years. What type of oil can I use for the leslie?

Does motor oil (say for instance car oil) work? Or do I need a special kind of oil like the Hammond oil?
      Hammond X5
      Leslie 770

Comment

Don't use motor oil for sure. From my experience use oil specially made for leslies, that's what was recommended to me and what I did. The same for hammond tonewheels, use Hammond oil. But I think the X5 doesn't have a tonewheel right?
        SjoerdHammond channel with great Hammond jams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmx...WuqqCbvtj-ktNA

1960 Hammond A-100
        1964 Leslie 251
        2013 Hammond SK1-73

Comment

Okay, thanks for your help Sjoerd! The x5 is a clonewheel indeed.

So I will order Hammond oil, but if I want to test the leslie tomorrow, should I oil it with something different or can I use the leslie until I receive my Hammond oil?
          Hammond X5
          Leslie 770

Comment

Originally posted by bramnaus View Post
            Okay, thanks for your help Sjoerd! The x5 is a clonewheel indeed.

So I will order Hammond oil, but if I want to test the leslie tomorrow, should I oil it with something different or can I use the leslie until I receive my Hammond oil?
            You don’t want or need Hammond oil. It’s a bit on the light (as in ”runny”) side for a Leslie; and your X5 needs no oil at all.

Any type of machine oil works fine with the Leslie motors, but get something with a little more viscosity. Sewing machine oil is too light and gets splashed around by the centrifugal force.
            Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Working...
            X