This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammod SKX vs Crumar Mojo

When I was looking for a clone organ I chose the Crumar Mojo over the Hammond SK2 simply because it had a good sound and has two sets of drawbars. I couldn't see using one set of drawbars to handle both manuals. I do own a SK1 however. Now Hammond has come out with the SKX. I haven't played one yet and my dealer doesn't have one in the store so I can't compare. I wonder if anyone has compared the two and which they think is best. If I do buy the SKX I'll still keep the Mojo for a backup. I'm just trying to see if it is worth buying the SKX.

The SKX is Vase III technology, i.e. the same basic sound engine as the XK3, so it's 15 year old technology. The mojo continues to evolve. Soundwise the Mojo is at the next level. The Mojo's V/C is the best I've heard in any clone. If I had a Mojo I would not be looking at an SKX at all. Spend your hard earned money on something more needy.
    57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Gemini desktop module & Burn Leslie sim; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo
    https://www.facebook.com/dyin.breed.10

Comment

If you already have an SK1,the same sound engine is tweaked on the SKX.
      Played the XK3 beside the Nord C2D? Chose the Nord. Still happy with it,good clone IMO.
      The key contact bounce modeling is superb on the C2D.Very convincing. Perc not so much,have yet to be 'sold' on any of them.
      XK5? Same old technology. Big $ for the newer/better models.....

Crumar Mojo sounds great,not enough features for my taste.Still a bargain if you don't already have something else....
      Viscount Legend yet to make it's way to my hands and ears....
      and still none of them play or sound like my Hammond TWG organs.Period.

Having the real deal around does alter ones perception of clones.....as in 'nice try everybody'......
      A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

From my recent experience, horses for courses maybe. I bought a Mojo61 but it went back within 4 hours. To be fair it was probably I was just having a bad day. It started when I tried the Acoustic Piano, was not good. I tried the Rhodes, was not good so I thought to startup the editor. It was not a reliable connection, my "devices" could see the Wi-Fi signal but the Mojo kept dropping the "internet" connection so trying to load up the editor was a waste of effort, so I couldn't edit anything. Reject.
        I didn't try any organs because I couldn't get to edit anything and I tried the demo VB3 II and thought it was good if not a glitch on the Leslie speed switch.

I tried a Nord but that wasn't to my liking, but again that was in a shop and the saleman wasn't interetested. I don't like doing this but I am warming to the idea of buy and return.

Viscount - yeh give that a go. I have the Obie version and it's seems quite good, maybe not as accurate a copy of, but a good tone and tweakability. In many ways I prefer it to the SK2.
        C3+122, Ensoniq EPS16+ (expert programmer!), SD-1. Previous: VOX Continental, Farfisa Compact Duo, L100, XB2, X5+760

Comment

My recent experiences with SK2 and SKx have not been particularly awe inspiring. I was looking for a portable keyboard for my son so that when he leaves home for Uni, he will always have a keyboard available with a decent hammond sound plus a range of other keyboard instruments.

First purchase was an SK2, it arrived with a dead 'A' key in the second octave, lower manual. Mmmm, thought I, a bit of a disappointment pointing to lack of QC at the factory or at the dealers pre-delivery inspection (if they do such a thing?). Of course, it had to be returned and the dealer was most apologetic and helpful in the return.

Whilst it was winging its way back to the dealer, I decided that I probably wouldn't be happy with a fix being applied to this organ and then returned to me, so I organised an upgrade - to an SKx. Again, the dealer was most agreeable in facilitating the upgrade and maintained a reasonable discount on the upgraded SKx. For info purposes, a new SKx here in Australia hits deep into the pocket at AUD5,995- (approx USD4,200). Still, there have been a few useful tweaks and changes and the second set of drawbars add an extra level of convenience.

So, the SKx arrives and the new instrument is all hooked up with the young feller feeling all bright eyed and bushy-tailed with the new/improved instrument of which he is now the proud owner. After a couple of weeks have passed by and about 30 hours of play time into it, the instrument develops a very audible vibration of the middle rail every time you press upper manual keys around the middle two octaves. Of course, it sets one off thinking "WTF is going on with the quality of these things?".

So, given that it is approx a 3 week turnaround between sending and receiving a shipment to/from the dealer, I thought that I had better have a chat with them as I was sure I can fix the problem myself, but didn't want to void the warranty. I was given the green light to fix it (which I did within a couple of hours) and whilst I had the thing open, realised just how compact the PCB and sound generators etc now are. There really isn't much in there and there are a lot of plastics that I am not sure about the longevity of. I have also resolved to purchase another PSU that I will fix inside the SKX and cut an IEC connector into the rear panel - just as soon as the warranty runs out. I will wire that PSU 'brick' into the back of the connector without disconnecting the existing socket. That way, there will always be a Plan A or B if any of the PSU fail or a PSU or connector lead gets forgotten or lost.

Soundwise, well ...yeah/nah... it is always a problem when it is sat next to a C-3 and 147, but, taking it for what it is - I am reasonably happy with it. However, for what it will provide as a future instrument to my son when he leaves home and ensuring that he can keep the Hammond sound going, I couldn't be happier.

And, as to the OP question "Hammond SKx -vs- Crumar Mojo", I am sure that the price difference (2K here in AU) would not be worth it on just a pure organ sound, but the SKx does compensate by providing a range of instruments over and above the base organ sets. It makes for a quite passable single instrument for many stage purposes....

1966 C-3 / 925
          1965 M102 / 145
          1967 M111A / 330

Comment

• Sweet Pete
            Sweet Pete commented
            Editing a comment
            This Nord C2D is very well made.No issues whatsoever.Very happy with it thanks.

I do technical things, I decided... yeh take a peek inside. Opened up my SK2 and.... there's nothing in there but a tiny circuit board!! (watch out for that one screw fixing underneath that secures the top panel) That's how it done nowerdays, my Viscount DB5 is the same a PCB about 12"x 6" the rest is wood making up the 40kg! I have some Korg BX3 and they are full with circuit boards, the technology is 1983 so is naturally bigger.
          The SK2 is similar, nice folded aluminum box, all looks to be well designed. Usually products are tested before boxed at the factory, sometimes things work loose or drop off in transit. So far it looks to be a good sturdy design mechanically, the external PSU is daft should be IEC and the jacks are not sturdy (expect intermittant connections in future).

Not wishing to trash the Mojo, I hear some people have had faults on delivery, disappointing but the trick is being able to resolve them with minimum pain.
          C3+122, Ensoniq EPS16+ (expert programmer!), SD-1. Previous: VOX Continental, Farfisa Compact Duo, L100, XB2, X5+760

Comment

I've had the SK2 since it came out. It is by far and away the best Hammond clone.
            Sound and ability to get under the hood is head and shoulders above anything else.
            I had the keyboard player from Procul Harem at a gig last year and he said it's far and away the best Hammond sound he has heard, couldn't tell it from an analogue machine.
            Thats good enough for me!
            Now the SKX has come out it addresses any issues with live playing through having three set of drawbars and even better attribution of additional sounds (if you want them)
            I've just bought the SKX and am in the process of transferring over...........

Comment

PROCOL HARUM is the correct spelling.The organ solo heard on Conquistador with the ESO?That's my Marshall powering the Leslie.How the songs are performed is easily as important as whatever clone is in use.They all fall short of the real deal.
              A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Originally posted by Losendoskeys View Post
                ..snip..
                I had the keyboard player from Procol Harem at a gig last year and he said it's far and away the best Hammond sound he has heard, couldn't tell it from an analogue machine.
                ..snip......
                That's one of the moody sounds I want to recreate on my SK2 - that's what I want.. need.

I'm still getting to grips with it's inner workings. I have written a bit of code that takes in a Tonewheel file TWL and outputs a CSV file will all the settings so they can be manipulated in spreadsheets. It's one way, read only, I don't intend to write an editor to create custom toneweheel sets. I'm also building an editor for SoundDiver. It's not really needed to edit the SK2 it just makes it easier and faster to get to a parameter. Hmm.. wrong thread to mention this perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                  PROCOL HARUM is the correct spelling.The organ solo heard on Conquistador with the ESO?That's my Marshall powering the Leslie.How the songs are performed is easily as important as whatever clone is in use.They all fall short of the real deal.
                  Lol! Spelling corrected by an American, thats a first for me!
                  I'll happily pass on your comments about "real deal" to Josh, you can compare notes.
                  I have as good an ear as anyone, I've been listening to Genesis since the 70's, it's in my blood and I have recreated the sound of an L100 using the SK2 and custom tonewheels.
                  We'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

• Sweet Pete
                    Sweet Pete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm Canadian,and have the same monarch on my money as you!
                    Yep,Canada is THE place to be! Hockey in Las Vegas? Good luck with that! They aren't ready to do anything except go back into quarantine.Sad.

Originally posted by Bodie View Post

That's one of the moody sounds I want to recreate on my SK2 - that's what I want.. need.

I'm still getting to grips with it's inner workings. I have written a bit of code that takes in a Tonewheel file TWL and outputs a CSV file will all the settings so they can be manipulated in spreadsheets. It's one way, read only, I don't intend to write an editor to create custom toneweheel sets. I'm also building an editor for SoundDiver. It's not really needed to edit the SK2 it just makes it easier and faster to get to a parameter. Hmm.. wrong thread to mention this perhaps.
                  An editor is exactly what I need right now to move the settings from my SK2 to the SKX - see my other thread.
                  I've got 30 plus patches so it's a PITA

Comment

... created a L100 on your SK2!?.. *gets a round of beers in, pushes a few towards Losenoskeys*

I've done a bit of code that takes the TWL and exports as a CSV file, so far it good for looking to see how for example Jim Alfredson has done his 1954-C2. It's in Python 3.4.3 if anyone wants the Python code or Jim's 1954-C2 CSV.

So far, I don't think the SK2 allows a single patch to be downloaded and saved via midi, I think a Patch lives one at a time in the Temp buffer and we work on that. So far I've managed to access the Global parameters and what looks like the Temp Buffer. That's still good. Writing adpatations (think- driver) for SoundDiver is always a wrestling contest. To use my adaptation, which is currently WIP, started 2 days ago, needs SoundDiver 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie View Post
                      ... created a L100 on your SK2!?.. *gets a round of beers in, pushes a few towards Losenoskeys*

I've done a bit of code that takes the TWL and exports as a CSV file, so far it good for looking to see how for example Jim Alfredson has done his 1954-C2. It's in Python 3.4.3 if anyone wants the Python code or Jim's 1954-C2 CSV.

So far, I don't think the SK2 allows a single patch to be downloaded and saved via midi, I think a Patch lives one at a time in the Temp buffer and we work on that. So far I've managed to access the Global parameters and what looks like the Temp Buffer. That's still good. Writing adpatations (think- driver) for SoundDiver is always a wrestling contest. To use my adaptation, which is currently WIP, started 2 days ago, needs SoundDiver 3.0
                      See what you think of the Hammond in this...........
                      Can't wait for your hard work I'm afraid.
                      I've started the trawl through the SK2 to record all the settings - what a PITA.
                      Still the first patch on the SKX DOES sound better........a bit warmer I would say

Comment

Well I trawled through the patches, threw a few out and set about inputting on the SKX. They really need a sound editor for this board!!!
                        Took a day but I have got them all done and it sounds great, luckily the basic layout of the menus is the same and you can even save to an SK2 formatted memory stick.
                        The external layout makes more sense
                        The SOS review attached backs up my thoughts (and Josh Philips) that you really can't tell the difference between this and an analogue Hammond, especially in the live environment.
                        Side by side even analogue Hammonds differ!

Is the SKX the lightweight gigging Hammond you've always dreamed of?

Comment

Working...
                        X