X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on an Inherited organ

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice, guidance, input... pretty much anything that someone thinks might help on the following situation...

My Grandmother passed away in 1998 and bequeathed to me her Hammond E-112. It was living with Mom in Texas until early last year when she left there and the organ came to me in the Indianapolis area. It has been in my son's house since it came here (he had more room) but now he's moving out of state and I need to decide what to do with the organ.

So here's my problem...

My Grandma left it to me because I had a nice touch when I played it when I was about 12. While the sentiment makes me feel very loved, I'm trying to be practical.

The organ needs some work, some parts don't work but I can't remember exactly which ones. An elderly gentlemen neighbor of Mom's who was very familiar with Hammonds played it last year but not everything was working. Mom got rid of the speaker while she had the organ and the cord is brittle and no longer safe to plug in.

I need to decide what to do with/about the organ. One option, of course, is to dump it but the thought of that makes me a little sick. I could make some room in our house which would be difficult but not impossible but then I'd need to decide what to do with it.

So should I...

Try to sell it (would anyone even want to buy it?) or give it away?
    Dump it?
    Bring it home and either
    a) Try to fix it myself (I'm fairly handy)
    b) Pay to have it refurbished

Part of my problem is that I have no idea about how hard it would be to refurbish myself or the cost of refurbish either myself or by paying a third party. I know the speaker was a pretty important part (selling the organ wise) and that's gone so it may not be worth anything monetarily.

So help? Anyone?

I repair Hammonds everyday. Many times a significant number of problems can be dealt with in a single service call. I might suggest having a Hammond Tech look at it and give you an evaluation. He may actually be able to address most issues while there and give an estimate of further service needed. Since it has sentimental value being armed with a professional opinion would help.

Geo

Comment

The E-100 series is a somewhat underrated model, mostly by people who haven't thoroughly tried them out. I know, because I was one of them but then I restored one and it completely turned me around.

Fix it up!
      Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
      Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Hi. This is an association's website that is searchable for technicians that work on electronic music devices.

http://www.mitatechs.org/

I also have an E-112.
        -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

If you want a really good tech to look at it in your area, contact Lonnie Smith in Anderson at Smiths Music. He's been at it for over 50 years and really knows his stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X