Clear All

• HELP! Tone Generator Bolt Question

Howdy, friends,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	615541

When screwing in one of the tone generator bolts on my 1956 C3, I had one snap off. :-( I want to be up and running as quickly as possible, so I was wondering if anyone knew the specific size, thread count, etc., that I need. Is it something I can get from a hardware store or do I need to special order it? (I'd prefer to buy locally so I can take care of this immediately, but if it's not advisable, I will special order and wait for the part... But if I did order the part, any recommendation on who to buy from?) I'm also not sure I have the anchor unit going in the right way for permanent setup (not for transporting). If you look at the anchor unit as resembling a top-hap, should the top of the hat be on top or upside down? (I hope I am describing this clearly.) Also, should it be screwed in until the base of the anchor unit is flush against the wood? It was trying to do this that caused the bolt to snap. Because of age and oxidation, should I use some WD40 or some other lubricant when putting these bolts in? Thanks everybody! P.S. The photo I posted to try and illustrate my question for some reason posted sideways, and I don't know how to corrrect this, so sorry!
    sigpic
    1956 Hammond C-3
    Circa 1965 Leslie 145
    1963 Hammond D-152
    1963 Hammond C-3
    1959 Hammond HR-40 Tone Cabinet
    Motion Sound Pro 3
    Motion Sound Low Pro
    1958 Hammond M-3
    C.Bechstein D282 9'3" Concert Grand
    1977 Wurlitzer 200A

I'm pretty sure the screws are 10-32 thread. I know the hex-end is 5/16". As for the length, can't you just measure one of the others??? You should be able to find something suitable at a good hardware store.

There's usually enough excess oil on the generator to make oiling these unnecessary; in fact, if the generator is slightly over-oiled, the oil drips down these screws. If you feel you need it, just put a drop of generator oil on the threads.

To lock the generator, put the wide part of the spacer up; to unlock it, put the wide part down. To lock, tighten until the generator is pulled to the shelf.

And relax...
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Hi David, Yes, "relax," is probably a good idea. Guess it's just not in my nature not to panic. :-) So from the crude, sideways pic I posted, this is the correct way for it to be when unlocked? (Taking in account it still needs to be screwed in flush against the wood, right?)
      sigpic
      1956 Hammond C-3
      Circa 1965 Leslie 145
      1963 Hammond D-152
      1963 Hammond C-3
      Motion Sound Pro 3
      Motion Sound Low Pro
      1958 Hammond M-3
      1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Well, I decided to pay extra and ordered bolts from a Hammond specialty shop. Last thing though, is there another name for "generator oil"? I know that's something I don't have. Can I pick it (or something like it) up from the hardware store? WD40? Lock-Ease? The screws weren't going in without a lot of force (hence, the snapped one,) so I think it needs lubricated.
        sigpic
        1956 Hammond C-3
        Circa 1965 Leslie 145
        1963 Hammond D-152
        1963 Hammond C-3
        Motion Sound Pro 3
        Motion Sound Low Pro
        1958 Hammond M-3
        1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

I think you either have the wrong bolts or the threads are stripped. I have never come across this issue in any Hammonds I have owned or worked on.
          Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5, X5
          Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
          Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145, 910, 415
          www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
            I think you either have the wrong bolts or the threads are stripped. I have never come across this issue in any Hammonds I have owned or worked on.
            Well then, I'm glad I went and ordered genuine replacement parts. Hopefully that will do the trick.
            sigpic
            1956 Hammond C-3
            Circa 1965 Leslie 145
            1963 Hammond D-152
            1963 Hammond C-3
            Motion Sound Pro 3
            Motion Sound Low Pro
            1958 Hammond M-3
            1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Those are really only needed if you move the organ around.
              I would say that only 1 out of 5 Hammonds that come through the shop actually have all 4 lockdown screws, many have only 2, and often there are none at all. It is the exception that the TG is ever locked down at all even if all 4 screws are present.

2 of these will hold the TG stationary enough for moving if put on opposite corners.

Bottom line is if the organ is to remain stationary, don't worry about it, just leave that one out. It will be none the worse and no damage will occur.

That one pictured is in the unlocked position, and how it looks when the organ is sitting in place for playing.
              As said in other replies, remove the screw, flip the "top hat" and insert the screw from the opposide end and screw it back in, this will pull the TG down snug with the shelf. No need to make it real tight, snug is more than adequate, just enough that the TG is prevented from moving around.

I will check tomorrow to be positive, but I believe that this is indeed a #10-32. I will verify.
              A rule of thumb...never force a screw. If it starts to get tight, unscrew and apply lube like WD40. If it is cross t
              hreaded, the screw will start but sieze up after half a turn. Stop and unscrew immediately and examine the end of the screw for damage. If the end of the screw is deformed, you can use a file to chamfer the end of the screw. This can be done easily by chucking the screw in your hand drill and touching a file to the screw end as it rotates.
              If there is corrosion or debris on the threads, it will get progressively tighter as you screw it in. Remove and clean the screw, then try again. Sometimes you can get to the tight spot, keep screwing in and out by a quarter turn or so and see if you can advance the screw. If not, the only other option is to clean out the hole with a tap.

Bob
              In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
              In reality, there is.
              '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
              H-324/Series 10 TC
              '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
              Look at some of my rescues:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Thank you. That was very helpful but I want to make sure I understand you on one point. So none of those screws need to be in the organ when it is stationary?
                sigpic
                1956 Hammond C-3
                Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                1963 Hammond D-152
                1963 Hammond C-3
                Motion Sound Pro 3
                Motion Sound Low Pro
                1958 Hammond M-3
                1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Robert View Post
                  Thank you. That was very helpful but I want to make sure I understand you on one point. So none of those screws need to be in the organ when it is stationary?
                  The only reason to have the screws in the generator when stationary, is to keep from losing them :)
                  Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
                  Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
                    The only reason to have the screws in the generator when stationary, is to keep from losing them :)
                    That's what I needed to know, although it will still bug me until I know the screws all fit corrrectly. I will find out in a couple days. But at least knowing that it's okay playing without them screwed in will give me a lot of peace of mind. Thanks!
                    sigpic
                    1956 Hammond C-3
                    Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                    1963 Hammond D-152
                    1963 Hammond C-3
                    Motion Sound Pro 3
                    Motion Sound Low Pro
                    1958 Hammond M-3
                    1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Robert View Post
                      The question has been answered, and you have replacement on the way, but for what it's worth, those screws are, in fact, SAE # 10-32.
                      Do not hesitate to play your Hammond without those screws.

Bob
                      In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
                      In reality, there is.
                      '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
                      H-324/Series 10 TC
                      '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
                      Look at some of my rescues:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Thanks, everybody! I love this forum!
                        sigpic
                        1956 Hammond C-3
                        Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                        1963 Hammond D-152
                        1963 Hammond C-3
                        Motion Sound Pro 3
                        Motion Sound Low Pro
                        1958 Hammond M-3
                        1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

If your playing style is anything like this, you may want to keep the screws tight 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ
                          Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

[QUOTE=tpappano;494287]If your playing style is anything like this, you may want to keep the screws tight 8)

I sure wouldn't be loaning that guy any of my organs!
                            sigpic
                            1956 Hammond C-3
                            Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                            1963 Hammond D-152
                            1963 Hammond C-3
                            Motion Sound Pro 3
                            Motion Sound Low Pro
                            1958 Hammond M-3
                            1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Originally posted by tpappano View Post
                              If your playing style is anything like this, you may want to keep the screws tight 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ
                              At least he's using an old well-built BC box. A 70s B-3 would be reduced to firewood with that treatment!
                              Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
                              Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Working...
                              X