X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie 147 tubes not powering on

Good morning all.

I have an issue with my Leslie 147 amp.
    I moved it from my spare bedroom to my garage as I had guests coming for a visit.
    I tried to turn it on and both motors start but the tubes won't light on. I am running this Leslie with a combo preamp pedal.
    While in the garage, it rained a lot and it was cold. The Leslie didn't get any water on but maybe I have this problem because the place was very humid?
    It was working perfectly until I moved it.
    Any Ideas?

Thank you so much!

Sounds like the fuse has blown (the motors aren't fused, but the amp is).

This means you need to trouble shoot your amp - the fuse blew for a reason, so don't just replace the fuse without finding the fault which caused it to blow. It might work in the short term, but a fault bad enough to blow the fuse _will_ get uglier and more expensive to fix the longer you postpone it.
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Thanks Enor.
      I'd say it got damp in the garage. I'll bring it back in my house and leave it for few days inspect it and replace the fuse. I thought the motors would stop too if fuse was blown...

- - - Updated - - -
      Last edited by toto; 12-03-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Humid air for a few days won't kill an amp. If it would, Florida would have no working Hammonds :)

Unfortunately, I predict you have bigger issues, which just happened to surface at this point.

Comment

https://bentonelectronics.com/servic...147-amplifier/

Geo

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill have a look at that.
            I suppose the first thing I'll check is that 6pin cable, could be something dodgy there.
            Then I'll take a deeper look at the amp.
            It's strange it worked so well..

Comment

Originally posted by toto View Post
              I suppose the first thing I'll check is that 6pin cable, could be something dodgy there.
              Usually things do work well until they fail ;)

I doubt there's anything wrong with your cable. Then the motors wouldn't turn either.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by toto View Post
              Usually things do work well until they fail ;)

I doubt there's anything wrong with your cable. Then the motors wouldn't turn either.

Comment

We've had a few Leslie fuses pop for no discernible reason (replaced the fuses and they are still working fine many gigs later). I suspect a power glitch, or ?

We rewire the amps so that the motors are also fused, and bump the fuse up to 2.5A.

Comment

Tim,

Like that tip.

We had the amp fuse on my 147 replaced by a regular fuse holder accessible from the front of the amp. Increasing the amperage of the fuse makes sense, especially if the motors are now on that circuit----or are there two fuses?
                  1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Originally posted by Tonewheel View Post
                    We had the amp fuse on my 147 replaced by a regular fuse holder accessible from the front of the amp. Increasing the amperage of the fuse makes sense, especially if the motors are now on that circuit----or are there two fuses?
                    On 147 amps that have two fuses, these are BOTH amp fuses, on either side of the AC line. The value of these should not be increased since their job is to protect the power transformer.

As they came from the factory, the motors in a Leslie are not fused. If you want to fuse them, that needs to be done separately from the fuses that protect the power transformer. Some Leslie kits and preamp pedals included a 5A fuse for the Leslie, which included the motors.
                    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Nice. Thanks.

I also like the name.

Dave
                      1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
                        On 147 amps that have two fuses, these are BOTH amp fuses, on either side of the AC line. The value of these should not be increased since their job is to protect the power transformer.

As they came from the factory, the motors in a Leslie are not fused. If you want to fuse them, that needs to be done separately from the fuses that protect the power transformer. Some Leslie kits and preamp pedals included a 5A fuse for the Leslie, which included the motors.
                        5A is much more than needed for the amp and motors - 2.5A is fine - I'll bet some of ours have 2A in them with no issues.

Comment

I agree with David on this. The original intent of the main fuse was to protect the electronics and that is what it's job should be. After all, it was designed that way for a reason. A separate fuse for the motors will eliminate any possibility of unintended failures due to a design change.
                          Hammond B3 (55), B3 (70), B3 (72), B2 (51) conversion, A100 (61) chop, A100 (62), A105 (75), Northern BC (39) empty.
                          Pile of Leslies of various flavours, Minimoog, ARP Odyssey, MaxiKorg, Hohner D6, Rhodes 54, Rhodes 73, Wurlitzer A200, Wurlitzer A203W

Comment

Agree with both David and Rich above.Think of that fuse as the canary.
                            A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Hi!
                              So I took a closer look at that 147 and the fuse was indeed gone. replaced it, blew again so I have a problem =-O
                              I took off the can capacitor and tubes, powered it on and fuse blew again.
                              By looking around on the internet I saw that the rectifier diodes could be the problem. I measured the 4 of them. 2 are 0.485v (approx) and the two others are -0.025v. A video on youtube shows that the 4 diodes should be around half a volt( in my case I only have 2 at this value). Is it the problem? Also there is a 5w 8ohms resistor across these diodes, it looks like it leaked (grey/brown stains on each sides See picture) . Could the resistor cause the problem ? Thank you all!
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	606803

Comment

Working...
                              X