This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipped the wires leading out of 122 kit in organ

Had a 122 kit installed in my a100 in bc cabinet which I did not use. Someone wanted the kit. Not knowing how to unwire everything I simply grabbed the pack of multicolored wires coming out of the kit in one hand and cut with scissors. But now I have no sound. I had been getting sound by a quarter line rig I have wired to the g, g . What did I do?
    Also a tube which was connected to the wire grouping was also removed. I did stick the tube back in (though it was not wired to anything anymore) but nothing. Just want my sound back. I can take pics if I can post them on here

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I’m going to try is reconnecting that blue wire that goes inside that little metal cover on the far left of the amp

- - - Updated - - -

The tube I’m referring to was on far left of amp

- - - Updated - - -

The tube I’m referring to was on far left of amp

1. Stop ALL activity with the organ and get someone knowledgeable to assist you, you're in this over your head

2. That tube you're talking about is the rectifier tube. Without it, your organ most certainly will not make any sound. But, it has an interceptor/adapter under it (the part that's "not wired to anything anymore"). That interceptor/adapter is part of the Leslie kit that you took out. Remove it, give it away with the rest of the kit, and insert the tube directly into the amp

3. Did you seriously have those two wires dangling in the organ, just cut off and not insulated? They carry lethal voltage and will kill you if touched with the amp on. Which is the reason for my comment in #1.
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Thanks for the info - so you are saying to get another tube (because I gave that one away) and put it back in its position on the far left to start with. What kind/model of tube is that particular one?

- - - Updated - - -

You refer to the part of the kit I need to remove and give away-Are you talking about that silver cover that metal cover on the amp facing me all the way to the left where the blue wire is currently sticking out?

Comment

Yes, the tube is needed as it is responsible for creating the DC power the amp needs to function. It is a 6x4. You can verify this, as the type of tube is stamped on the top of the amp chassis.

It would be best if you posted photos of what you think the kit is. Way too much can be lost in translation.

Comment

Originally posted by jwb1231970 View Post
          Thanks for the info - so you are saying to get another tube (because I gave that one away) and put it back in its position on the far left to start with. What kind/model of tube is that particular one?

- - - Updated - - -

You refer to the part of the kit I need to remove and give away-Are you talking about that silver cover that metal cover on the amp facing me all the way to the left where the blue wire is currently sticking out?
          Don't give away the tube - only the adapter socket it sits on, with the two wires prodruding from it.

Comment

Oh dear heavens.

Find a tech. Unplug that organ from power until then.

Please pardon my brutal honesty.

Comment

Thanks all, emailed my tech - gonna let him take it from here

Comment

Where the rectifier tube the socket is still there - it’s part of the chassis-

Comment

Are the handles of the scissors insulated at least?

Hopefully not really good sewing scissors or you may be in trouble with someone.

These folks are rooting for you here, because the odour of shorted wiring is nowhere near as bad as that coming from third degree burns to the stumps of your fingers.

Nice to know that the socket is still there as some of us may have been wondering. Hammond techs may get twitchy when a socket is ripped out.

If you would like to post pictures, put them where you can easily find them, such as the desktop of your computer. Then reply here and select the third little icon from the right in the toolbar above your text. If you hover the mouse over it, it will read "Insert Image." Select "Choose File" and find your photos where you placed them. Then select "Upload File."

A picture is worth a thousand expletives.
                  1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Originally posted by jwb1231970 View Post
                    Where the rectifier tube the socket is still there - it’s part of the chassis-
                    Ok, gonna try to explain this again, in even greater detail.
                    You said the tube "wasn't wired to anything". There are no wires sticking out of the tube. But:

One part of the 122 kit is this under-tube adapter:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	606002

The tube is inserted into this, and so when the two are interconnected the adapter might appear to be part of the actual tube, but it's not. The tube unplugs from this adapter.

Clearer?

Comment

Much clearer- damn I sent him the whole tube because that wire out of socket was connected to the Leslie kit, I didn’t know it came off the tube itself. So do you think if I get another tube and put it in I’ll get my sound back?

Comment

Heres a pic - I snipped the wires from Leslie box that basically run down the Hammond to the input socket for speaker cab cord. In the other pic you can see I simply pulled the tube plus the adapter that was connected and I am left with an empty socket. I’m thinking only need to do is get a new tube and put it in that empty socket and I should get my sound back? Does that blue and gray wire that goes inside that metal box have anything to do with my sound or is that strictly Leslie related.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDC33E23-641D-4DBB-B736-4AFB602245FF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	606006
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good photos.

The only sound you might get out of those wires is sizzle and snap, maybe a muffled scream, because they appear to be AC. Looks like they might have overheated at one point and burnt through the insulation. Nice. And all the abrasions in the wood have a history of their own....

Listen to Enor.
                          1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

You should get your sound back with a replacement tube.

:: however ::

I think you should have your tech come out to clean the wires up. The blue/gray wires that you cut carry 120 Volts of electricity (like what's coming out of your wall). The loose ones coming out of the pre-amp will have this on them when the instrument is on. They should be unsoldered from the pre-amp and cleaned up. Further like was stated previously, it might be good to have new blue/gray wires run from the tonewheel generator to the pre-amp, as they do look pretty beat up and could potentially be a shock or fire hazard.
                            Last edited by gaker; 07-06-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

hello,

For more help, please identify the kit you remove by the number printed of it.
                              I think it is possible to find the installation procedure.
                              And then the reverse fitting will be easy.

JP

Comment

Working...
                              X