Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who gigs with a Hammond skx or do you use a SK1 73?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who gigs with a Hammond skx or do you use a SK1 73?

A problem,,,I am starting a oldies band and I am looking at organ keyboard,,,,I have narrowed it down to the Hammond Skx or the SK1 73,,,I boils down to weight,,the skx is 38 lbs and the sk1 73 is 21 lbs,,,,,and of course the extra voices so that I only have to transport 1 keyboard instead of 2,,,,My Roland is 64 lbs and goes through a mixer, and part 2 of this question is: is it worth getting EV Powered speakers 25" ?
    When adding additional instruments I have a old carvin amp and 15" speakers,,,,,
    Please help with your comments,,Pos and Neg.
    Thank yoU!

If you haven't checked out the Viscount Legend series, do that before spending ridiculous money on a "Hammond"!
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

I recently purchased an SK1 73 because I want to use it at home on top of A100, but with the idea of playing some oldies out, and I don't want to haul my A100 and leslie. I plan to use the extravoices only at home but to use the organ and EV if I play out.

For stricktly playing out, I would think 2 keyboards would be desirable. Is there a reason you are not considering an SK2?

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
        If you haven't checked out the Viscount Legend series, do that before spending ridiculous money on a "Hammond"!
        I haven't checked out the Legend yet,but I am thrilled with my Nord C2D.Apparently it has been surpassed as the 'premier clonewheel' by the Legend.
        My ears are the main criteria in judging clonewheels,with my hands a close second.
        With three consoles (A100/102 B2) here to compare clones to,I agree with enor.
        The Hammond clones just don't sound as good to my ears,have tried the pricey XK3/XK5's.......sorry Hammond.
        When a C2D was available brand new for less,and no other brands to compare,I felt comfortable with my choice.

I must add; the Nord Stage 3 Compact is worth every penny I paid.The 'other sounds' on the SK's just aren't in the same league.
        I could; do a gig with 'just' the Compact! And sound great doing it! 22 pounds!
        Another 35 pounds for the C2D,both together weigh less than that Roland you mention!

Some folks like the newer Hammonds,I don't! Love the tonewheel types here......and the Leslies!
        A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

... and if you think the Nord Stage Compact is expensive (it is) then check out the Electro, but don't get a new Electro 6 since it's lost some of the best functionality in this last iteration; go for a second hand Electro 5D. It totally blows the doors off the SK1, for equal or less money.

Comment

The condition with a Nord is you must use the screen to select a patch. With it sitting on my A100, it is unusable. With the hammond, you can select 10 preset favorites and just touch a button to get a patch, which I can use. The Nord forfeited for me since it was not usable in my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
              ... and if you think the Nord Stage Compact is expensive (it is) then check out the Electro, but don't get a new Electro 6 since it's lost some of the best functionality in this last iteration; go for a second hand Electro 5D. It totally blows the doors off the SK1, for equal or less money.
              I would have tried the SKX but it wasn't in stock.Tried the Electro 6 and the 5D,neither had a real synth or 'wheel and cigar holder'.
              The '6' will layer or split,but won't do both like a Stage!
              Either will the 5D.......
              Has anyone here tried a Dexibell Combo?
              Haven't seen one but the reviews are good,if not great.Apparently the pianos are useable?

I don't need to look at the LCD on my Nords to know where I am.....that's what real time controls are for?You know,those little lights and dial positions?
              Nord Stage has an incredible 'live' function,remembers every tweak you make in real time.Even has 'song list' now,and patch change on floor pedal function.
              Once you've performed on a Stage there really is no 'going back' to the systems of the so called 'competition'.
              Nord is the most popular for good reason.Sorry Hammond,to me the sounds no longer match up with the name.

I do have a few Hammonds and Leslies that deserve to be heard and played though!
              They were all built before 1968 (except the 1971) Leslie 147.

Just finished tweaking the Compact for it's first public appearance......WOW.
              Not only does it have four split/layer zones instead of three......the zones can be 'overlapped soft'!
              Add or subtract two panels(one button/three instrument) and I'm off to the races.Seamless transitions in legato mode.Morph the panels with the wheel or pedal.
              Simply put,no other performance instrument I've tried will do this in real time.
              Maybe the flagship Korg/Yamaha/Roland will also do this? They have bigger LCD's.......and need them.
              That's just the operating system.
              Then there is of course; the sounds!

The Hammond SK organs aren't my favorite,but easily as good as the Crumar Mojo,and a little better than the Roland Combos IMO.
              A bargain can be found now on the SK1 which has been around as long as the C2D?
              The keyclick and contact 'bounce' aren't nearly as prominent as a C2D, the menu I looked at on the SK didn't offer edits.
              The newer SKX has this feature?

Those Viscount pedalboards sure look nice! Probably 'roll my own' though,eh enor?
              Last edited by Sweet Pete; 07-28-2018, 03:27 PM.
              A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Originally posted by dfcas View Post
                The condition with a Nord is you must use the screen to select a patch. With it sitting on my A100, it is unusable. With the hammond, you can select 10 preset favorites and just touch a button to get a patch, which I can use. The Nord forfeited for me since it was not usable in my situation.
                Not necessarily true, at least not on the Electro 5. The "5" has the same kind of setlist functionality that the Stage has; but then they took that away again on the "6". You won't get 10 preset buttons, but you'll get 4 single-button presets per song; and when going to the next song you just advance a dial one step (or hit a button) and do a quick check that the right title shows up on the display.

Comment

If you are looking for the Hammond sound and extra voices I would try the Mojo. Although mono timbral it provides a top notch organ, wurli, rhodes, clav and I believe a serviceable piano. The only drawback for me is 61 keys (piano restrictive), a far better bargain than the Hammond and even the Viscount because of the extra voices.
                  57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Gemini desktop module & Burn Leslie sim; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo
                  https://www.facebook.com/dyin.breed.10

Comment

Originally posted by delaware dave View Post
                    If you are looking for the Hammond sound and extra voices I would try the Mojo. Although mono timbral it provides a top notch organ, wurli, rhodes, clav and I believe a serviceable piano. The only drawback for me is 61 keys (piano restrictive), a far better bargain than the Hammond and even the Viscount because of the extra voices.
                    The C2D doesn't have extra sounds, only has 61 note manuals.
                    Pianos were not included, at least on that unit,it's just an organ.

With it's maiden voyage now complete and incident free I can now endorse the Nord Stage 3 Compact as a viable 'all in one' little keyboard.
                    Pianos are actually better than I expected on these waterfall keys,and this synth combined with the 'soft' zone mapping allows a 73 key unit to comfortably layer/split.
                    The first lower split point was a 'blended' very smooth transition to synth bass from a Rhodes patch,and the high split point allows a pad behind the piano with choice
                    of aftertouch,wheel,or pedal to blend the pad of choice,which can be changed on the fly to suit ones needs.
                    And then there's the organ that can be added/subtracted from this,allowing control of 6 instruments from the two buttons right above middle C!

The band after us was using an Electro 5D to full advantage with their focus on 60's rock,96 Tears,Wooly Bully,etc;absolutely nailed those combo organs!
                    It even seems to have a Hohner Pianet type reed tone that I'm now searching my Stage for? It nailed "These Eyes" so look for Burton himself to get one!
                    That Yamaha of his doesn't have a Pianet that realistic sounding!

There has been a Mojo on CL here for months.Seller asking 2K.I gave it a listen,didn't like the keys or the sound as much as the Nord.
                    Add to that it's used,and I will never be stuck with an 'orphan' that can't be serviced.Too many problem free C2D's around for me to risk that.

Yeah Dave,playing piano on an organ style keyboard has it challenges,and with only 5 octaves too small to 'get 'er done'.
                    The 73 key Compact is the minimum size one can comfortably map out a 'performance'.The Morph function is priceless!

If I was shopping I would at least listen to the Hammond SKX,maybe the action and extra sounds got much needed tweaks.
                    I would also be checking out a Dexibell Combo,and the Legend Live.
                    Looking forward to any reviews of these units!

Comment

The fast Leslie on the dexibell combo is hideous, otherwise a good buy. The other issue is that the keyboard software, for organ, only allows split functionality meaning you can't hook up a second keyboard and use its full keybed for lower and the dexibell's full keybed for upper; it is single manual mode or split mode. It 'might' be possible to hookup the 2nd keyboard as the pedal keyboard and use it that way but I'm not sure if that would actually work. The EP's in my opinion are also subpar.
                      57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Gemini desktop module & Burn Leslie sim; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo
                      https://www.facebook.com/dyin.breed.10

Comment

Working...
                      X