This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot The Fake

Good morning and Happy Easter everyone! How about a little 'find the fake B3' to replace the egg hunt.....
    and of course it's also April 1st.....
    kudos for anyone who can spot it on Seattle CL!
    It's a '61 alright.....just ain't a B3!
    A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Yep, what you got there is a BV case with -3 series guts... hole for the chorus/normal vibrato switch, and a curved expression pedal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bv conversion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	604161
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bv conversion 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	604160

Comment

Thats something you don't see every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Morbius View Post
        Thats something you don't see every day!
        Actually this is pretty common...I have seen many. A "B3" is worth more than a BV, and unfortunately many people are not forthcoming with the details of the origin of the organ. People will put whatever -3 series or A100 guts they can find into a B style case in order to get more $$$ for it.

The OP has pictured someone who was pretty lazy, as the swell pedal and the music rack could have been transplanted as well.

Also, many B3s have been used and abused in churches and bars where they are simply worn out and beyond costly repair. People will get a donor and use the parts to restore the B3 which is more desirable than any -3 donor.

As time goes on, I wager that you will see more and more of these transplants as the population of B3s decrease. If someone wants a Hammond, only a "B3" will do...even if it is not a purebred.

Bob
        In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
        In reality, there is.
        '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
        H-324/Series 10 TC
        '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
        Look at some of my rescues:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

It plays and sounds the same, and can be a lot less expensive. So long as someone does not misrepresent the unit when selling it. I kinda like the funkiness of the old expression pedal. And I prefer the A100 non-music-rest.

Comment

My first full size console was a conversion like this. A100 inside a B2 case. I've got mixed feelings about it... I'd feel bad if I ever sold it, but I can't get excited about playing it these days.

Comment

Three years ago I had it all planned out.Gut the BCV and the A102 and mate them in the BCV voila a B3!
              Then I replaced the chorus genny run motor to audition the BCV off the matching transformers.
              Once I heard what a BC actually sounds like(sort of) I was never going to do this.
              No room in the new place for the B2/147 so guess where the A102 is? Right here beside me!

I am making an output curve for the BCV and recapping those 81 year old tone genny filters.
              From what I can remember of my CV, the vibrato chorus sounded great! Will recap the V preamp too.

If the seller of this CL franken-3 was honest enough to call it what it is he might recoup some of his $.
              People buy fake B3/C3's and find out later they've been had.
              The only -2 conversion I've sold was sold as such,I was right up front about it being a C2 with B3 parts.
              Years later the 3rd owner since me,member Europanaut ended up on here asking questions.
              A previous owner hadn't been totally honest about it not being a C3.
              THAT is the ,main reason I won't convert an organ.Both this BCV and A102 deserve to play on.

If an organ is a total basket case then I'm for a transplant! I play the manuals,pedals,controls....I don't play the cabinet.
              A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

everytime I hear someone changing cabinets I just shake my head and grin. anyone that really knows Hammond organs knows that they all sound different. I have owned a B-2, three b-3's, a c-3, an a-102 and an a-100 which I presently have. the b-2 I had was in fair condition and only used as a practice organ. the three b-3's were in great condition, but to me just fair sounding. next was my c-3. great sounding much better than my three b-3's. next was my a-102. great sounding better than the c-3. it was ballsy sounding, chunky on the percussion, the best Hammond I owned to date. a 1963 model. finally my a-100, 1962 model which I presently own. the best sounding by far from all the organs I owned. going back to that all Hammonds sound different. when I purchased my C-3, years ago in south florida, I went to a place called Victor's piano and organs. the salesman who helped me stated that all hammonds sound the same. just ignored him, didn't say anything and tried over thirty organs they had. my wife was with me who is not musically trained and never saw a Hammond organ. after I played the c-3, she commented how different the c-3 sounded from all the other organs. so guys to me it should be how the instrument sounds, not what cabinet it's in.......Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryjanca View Post
                  everytime I hear someone changing cabinets I just shake my head and grin. anyone that really knows Hammond organs knows that they all sound different. I have owned a B-2, three b-3's, a c-3, an a-102 and an a-100 which I presently have. the b-2 I had was in fair condition and only used as a practice organ. the three b-3's were in great condition, but to me just fair sounding. next was my c-3. great sounding much better than my three b-3's. next was my a-102. great sounding better than the c-3. it was ballsy sounding, chunky on the percussion, the best Hammond I owned to date. a 1963 model. finally my a-100, 1962 model which I presently own. the best sounding by far from all the organs I owned. going back to that all Hammonds sound different. when I purchased my C-3, years ago in south florida, I went to a place called Victor's piano and organs. the salesman who helped me stated that all hammonds sound the same. just ignored him, didn't say anything and tried over thirty organs they had. my wife was with me who is not musically trained and never saw a Hammond organ. after I played the c-3, she commented how different the c-3 sounded from all the other organs. so guys to me it should be how the instrument sounds, not what cabinet it's in.......Larry

Absolutely agree that they all have their own unique sound. Of my choice of dozens of various Hammonds over the years, the one I kept is the C2 that is in my living room.

I also see the need to mix and match parts in order to keep as many Hammonds running as possible. I do this all the time.

The point of the post I think is that there are people out there who misrepresent what they have.
                  Perhaps it is just a principal sort of thing, but I do not agree with calling a transplanted BV anything other than what it is, no matter how great it may sound. It just does not seem ethical to misrepresent something in order to get more $$$ for it.

I guess I am just old fashioned that way.

Bob
                  In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
                  In reality, there is.
                  '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
                  H-324/Series 10 TC
                  '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
                  Look at some of my rescues:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Working...
                  X