This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 Line Out Thumping Noise

My M3 has a line out circuit which includes a 3-way Telecaster switch for MEE switching. Recently I swapped the molex connector that hooked the switch/line out to the organ speaker and amp for a sturdier RCA connection, and the cap, resistor, and volume pot (amp load resistor remained). Now I've noticed a low-frequency thumping noise in the ensemble and echo positions. It only comes thru the organ speaker in the ensemble position. In the echo position, it develops a 'scratchier' quality, no matter what amp I'm running the line out to. The thumping beats at the same frequency as the vibrato scanner, but is only apparent when the volume is on normal and the pedal is maxed, BOTH vibrato switches are off, and the type switch is in normal position. Switching the vibrato on for either manual cancels the sound, as does backing off the swell pedal just a bit. Dendrites? Something in my line out circuit? The line out signal has become very scratchy and distorted, even at a low volume level. I imagine that maybe there's something wrong in the box that holds my line out circuit that's causing the bad signal, but am not sure if the thumping is related or not. I can upload a circuit diagram later.
    Farfisa Mini Compact V1, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk. 1, Hammond B2, Hammond L-102 "El Choppo", Hammond M-101, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie 145, Leslie "430" (former 130 cab with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

You can eliminate the scanner by un-soldering the connection at terminal D.

Are the filter caps original?

Jim

Comment

The filter caps are original. Replacing them is on my to-do list. I guess it just may have moved up the list, eh?
      Farfisa Mini Compact V1, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk. 1, Hammond B2, Hammond L-102 "El Choppo", Hammond M-101, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie 145, Leslie "430" (former 130 cab with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

Comment

Possible - I've encountered some really weird M3 amp issues in the past year - all were fixed by swapping out the electrolytic's. I think a large part of the problems were due to the loss of decoupling when C65 and C66 (part of the can cap) opened up.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X