This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 power tube roll

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hello. I've just purchased an M3 and found (after running the organ for 20 minutes) that one of the power tubes is dead. since I don't have any 6V6s lying around would it be okay if I used to 6L6s in their place without blowing something up or modifying anything? Thanks guys!

Originally posted by NickPqrs View Post
    would it be okay if I used to 6L6s in their place without blowing something up or modifying anything?
    No, it would not. 6L6s draw twice the heater current of 6V6s and will draw more B+ current. You'll burn up the power transformer. A friend of mine bought a Fender Princeton into which someone had stuck 6L6s, not knowing it had the wrong tubes in it. That cost him a new power transformer.

6V6s are very common. Get some.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Thanks David, someone on another Forum had mentioned that they're built like tanks and can take the abuse. I thought I would come here and get a second opinion since I was hearing mixed answers.

Comment

What other forum is that?
        I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Well, it was actually a Facebook group that I'm in. But two posters told me two different things. One said it was okay, the other one set of 6L6 uses twice the heater current event blow up the Transformer.

Comment

Working...
          X