Need Advice on Leaving a B3 for 18 Months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on Leaving a B3 for 18 Months

Every day I go down to our open basement and play my 55 B3 with two Leslies (147 and 21H). I will often lay down a funk or jazz pattern with my Roland TD-12 drum kit and play along. Occasionally, other musician friends will join in.

But we are going to leave Alberta for 18 months for a volunteer medical position in Frankfurt Germany, living in a 2 bedroom apartment. This alone will be difficult, but I may get a small midi keyboard, a switch pedal, and use Garageband or Logic Pro to help a little. Possibly re-purchase the new VB3.

I have noticed that if I have missed playing for a while, the start motor switch doesn't always respond until after a couple of tries.

Here are the questions:

1. Is there any advice that you would offer such that when I get back, I can plug things in and play without any problems related to dormancy?

2. Also, is there a music store in Frankfurt where I can quietly play a Hammond or clone and feel human again?

Thanks very much.
    1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Originally posted by Tonewheel View Post
    1. Is there any advice that you would offer such that when I get back, I can plug things in and play without any problems related to dormancy?
    Is your basement dry? If so, I doubt you'll have a lot of problems.

The problem with the start switch is probably corroded or dirty contacts in the switch. You should probably replace it anyway, regardless of whether you're going away.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
    Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
    1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
    2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Comment

Thanks, Stefan.

The basement is dry.

I oiled the B3 about 6 months ago.

I did buy an extra switch some time ago, but it may be a run switch. We have already left Canada.
      1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Hey Tonewheel
        wouldn' you like to take it with you!

Dont need your answer to this question broadcasted here but if your home is NOT inhabited and you dont plan on turning the power completely off then buy a couple of the high frequency pitched rodent squealers. They generate a high pitch frequency we cant hear but rodents can and stay away. They need small amount of electricity to run Home hardware has them . I have used them for about two years now and never had a field mouse or a mole again. Mice will eat the wire in the organ - not good and nest - even worse
        The humidity in the basement might be an issue - you know from winter cold to summer heat. I would be concerned about putting a blanket or plastic sheet over top of the unit to keep it dust free would likely be ok if not tight - allowed to breath ie cotton and not trap moisture next to the wood finish. oil it good before you leave Have someone check it when they run through the home check for insurance purposes. I have left my leslie for years wrapped in an underpad for a dinning room table ( white quilted type ) in the basement like you at least eight years . A little Murphys oil brought the finish back to life - and every thing else was reasonable too.
        Good luck
        Practise the theory...realize the practical
        Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Comment

I agree on the threat of mice. Mice can inflict catastrophic damage on vintage electronics. In addition to chewing on wires, they urinate everywhere, and their urine is very corrosive. You see it often on Leslie amps where it causes the chassis to rust and the paint to come off. It's also terrible on Leslie motors, making the whole motor stack rust.

Although you will occasionally see mouse damage in organs, they really like to get inside Leslie speaker cabinets and build nests. They will chew through speaker cones, wires, etc..., and it's a big task just to get the urine smell out of the wood.

Mice will get up inside the pedal switch assembly of console organs and cause a lot of rust damage in there.
          I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Thanks for the advice again.

I have some of those ultrasonics in the garage.

Comment

Current:
              1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
              Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
              1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
              2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
              1964 C3
              196x M-102
              197x X5
              197x Leslie 825

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
                I agree on the threat of mice. Mice can inflict catastrophic damage on vintage electronics. In addition to chewing on wires, they urinate everywhere, and their urine is very corrosive. You see it often on Leslie amps where it causes the chassis to rust and the paint to come off. It's also terrible on Leslie motors, making the whole motor stack rust.

Although you will occasionally see mouse damage in organs, they really like to get inside Leslie speaker cabinets and build nests. They will chew through speaker cones, wires, etc..., and it's a big task just to get the urine smell out of the wood.

Mice will get up inside the pedal switch assembly of console organs and cause a lot of rust damage in there.
                David some mice ruined a Leslie 145 Wes and I worked on. It's true about mice. The amp, wires, plugs and everything had damage. I had to buy new upper and lower belts also. It also chewed through a louver on the 145 as well. What a nightmare!

Comment

Here's what mice can do, given enough time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mouse damage Leslie.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	606407
                  I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

All good advice.

Thanks.

By the way, a bear in a Leslie could be even more fun. This is what is left of a Sequoia:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/0...llery/537781/1
                    Last edited by Tonewheel; 09-12-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30852[/ATTACH]
                      I read that in a years time a mouse will excrete a gallon of urine. Yikes.

Comment

U.S. or Imperial?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonewheel View Post
                          By the way, a bear in a Leslie could be even more fun. This is what is left of a Sequoia:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/0...llery/537781/1
                          And this is why you should never leave your pets locked in your car.
                          Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
                          Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
                          1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
                          2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Comment

My Jack Russell terrier keeps the mice away in our household. It’s his favourite pastime!

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30852[/ATTACH]
                            Good lord!
                            1937 Hammond BC
                            1970 Leslie 147
                            1968 MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/1964 Binson Echorec 2
                            Yamaha KX88

Comment

I have a big older fatar 88 key plugged into logic pro X, which is setup to play standing> my back loves that sometimes. Last few nights I've been exploring the B3 in LogicX and leslies that go with it. The macbook pro has optical out into a very good 5 channel. I was frankly astounded at how good it sounded playing around. I'm trying get control of the options now. I can split the 88 into pedals, great and swell. I never heard a clone on youtube sound like this thing. Lots of tweaks too, all mappable. So a small MIDI keyboard or two....for you.

The hardest part is adapting to the SL880 weighted keys, I love so much, after the RT3 plastic ones, but similar feeling keys would be easy to find....except I did notice that the real hammond staggered pipe attack was not present...that may be my setup. But I think you could get a real good fix anyway
                              1960 Blonde RT-3
                              Leslies: 2-speed 22H, 760, 105 Round Sound Machine.
                              Young Chang U121
                              Fatar SL 880
                              Nektar Panorama T4

Comment

Working...
                              X