Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A100 sounds gritty. Bad Tube?

I have a 1965 A100.

The tone from the top of the leslie sounds gritty. And not in a good way.

My preamp levels on the Leslie are set to around 7 or 8 and it sounded GREAT. Now the sound is not desirable.

I opened the back of the organ and tapped on some tubes and found one of the tubes sounding a little "thumpy" and could hear that thump through the leslie when i tapped it.

I've included a picture of which tube I'm speaking of. I think is the V1 tube in the preamp section.

I haven't really noticed a HUGE drop-off in overall volume but rather in tone quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Bad?.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	615585

I also have a small sound recording of the grittiness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rk1ba5b9s...Sound.m4a?dl=0

Any thoughts on what it could be? I have a call into my organ tech but its Xmas eve. I have a show tonight and was hoping to troubleshoot before curtain.

thanks for any help!

why don't you suspect the leslie tubes?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Restored my Hammond C2 (Ser. 37447, 1950, original 230V/50Hz model, rev. B AO-10 Preamp and ElectroTone PER200 Percussion, this organ was made and exported to Switzerland in 1950. Also restored and using: Leslie 760, Leslie 122, 2 Hammond PR40, 2 Hammond L100.
    Hammond M3 (Ser. 58280).
    www.hammond-restauration.ch

Comment

Originally posted by freiburg View Post
      why don't you suspect the leslie tubes?
      It very well could be. I just went for the tube that I found that was microphonic.

I'm guessing it could be the Leslie top horn that's going bad?

When I hold a key down the distortion has a rhythm to it ... as if it's slightly distorting when the horns turn and hit a specific location. It's definitely rhythmic and I can hear it when the Leslie is miked up and I have my headphones on in studio.

It seems to get worse when i use the Percussion with the top register...and seems to get worse the higher and louder I go.

What would be the first thing to start replacing?

Comment

first thing i would check are the 6550 power tubes of the leslie. next i would hook the organ to another amp to find out whether thid signal is clean or not.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Restored my Hammond C2 (Ser. 37447, 1950, original 230V/50Hz model, rev. B AO-10 Preamp and ElectroTone PER200 Percussion, this organ was made and exported to Switzerland in 1950. Also restored and using: Leslie 760, Leslie 122, 2 Hammond PR40, 2 Hammond L100.
        Hammond M3 (Ser. 58280).
        www.hammond-restauration.ch

Comment

If it’s an A100, do you get this problem through the built in speakers?
          Hammonds; BV, M101, T202, T402, R100
          Lowreys; Heritage DSA, Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1
          Farfisa Compact Duo MK2 CD/30
          Analog Korg CX3
          Leslies; 147, 145, HL822 ‚Äč

Comment

Working...
          X