This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only able to play one note at a time in pedals

Recently I have noticed a very appreciable difference in the volume between several of the pedal bass notes on my Hammond Commodore organ. Perhaps they were there all along and I simply failed to notice them until now, but they certainly stand out something awful these days. Is this a common problem with the Hammond pedals? Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix the problem? I have contacted several supposedly-reputable Hammond organ repair men, but when I mention that I have a Commodore series organ, all of them say they have no training whatsoever about them and do not seem interested in making a house call. If there is a 'technical' fix, don't bother telling me. I have zilch knowledge
    about even the most basic repairs so telling me something technical would be nothing but a waste of your precious time and in-depth knowledge.

What do you suppose the logic---or lack thereof---when Hammond decided that they would not build pedals on their line of organs where it is not possible to play two notes at the same time? In a good deal of the music I play, it often requires two pedals to be played at once. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

I am still fairly new to this site but so far when I have posted on here, I have received a number of extremely helpful replies, suggestions and tips. Thanks to all of you for having such an incredible depth of knowledge and the willingness to share it with others.

Originally posted by Watertownorganguy View Post
    What do you suppose the logic---or lack thereof---when Hammond decided that they would not build pedals on their line of organs where it is not possible to play two notes at the same time? In a good deal of the music I play, it often requires two pedals to be played at once. Has anyone found a way around this problem?
    The Commodore is supposed to play multiple pedal notes at the same time. If yours won't, there's something wrong with it.
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

It's a home organ, not a classical or theatre model, and in that genre, playing two pedals is hardly ever called for, so many console organs and almost all spinets have monophonic pedals. With later instruments having things like string bass and bass guitar, monophonic pedals actually deliver a cleaner bass line. I often switch my Roland to monophonic for that reason. Classical and theatre pieces - goes back to polyphonic.

That said, the Commodore is one of the consoles that does have polyphonic pedals.

As far as fixing the problem goes, first make sure it's not room acoustics (it often is, in my room, G stands out as the bass speaker is firing right down the hall and there's a standing wave present. I have to block the doorway with a chair to minimise it). See if the problem is still present when using headphones. If it is, then perhaps the usual 'routine maintenance' for all LSI Hammonds might help. Unplug, clean and reseat every internal connector, one at a time. This can cure all sorts of ills, but is not guaranteed to fix everything. Try that and see what you've got once it's done.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Only able to play one note at a time in pedals

Recently I posted that I did not understand why Hammond did not make it possible to play two notes at the same time in the pedals. A poster informed that I should be able to play two notes at a time, and if I wasn't able to do so, something was wrong with my organ. He did not, however, give me any ideas as to how I might solve the problem. If anyone call tell me more, I would appreciate hearing from you. Mine is a dreaded Commodore series. Also, I have noticed that there is sometimes a very noticeable difference in the volume in some of the bass pedals also. If anyone knows how that issue can be resolved, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!!

Comment

Didn't you already ask that question? I seem to remember saying that room acoustics are very often to blame, with standing waves causing certain notes to boom and others to fade. I have this issue with my Roland. It's fine, but the subwoofer fires right down the hall and it resonates at the lowest G.

It might have been better to keep this in the same thread that you started previously - I'll read back over it and merge if required.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Usually when an organ is designed to play only one note at a time it’s for costs reasons. Lower end models, monophonic pedals. Higher end models, polyphonic pedals. Also, a significant number of players only ever play one note at a time so I guess the manufacturers took advantage of that.

Geo

Comment

Threads merged. Please don't open multiple threads on the same subject, it makes things harder to follow and makes work for the moderators to make sense of it, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X