This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start motor taking a long time to engage

Hello all, I just got a B3 1963. Very nice sounds great but the starter motor takes a long time before it will engage maybe a minute to a minute and a half it does eventually engage and running sounds great. But what is causing the long delay? Thank you for your help Jason

Do you hear a grinding sound? If so, see this recent thread:

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...h-his-first-M3!
    1956 Hammond B3, Hammond PR-40; Roland D-50

Comment

Well it makes the normal noise when you flip the starter but after reading that I think it might be the same thing where it may need oil. Can I spray a lubricant in it or do I need special hammond oil. I did manually push it in then flipped the switched and it engaged right away.

Comment

You could try a spray lubricant just to get things cleaned out. There's likely very viscous residue on there that is preventing free movement. Ultimately, though you want to use Hammond oil (or whatever oil you choose to use) on that area. Oil will likely dissolve the gunk, just more slowly than something that is solvent based.
        1956 Hammond B3, Hammond PR-40; Roland D-50

Comment

Originally posted by jwb1231970 View Post
          Hello all, I just got a B3 1963. Very nice sounds great but the starter motor takes a long time before it will engage maybe a minute to a minute and a half it does eventually engage and running sounds great. But what is causing the long delay? Thank you for your help Jason
          Take a look at this:

It shows what needs to happen for that mechanism to work properly.
          That large gear on the shaft inside the TG is not serviced by any of the oil wicks, so it often needs a couple drops of oil to keep it moving along the shaft smoothly.

Bob
          In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
          In reality, there is.
          '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
          H-324/Series 10 TC
          '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
          Look at some of my rescues:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Thank you, I did spray some lube and manually pushed in and out - I'll see how it's doing today

Comment

Originally posted by jwb1231970 View Post
              Thank you, I did spray some lube and manually pushed in and out - I'll see how it's doing today
              I mean no offense and do not wish to belittle your abilities, but to eliminate the likely causes we just need to be clear...when you say pushed in and out you are talking about the shaft in the start motor with the small gear...the large gear must move axially (back and forth) on the shaft as well. If you have fat fingers, you may need to use a screwdriver or something to push on it. If this gear does not move freely (it moves about 1/2 inch) the mechanism will not function properly.

If both gears move along their respective shafts smoothly, there is a possibility that there is a misalignment issue between the start motor and the TG.

Another cause can be that the teeth on one or both gears are worn or more likely have a burr on the gear that can be caused by the gears grinding together too much before engaging.

Also make sure that the screws that hold the start motor to the TG have not worked loose...these are the 2 long hex headed screws, one on top and the other on the bottom that you can see in that video preview above.

Bob
              In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
              In reality, there is.
              '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
              H-324/Series 10 TC
              '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
              Look at some of my rescues:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Engaged right away - just needed some lube I guess

Comment

No it's still not consistent but after watching that video I'm going to record on my phone what's happening when I hold the start switch. If I push that rod or shaft in like he does in the video , mine will go in and out but I do notice that at some point it gets stuck in the in position. I don't think that's anything big but thought I'd mention it.

Top leslie fast speed not going as fast as it should...oiled the rotor and also the top of motor in those little holes in a circle but still no luck...any thoughts on this

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the shaft on the right but I haven't tried the other one yet to see if it moves freely

Comment

The other issue you could be having is the start motor bypass resistor.
                    Once you get that gear moving smoothly every time you engage the start switch?
                    Have a look under the AC terminal strip cover on the tone generator to locate the bypass resistor.
                    Take readings of ohmage and temperature on that old ceramic 'heat sink'.
                    It is designed to bring down the start motor RPM a little.....if you bypass it a good chance it will start and stay running.
                    A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Some years back I had one that would not engage. I grabbed the start motor and twisted. It's worked fine ever since :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_at_Jonas View Post
                        Some years back I had one that would not engage. I grabbed the start motor and twisted. It's worked fine ever since :-)
                        That same "treatment" worked for me on a fussy A-100, Tim. Worked great ! Actually I could somewhat see the misalignment, so it was not done without care.
                        :)
                        Roger Memphis
                        C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
                        CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

It was the cold garage, once it warmed up it engaged right away

Comment

Ditto the delicately crank on the starter motor cage suggestion! Thanks! Both gears and shafts moved smoothly and completely but starter gear kept pushing the run gear back with no engage. Twisted the the starter cage inward to the left to move away from the starter gear. Works every time now.
                            49 years on Keys, now playing at Radius Church in North Hollywood, CA and elsewhere. Yamaha S90 ES; Novation Impulse 61; Logic/MainStage on MacBook Pro 15" Quad core; Original iPad; iPad Pro; Saffire Pro 24 interface; Korg Nanokontrol; Behringer Power Play personal mixer. Other: Leslie 120 with Treble Horn modded into Bogen CHB 100; Alto powered monitor for synth backline when gigging out. Leslie 122XB

Comment

Working...
                            X