This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you buy capacitors?

Have a Concorde 2107 with a bad hum. I've cleaned every contact, ready to replace the caps in the power supply/amp. Not finding anything for the big cans. 4000 mfd 50 v, part# 450-010082. I need 4 of them. There are 4 tabs that are ground and 1 +. I wouldn't mind axial, I could make that work. Only thing I can find is with 2 screws. I did find one on Ebay. It said seller refurbished. Is that a thing? Do companies "repack" old caps?

I use Mouser and Digi-Key electronics a lot. Mostly Mouser because UPS "ground" is actually overnight from Ft Worth to Tulsa.

Here is an example of a 3900uf/50v "radial" style:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...TyHgmZEQ%3d%3d

You have to get creative when searching for capacitors because 4000uf/50v, for example, is not a real common value but 3900uf is. 63 volts may be easier to find than 50, etc.
    Your power supply won't care that is 3900 instead of 4000, but you can go a little higher if you like. Remember, with power supply filters it is generally ok to have a higher capacitance and/or higher voltage rating. Space and mounting considerations may tend to drive your selection.
    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Meticulous equipment restorers will put new capacitor inside of the shells of old ones for cosmetic purposes. I don't think that's what you're seeing, and otherwise no, no one rebuilds capacitors that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
        Meticulous equipment restorers will put new capacitor inside of the shells of old ones for cosmetic purposes. I don't think that's what you're seeing, and otherwise no, no one rebuilds capacitors that I know of.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by tpappano View Post
        I use Mouser and Digi-Key electronics a lot. Mostly Mouser because UPS "ground" is actually overnight from Ft Worth to Tulsa.

Here is an example of a 3900uf/50v "radial" style:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...TyHgmZEQ%3d%3d

You have to get creative when searching for capacitors because 4000uf/50v, for example, is not a real common value but 3900uf is. 63 volts may be easier to find than 50, etc.
        Your power supply won't care that is 3900 instead of 4000, but you can go a little higher if you like. Remember, with power supply filters it is generally ok to have a higher capacitance and/or higher voltage rating. Space and mounting considerations may tend to drive your selection.
        Thank you. Mouser is where I saw the one with screw terminals. Radial is even better. Was thinking axial and if I got that, was going to have to ask, what do you call that plastic tubing you put on wires when there is no insulation?

Comment

what do you call that plastic tubing you put on wires when there is no insulation?
          Spaghetti.

For restorations, I get my capacitors from:

https://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Yep, all my life it was always called "spaghetti" 8) For reasons unknown the manufacturers and catalogs seem to want to call it "tubing", available as "heat shrink" or "non heat shrink" 8)
            Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Sleeve or sleeving.

Comment

Are you Canadian? might be important to where you buy!
                Practise the theory...realize the practical
                Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Comment

Originally posted by PGR View Post
                  Just Radios ships worldwide and quickly, too.
                  -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                  Leslie 147 #F7453.
                  Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by PGR View Post
                    No, In USA. I am 1/4 French Canadian though and I love the Red Green show and Rush. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X