X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concert E Chorus Generator

This is for KeithB....

He was asking about the sound of the Chorus Genny found on the pre-war Hammonds.

While I do not have a side by side comparison of the CG to a Scanner, I recorded my son on my Concert E a few years back.

Be easy on the criticism of the performance....he was only 15 at the time and had only been playing organ for about 2 years. He since has graduated from Juilliard's pre college program and is now the Organ Scholar at Holy Cross. So yeah....he has gotten a lot better ;)

But I digress.....the Prelude has the Chorus on. The Fugue it is off. So hopefully Keith, you can get some idea as to how a CME sounds.

Joey

1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
    Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
    Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
    New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Joey!

Thanks very much for posting that! Your son's playing sounds great, and by the way his playing on your video documenting restoration of the E was great also! Glad he is having a a great career on the organ; Holy Cross is a very good college. Not a lot of young people doing that these days.

The CG really makes those high notes sparkle. From what I can hear, the CG is giving a constant slightly sharp and flat tone to each tone from the main generator. In comparison, what I hear from the chorus settings on my A102 is oscillating slightly sharp and flat. The oscillation become more noticeable the further down the keyboard you play. At the bottom C it's more like a "put-put" sound. Is that an accurate description? I have read that the CG is only active from C4 and up on the manuals. As I understand it, middle C is C3, so to get the chorus effect on a CME you need to be playing an octave up (C4 and above), right? So, I assume below C4 you get no chorus effect on either manual of a CME. Just want to be clear on that.

I will do some playing on my A102 tonight to compare with the sound in your video. Thanks again for your generous help!
    1956 Hammond B3, Hammond PR-40; Roland D-50

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
      Joey!

Thanks very much for posting that! Your son's playing sounds great, and by the way his playing on your video documenting restoration of the E was great also! Glad he is having a a great career on the organ; Holy Cross is a very good college. Not a lot of young people doing that these days.

The CG really makes those high notes sparkle. From what I can hear, the CG is giving a constant slightly sharp and flat tone to each tone from the main generator. In comparison, what I hear from the chorus settings on my A102 is oscillating slightly sharp and flat. The oscillation become more noticeable the further down the keyboard you play. At the bottom C it's more like a "put-put" sound. Is that an accurate description? I have read that the CG is only active from C4 and up on the manuals. As I understand it, middle C is C3, so to get the chorus effect on a CME you need to be playing an octave up (C4 and above), right? So, I assume below C4 you get no chorus effect on either manual of a CME. Just want to be clear on that.

I will do some playing on my A102 tonight to compare with the sound in your video. Thanks again for your generous help!
      Chapter six (page 79) of the restored Hammond service manual has a chapter on the chorus generator. In my own experience the CG adds a sparkle to the sound and affects only the upper tones of the main generator and shares their filters too. On my BC I used it on rock registrations such as Santana. It sounds great on chorale but sounds killer on tremolo with all 8’s out. It’s worth bearing in mind that tonally the early preamps didn’t have the treble roll off of the later models and a stock E or BC will sound brighter. My BC has upper manual tapering and wax caps but is still a bright organ.

Ive seen BCV’s on YouTube, maybe one of those videos will show you the difference between scanner and CG.
      Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
      Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
      Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
      www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X