This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO 29 in C2 ?

Im in good hope to get an 1953 C2 in bad condition. It has to be restored. I think about changing the AO 10 to a AO 29 to get percussion in it, may this be possible or to much harness? Better take trek2?
    Axel
    C2 1953, as old as I am and 760 rebuilt, Custom M3 1955, custom HX3, Hohner OAB, Ventilator, Service for friends on A100, B3, BV, M100 and some Leslies

Originally posted by Hoaxel View Post
    Im in good hope to get an 1953 C2 in bad condition. It has to be restored. I think about changing the AO 10 to a AO 29 to get percussion in it, may this be possible or to much harness? Better take trek2?
    Axel

Like I recently posted on F***B*** to this exact same question....I really prefer the AO-10 with Trek II percussion added. I think the trek percussion sounds better then the Hammond.
    Or if purist status is not needed you could go with a Solid State Trek pre and percussion.

Comment

Axel
      It takes more than just the amp to make percussion work.
      Off the top of my head:
      There is a switch under the B preset key on the upper manual that will need to be added. I have done this conversion before and had to drill holes for the switch...I had a 3 series keyboard to copy the hole pattern. This switch is wired into the matching xformer.
      If you want to retain the look of the 3 series, you will need that whole drawbar mounting shelf as well as the switch box with the percussion controls. These are also wired into the matching xformer and the amp.
      You will have to rewire 3 of the drawbars.
      Also the minor details of mounting the amp as it is not the same size.
      There may be more details...I do not remember right now.

IMO...just install the Trek.

Bob

PS: Where in Germany are you located? My Dad was born in Wuppertal, I still have family there.
      In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
      In reality, there is.
      '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
      H-324/Series 10 TC
      '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
      Look at some of my rescues:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

I can’t recommend the Trek percussion highly enough. I added it to my BC and it sounds fantastic. I’d certainly take it over an AO-29.
        Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
        Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
        Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
        www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmann View Post
          There is a switch under the B preset key on the upper manual that will need to be added.
          That switch isn't strictly necessary, unless you must have the upper manual "volume drop on percussion normal". I'd just omit it (I did omit it when installing an AO-28 into my BC)
          Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Refurbish the AO-10 and add Trek II TP-2B.
            I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Bobman, I live in Tübingen, near Stuttgart
              C2 1953, as old as I am and 760 rebuilt, Custom M3 1955, custom HX3, Hohner OAB, Ventilator, Service for friends on A100, B3, BV, M100 and some Leslies

Comment

Axel
                Why not go for an AO-28?

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
                  Why not go for an AO-28?
                  I tend to go for the option with the lowest probability of a following thread along the lines of "I tried to put an AO-28 in my C-2, and now ________ doesn't work."

Also, you still need percussion control switches. Yes, I'm sure you can fabricate something, but you can't just mount 3-series percussion switch box in a 2-series metal drawbar base.

Comment

Why not go for an AO-28?
                    For I have a good AO-29 at home

Comment

Why not go for an AO-28?
                      For I have a good AO-29 at home
                      There are several issues with using an AO-29 in a console.

* What to do with the bass channel of the amp?
                      * There's only speaker level output available, and no balanced signal
                      * The input stages are designed for a different matching transformer, meaning the tone won't be the same

Other than that, sure it's very doable. If it were me though - I'd sell the AO-29, and buy an AO-28 instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Hookup isn't difficult. If you get a percussion switch assembly from an M-3, all the wiring you need is right there.

Comment

That sounds like a good plan, i have a BCV, AO-28 and a M-3 percussion switch. Could you share a couple pictures and pointers of your installation. I'd love to give it a go but i want to figure out how big of a project i'm getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by ubxf View Post
                          That sounds like a good plan, i have a BCV, AO-28 and a M-3 percussion switch. Could you share a couple pictures and pointers of your installation. I'd love to give it a go but i want to figure out how big of a project i'm getting into.
                          Once you get back into the organs before the 2-series, the project becomes much more involved because there are differences in vibrato selection, matching transformers, drawbar wiring. A C-2 is much more like a C-3 than it's like a CV.

I honestly don't know why people put themselves through the headaches when I bought a C-3 in San Diego a few years ago for $300. The SoCal organ market has tended towards lower prices. Just because a thing is possible doesn't mean it's the most sensible or prudent use of time, effort, and money.

Comment

Originally posted by ubxf View Post
                            I bought my BC with the chorus generator missing, so I don't have that.

I used the following bits:
                            * Motor/Scanner from an M-100
                            * Vibrato switch gear, delay line, matching transformer, preset panel and smooth drawbars from a C-2
                            * Percussion switches from an M-3
                            * An AO-28 preamplifier

Installing is very simple as everything is bolt-on. The basic design of the organs honestly didn't change much thru the years, which is why a 1967 motor/scanner just bolts directly onto a 1937 tone generator. I love that about Hammonds. The one thing I ran into that can be categorized as somewhat of a problem: Since the BC manuals aren't tapered, the input signal from manuals to percussion switch is hotter than in a "-3", so the percussion becomes _very_ loud. I had to change the balancing resistor on the preamplifier in order to rectify this (silencing the percussion channel by quite a bit).

Comment

Thanks Enor, it looks like i have the parts i need and looking at the schematic i'm understanding what i've got to do but i don't think i can fit the AO-28 in the organ. Has it been done with an organ with both generators?

Comment

Working...
                              X