X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond L102 motor and other issues

Hi everyone,
    I have a friend that has issues with his L102 and he lives far from me so before I get into the car it would be great if you could help me to diagnose the problem !
    He said to me that he was playing and a loud hum came from the organ. He also got a small shock from the lead. Then the organ started to lose power to the tonewheel generator. the organ went flat by a couple of tones and the generator won't start up at all now.
    When organ powered on, the tubes light up.
    Could it be the can capacitor by the motor?
    Is there any fuses inside these organs?
    Thanks for your help!

A

Originally posted by toto View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a friend that has issues with his L102 and he lives far from me so before I get into the car it would be great if you could help me to diagnose the problem !
    He said to me that he was playing and a loud hum came from the organ. He also got a small shock from the lead. Then the organ started to lose power to the tonewheel generator. the organ went flat by a couple of tones and the generator won't start up at all now.
    When organ powered on, the tubes light up.
    Could it be the can capacitor by the motor?
    Is there any fuses inside these organs?
    Thanks for your help!

A
    Quite possibly the capacitor, they are very old now. DO NOT try to power it up again even just to test. Remove power fully . Gingerly remove back wearing some protection in case the capacitor is about to blow. If the capacitor is very hot be careful, the top blows off and scatters nasty oil and burnt paper everywhere. Let it cool down before removing the capacitor.
    I got those symptoms, and then mine went, with a big bang and oil everywhere, after I powered it on again with the back off to identify why it wasn't running properly. Very dangerous and I was lucky. Rather than trying to find another one of the same type, I put in 2 new plastic encapsulated motor start ones in parallel, to make up the original value and voltage rating. Got mine from Maplin, but they've gone bust so it would probably have to be somewhere like RS Components.

Frankly, even if it's not the capacitor, I'd still replace it.

Comment

Thanks for that!
      I thought that too.
      I was looking at tonewheel general hospital and the replacement cans are for 110V and we run 220 here. Maplin is closed here in Ireland too now what a shame!
      What type of capacitor do I need? I'm afraid to order something wrong!
      A

Comment

Here's my post from a couple of years ago:
        https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...k-or-usa/page2
        I see I used 2x2.5uF in series to get the 1.25uF value. You should check the value in the organ you are looking at is marked as 1.25uF in case yours is different. The ones I bought fitted neatly side by side where the original can had been.

There seem to be lots on Ebay, these should do you, I seem to remember I carefully sawed the screw threaded part, which was plastic on the maplin ones, off:
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...ZMsw:rk:6:pf:0

Comment

Thanks Alpine for the help, I'll order that.
          I made a wiring drawing to make sure I don't make a mistake. Is it the correct way to wire these 2 capacitors together?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	648110

Comment

There aren't really 4 terminals on each capacitor. I can't remember the wire colours, but looking at the Captain Foldback schematic there are 2 wires to the original capacitor, red and black on the schematic. So you connect one capacitor terminal to the red wire. The other terminal on that capacitor connects to the second capacitor, and then the other terminal on the second capacitor goes to the black wire.
            Last edited by alpine; 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hello,

The pic show a L100 motor with 2 x 2,5µF capacitors.
              One is shorted by a 220K 2W resistor for discharge.

JP

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help guys, Ill order caps and try this!
                Ill keep you posted

A

Comment

Have a closer look at the pic : The brown wire connect the frame of the motor to the ground picked on wheel.
                  This is to eliminate a source of static noise.

JP

Comment

Working...
                  X