X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trek Percussion on/off switch

Hi all,

I've got a CV with the Trek percussion add-on - I can't remember which exact one right now, the organ is at my parents' place, but it's the kind with sliders that adjust the levels of 2nd/3rd/5th harmonics and decay length (not the kind with rocker switches). Right now it "steals" the 8th drawbar of the B preset. I'd like to make it "steal" the 9th drawbar, and add an on/off switch so I can use the B preset as I would on a standard -3 series organ.

I also wanted to confirm that it's not possible to service the sliders - they're a little gummy and sticky, but my tech said that any attempt to lubricate them would destroy the unit.

Cheers!

There is a TrekII TP2-B on my B2 and it is tapping off the 8th drawbar,prefer the 9th to still work.Use whatever drawbar you'd like.....
    Don't know about an on/off switch Ben....if you want all nine drawbars you have at least three presets to choose from.
    I have never missed the single drawbar used by the perc.
    Don't know that a switch is possible?
    A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

A switch is very possible. Use a DPDT that does the following:

* pole #1 directs the "trigger drawbar signal" either to the perc unit ("on" position) or to the drawbar ("off" position)
      * pole #2 grounds the "trig input" of the perc unit in the "off" position
      Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
      Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
        A switch is very possible. Use a DPDT that does the following:

* pole #1 directs the "trigger drawbar signal" either to the perc unit ("on" position) or to the drawbar ("off" position)
        * pole #2 grounds the "trig input" of the perc unit in the "off" position
        Thanks, enor! I knew I'd seen it done on someone else's console here on the forums. I'll give it a go and report back... might be a while before I get to this one...

Comment

Thanks enor. Nice to know it can be done.
          A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
            Thanks enor. Nice to know it can be done.
            Yes. The total mystery is why TREK2 didn't incorporate it in the original design! It's not a cheap product, after all - one could expect little touches like that to be standard equipment.

Comment

Right! I really like having all four presets. I use the lower two for comping, and leave the upper two for soloing. Usually I leave the B preset's 9th drawbar out and toggle the percussion for different textures, and the Bb preset on something else (like all out). Percussion with the 1' sounds alien to my ear, as it's not possible on any of the classic Hammonds I've spent so many years playing.

Comment

FWIW - I have a little project cooking along these lines - I'm sketching up an interface (a relay box) that lets one use the TREK2 percussion unit, but giving it a more "normal" user interface. I have made an endblock with switches that are going to control the thing, but haven't had time to finish the project yet as this restoration has a couple of things that need to get done first. Will let you know once it's done though! (probably by the end of this summer)
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180505_131320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	605938

Comment

Nice, is that your AV? My AV (and BC-V) have been modified enough that I'm open to adding percussion, but I don't want to take out a cheek block. I've thought of making a detachable module for it with a multi pin connector socket hidden on the console. One of those "eventually" projects, at this point... I don't miss the percussion right now
                  Last edited by snacks; 06-25-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

The decay fader on the TP-2B provides all the way from very tight to 'no decay',allowing those second harmonic 'pianos' to benefit from the 'paradise' settings.....
                    And the 5th perc sounds just fine on the 'Green Eyed' Lady' upper manual bass riffs, mixed with the 3rd of course. Also adds a little bite to the solo.
                    Off switch? When I pay my money those faders are gonna get worked! On a dark stage those faders are easy to locate. I prefer the TrekII perc on my B2 to my A100's.

I don't have handsome chiseled looks either,yet I work all the time......Michael had mostly orders for the fader model so he dropped the rocker switch model that enor prefers.
                    It ain't as purdy....but I'm happy with mine.Sounds great!

CV,AV,BC,whatever model you'd like.....that puppy will get you where you need to go Ben!
                    Smooth playing keys are my first 'old console' mod.No good reason to hurt the hands that provide.....
                    is your CV a later one with smooth keys? That AV has those 'blood on the edges' keys that I find uncomfortable.
                    The 'chromies' drawbars are way less clunky with fewer dead spots than the later ratchets IMO.
                    The ones on my BCV work great!

All three of us have an 'all the way down' bass model still working.
                    One Chicago,one Montreal,and one London? That is so cool!

Comment

I am fine with the old square keys, it encourages good technique and less palm smears. I can usually use my fingertips lightly and get what I need. No reason to mash the keys; it won't get any louder, and they're not making any more Hammond manuals. The BC-V had smooth drawbars installed before I got the organ, which is a nice touch, but I love the way the chrome ones look. I wish mine still had the chorus generator. I have several -3 series organs, and that's what I bring out if I'm playing a real organ on a gig

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                        Off switch? When I pay my money those faders are gonna get worked!
                        To me it's mostly about the fact that I want my 1' drawbar available when perc is NOT needed (which is quite often, don't think I've ever used perc when playing gospel for instance).

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
                          To me it's mostly about the fact that I want my 1' drawbar available when perc is NOT needed (which is quite often, don't think I've ever used perc when playing gospel for instance).

True, though it's easy enough to switch to the A# preset of drawbars to have that drawbar back in play. (One could argue that this, in essence, is a switch but I know that it's not that easy.)

Comment

Tested a Moog Sub37.....
                            worst playing keyboard award for that keybed.
                            Playing technique?
                            At almost 65 years of age palm smears
                            and such should be comfortable.
                            Nicest action of a 37 key unit?
                            The lowly Roland Lucina Keytar is a well built fast action extremely playable little unit .
                            As a controller for my Behringer Model D
                            it really shines!
                            Bought them both brand new for less than a used Moog......and Moog keys are easily the worst for the money I have played.
                            My Nord C2D plays as nice as any Hammond and I have had many of those.
                            Fatar makes keyboards for even Roland.....Moog should be ashamed of the keys and action they offer!

Comment

Originally posted by muckelroy View Post
                              True, though it's easy enough to switch to the A# preset of drawbars to have that drawbar back in play. (One could argue that this, in essence, is a switch but I know that it's not that easy.)
                              That's not how I work. I set up "the next sound" while playing, and then toggle to it. Having 1' on one of the sets only is not enough, it seriously disables the instrument to have that one inactive. At least to me.

Making such a great sounding unit as the TP-2B and then crippling it like this (thru being too cheap to add a simple switch to it) is ... sad, to paraphrase your president.

Comment

Working...
                              X