X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond C-2 Effects Loop

Hey everybody!

I recently purchased a Hammond C-2 and JR-20 Hammond Tone Cabinet. The story goes that these two items were purchased from the Hammond dealership together back in the 1950s. The C-2 has ratchet drawbars and the JR-20 still has the reverb unit intact.

The combo sounds great. Nice and mellow (wax capacitors in the C-2) but well defined and not muddy. Just perfect.

But here is my dilemma. I want to use the JR-20 as this combo will be living in my guest room and I don’t need need a lot of volume. So I want to connect the C-2 directly through the 5 pin out/6 pin in interface to the JR-20. However, I also want to use a Neo Ventilator II for the Leslie 122 simulation. The signal needs to leave the Hammond, go to the Ventilator, then come back into the Hammond somehow so that it can be sent to the JR-20.

This is an effects loop. Can someone give me some instructions on how this can be done?

You guys have worked miracles for me before, I’m just so grateful for this forum and all the knowledge that can be found here.

Cheers!
    Before the bird learned to fly, he first went out on a limb. - that's me

sigpic

1950 Hammond C-2 - at home
    1965 Hammond RT-3 - at church
    1950s Hammond JR-20 Tone Cabinet -at home
    1950s Leslie 21H - at church
    1995 Yamaha PSR640 - home, had it since I was 11
    2009 Yamaha YPG-635 - my own, but it's at church, too
    1950 Everett Series 100 Hepplewhite Console Piano - home
    1960 Wurlitzer Spinet something-or-piano - at Mom's house (she won't let me sell it)

There has been some discussion on this subject.
    Building a line out isn't difficult or you can purchase one from Trek, however the hard part is adapting the Vent out to a device requiring a higher gain balanced input.

Trek also makes an effects loop how ever the effects insertion is done at the manual level.

Jim

Comment

This is for the AO-28 (-3 series amp) but would likely work just fine in an AO-10 as well:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq...ics/fxloop.gif
      Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
      Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

On my wife's home rig, I have a line out to a vent to a mixer with headphones. You could use a powered mixer driving an 122XB transformer (available from ToneWheel General) to generate a balanced output

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
          This is for the AO-28 (-3 series amp) but would likely work just fine in an AO-10 as well:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq...ics/fxloop.gif
          Hey Enor!

Thanks so much for responding. And Jim too, I appreciate the input. Crowdsourcing,

I have seen this schematic here on the forums, although I am not very good at reading schematics. I will have to bone up on my skills and build up my confidence before I tackle this one.

But but if you'll suffer a couple of questions on the schematic:

1. It appears that there are two tubes depicted here (V1A, V1B). Note (2.) says that V1 is a 12AU7A tube. (I think, if I build this, I would use a 12AX7A for a little more power.) So is this schematic showing two tubes in a chassis or just one tube connected twice?

2. None of the pins on the tubes V1A or V1B are identified (pin 1, pin 2, etc.) In the power supply schematic, pin 7 of the 6X4 tube is identified (I think). So how would you go about making the connections if you don't know which pins to use?

3. What does note (3.) mean?

I'm sorry, I know there are lots of questions.

This organ will be so beautiful when she's done! Ha!

sigpic

1960 Wurlitzer Spinet something-or-piano - at Mom's house (she won't let me sell it)

Comment

Originally posted by mpnmatthews View Post
            1. It appears that there are two tubes depicted here (V1A, V1B). Note (2.) says that V1 is a 12AU7A tube. (I think, if I build this, I would use a 12AX7A for a little more power.) So is this schematic showing two tubes in a chassis or just one tube connected twice?
            Don't use anything other than a 12AU7 - the circuit is designed to function well within an existing amp, adding more gain here will throw the entire design out of whack, so to speak. One 12AU7 has two identical sections - the A side and the B side. Only one tube is in the schematic

2. None of the pins on the tubes V1A or V1B are identified (pin 1, pin 2, etc.) In the power supply schematic, pin 7 of the 6X4 tube is identified (I think). So how would you go about making the connections if you don't know which pins to use?
            The symbols on the schematic indicate what's connected to the plate (anode), grid and cathode respectively. Different tube types have different pinouts; you're best off looking up the 12AU7 in a pinout table to see which pin is which.

3. What does note (3.) mean?
            The tube needs a heater voltage connected in order to make it light up (and consequently work). This is often not even drawn into the schematic diagram, as here - but it is merely mentioned where to source this voltage.

There are absolutely lethal voltages at play here, and with your lack of routine and knowledge I strongly discourage you from attempting this build yourself. Find someone who works on guitar amplifiers if you don't have an organ tech at hand. Any tube amp person should be able to put this together for you quite easily.
            Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Enor,

Thanks again for your help. As I said, my skills aren’t up to snuff so I will have to work my way up to this one.

I appreciate your input!

sigpic

Comment

Update:

I attempted to interrupt the signal in the place that everyone says it should be - from the wiper of the time pot. I wanted to try this to see if it would work, since there seemed to be some question about whether it would.

Well, as predicted, it doesn’t. The sound from the JR-20 is anemic. Like music for church mice.

Whats worse, I tried to put it back to stock by just reconnecting the green wire to the wiper terminal on the tone pot.

Now, instead of the powerful sound it was before, it’s still a very small sound coming from the organ, even though everything is back to stock now.

i will be having the Schleicher Effects Loop built by an amp tech near here, but until then any ideas why the C2 sound is so low?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X