Help with a b3000 and Leslie 900

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a b3000 and Leslie 900

k I’m new to the forum and I have a b3000 that I got free from a church. I just purchased a Leslie model 900. I’m wondering if I can make a box like the dr. Fishsticks with a 1/4” in and get the bass and treble from the b3000 to the Leslie 900? I’ve seen on other posts that the b3000 is a two channel and I really need to know the best avenue for me to travel with this. Thank you for the add to the forum and hope to get some responses from anyone who can help me. Cheers

I’m wondering the specs on the relays and transformer I have to use to build it. Or if someone can guide me to a forum that has a schematic if one that’s been built. Thank you.

Comment

Well the outpouring of help and knowledge humbles me! Lol

Comment

What you’re asking is custom work. It can be easy for a technician to complicated for a newbie. The basic concept is this. The Hammond is 11 pin with no AC power. The Leslie is 9 pin and requires AC through that connector. A “box” would have AC supplied to the 9 pin and simply carry the proper signals from the 11 pin to the 9 pin. The signal levels will match and the switching is simply making grounds on specific pins. Pin 1 from the 11 pin is main (bass) and pin 2 is rotary. The problem is the 900 is a single channel with electronic crossover. So some mixing is required to get both channels from the B-3000 to the input of the Leslie, pin 2.
        A partial pic of the B-3000 output is attached.

Here’s the 900 schematic. http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/Leslie_schematics/900.gif

Geo

Comment

Thank you geoelectro. I really appreciate the reply. I have my brother who is a millwright and electrician helping me but he’s not versed in Leslie’s or hammonds. My root of the project is to build a control box for the Leslie 900 just like a dr fishticks. Then plug the b3000 by a 1/4” chord into said homemade controller. I want to be able to plug any organ or guitar direct to the Leslie 900. So my objective is to really build a controller with a stompbox to change speed of Leslie and still be able to use the Leslie 900s amp.

Comment

I’m sure there must be a forum already on here where someone has done this and has schematics or drawings. I’m not a total newb with working on hammonds or guitars. I have restored 3 L-100’s and an M3. And understand the workings of most TG organs. But when it comes to building a Leslie controller that’s my weakness lol.

Comment

What you want to build is the equivalent of a 9-pin Combo Pre-Amp, then. I'm sure you'll find the schematics on line somewhere. But remind me (as I haven't seen one in years) does the B3000 have a 1/4" out at a level that will drive an amp?

PS, you weren't planning on gigging with the B3000, were you? They are first generation LSI Hammonds and often don't like being moved around!
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Suggest get yourself a specification sorted out first - decide what you want to do before you mess up a nice Hammond and Leslie. The 700 series Leslie I have has a multicore cable between the organ and speaker with some signal voltages and mains voltages (well over the fatal level) mixed in together. Get some wiring diagrams from the internet - make this job safe. My own Leslie has a 2 channel amp - one side for treble via the horns and the other for the bass. totally agree with Andy as regards moving Hammonds - they are like trees - once planted best left alone. You are effectively turning a half moon switch into a stomp box with a switch. Suggest sticking with the half moons they work well.

Comment

And with all due respect, an electrician may not be an electronics engineer. Unless of course he fixes stuff like broken valve guitar amps in his spare time...

Comment

Have no fear ALPINE...My brothers a millwright and electrician. He keeps the Toyota plant in Cambridge,Ontario,Canada running. He also flys around the world and sets up new robotic assembly lines in factories. He deals with way higher voltages than you regular house. I’m pretty sure he’s capable of a job like this. The b3000 is a strictly studio instrument it never moves. Andyg there are two 1/4” jacks under my b3000 the one on the left is headphones and the one on the right is signal out. We had it running through my friends motion pro and it was growling that Leslie!!!

Comment

I will post pics of project. And hopefully a video of this B3000 in action howling like a banshee, because I’ve seen a lot of B3000 haters on here and our keyboard player in the band. who’s played for decades on a real B3/122 says he loves it!! So some cork sniffers might have to eat their corks on this one!!!

Comment

As a former Ontarioan, I had a great laugh at how you described snobs. Another good one that I saw here in this forum was "staring down their pontifical noses..."

I would love to hear it being played. Even with a smart phone. You can try Vocaroo (free) which works with the forum requirements.
                        1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond A100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Comment

Ok here a link to YouTube video of the B3000/Leslie https://youtu.be/kWkTwp5yCqU. Still have to make a control box for Leslie 900. So when that’s done I’ll post another video for anyone interested.

Comment

Working...
                          X