This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bearing problem w/ the B3

I acquired a 1961 B3 a little over 3 years ago. Was in a living room all its life and in nice condition. i had it brought back to "factory fresh" about 2 years ago. One of the things that was done was to remove the manuals and then flip the TWG over and oil direct all the bearings. Vibrato scanner was also re built. Once in a while I get a squealing sound out of the organ like a bearing is in need of oil. The organ was oiled once a year its entire life and I also maintain that schedule properly. The squeal like a fan belt on a car when it squeals though not as loud. No rhyme or reason as to when it will do this . Sometimes once a week or sometimes once very two weeks. The noise will last for about 5-10 minutes then go away. It sounds like it is coming from the end of the TWG near the vibrato scanner. Turning the organ off and on again has no effect. The noise has to run its course and then it stops. Changing the volume or switching on or off the vibrato, etc. makes no difference. It is not getting any worse but its been like this for about two years now.
    I'm wondering if I have a bearing that is not getting oil for some reason or maybe its something else?
    thanks for you thoughts.......Pat

Sounds like a possible broken oiling thread. Filter tray needs to be unsoldered and flipped up for access. Worth doing as you will be able to check the threads to the other bins too. I've been fortunate that all my broken threads have been accessible ones on tremulant box, scanner and run motor (so far).
    Hammond C3, M102, H112, XB3, XB5, X5, TTR-100
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Gibson G201, Korg BX3 Mk1
    Leslie 122 x2, 145 x2, 910
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

You can't over-oil the generator. You can over-oil the scanner. Be generous with the bass-side cups and oil that thing like crazy, putting rags down to prevent making a mess. At this point, once a year is not often enough.

I can't say I've ever removed the filter tray for a deep oiling job - that's one way to do it. You'll have less soldering to do, and less chance of mis-wiring things by desolder the manual/pedal wiring harness and preamp, and pulling the generator out. Just a matter of opinion - more than one way to do these tasks.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I haven't heard the squealing noise lately but I know it will appear again sometime. i',m going to try Muckelroy's advice and oil that TWG ( not the Vibrato, I know about that). I always thought once a year was enough but I agree that too much is better than not enough. I really don't want to get into removing the TWG tray and flipping it and looking at the adjacent oil threads but I could have a broken thread. I'll wait and see.

Comment

Wondering if by flipping the TWG over to oil directly you may have dislodged an oil wick or two ? that might cause the dry bearing to show up ...oil wick not in the correct place.
          I can also tell you that I did a flush on my B3 with naptha straight into the oil cups twice or three times and then again with the napatha cut with progressively more generator oil . The flushed out dirt was impressive on the toweling under the TWG _ but the reason I mention this is the side advantage that now the oil straight really does flow well in the threads and gets to the bearings
          Practise the theory...realize the practical
          Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Comment

Thanks PGR, I hadn't thought of the possible dislodging an oil wick while TWG was flipped over.

I like the idea of doing a napatha flush to get all that old gunk out of there and then fresh oil in. Was there a video on how to do this? Did you work some towels under the TWG or did you remove it completly?

Comment

Originally posted by carioca100 View Post
              I like the idea of doing a napatha flush to get all that old gunk out of there and then fresh oil in. Was there a video on how to do this? Did you work some towels under the TWG or did you remove it completly?
              Suspend the generator on its springs, so that there is a gap in between the bottom and the shelf. Then, slide several sheets of newspaper, or other absorbent material, under the generator. Do this in a well ventilated area and minimize the potential for electrical events, flames, or static electricity. Naphtha, and its fumes, are highly flammable. Slowly fill the generator oil cups with naphtha. I use a plastic bottle with a long, thin injection rubber tube on the end. I probably have put about 16 ounces of the stuff through the times I have done it. Let it dry, dispose of the mess, and before it's all completely dry, follow-up with a fresh large serving of Hammond oil.

Naphtha is not legal in all countries. Your milage may vary. Be careful and follow all warnings on the label if you use it. There are safer substances out there that will accomplish the same task. Also, this is all for nothing if you have any broken wicks.

Comment

muckelroy has it right ...lots of venting I took my TWG out of the B3 mostly cause I was doing a full clean up and restore I would actually suggest two or three 100% flushes - More wont hurt anything besides your not likely to use the napatha for anything else except if your a camper? you don't need to run the TWG while your doing this. To do it in the organ use strips of wood under the TWG about 1.25" is enough making sure you lift the back edge and the front edge too - keep it level and then pad under it well - use lots of paper .... to absorb the mess. fill the cups lots of times. Most of the gunk is in the trough were the absorbing theads are . your trying to get the junk from here down the threads to the ends and then flow out onto the paper. lots of flushes.
                Practise the theory...realize the practical
                Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Comment

Thanks guys. Good to warn on the potential fire issue w/ this stuff. I will do this flush w/ the TWG in the organ. I'll have to wait when my wife leaves for a week so the smell in the room won't drive her to take my head off! I'll find out if this eliminates the random squeal issue. If not then its likely a broken oil thread somewhere
                  I now live in Florida so I'm sure I can find Naptha somewhere here,

Appreciate the technique you have all suggested in doing this.

Comment

Working...
                  X