X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3 Missing Tones

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on the Forum, I hope someone can help me. I have recently worked on a 1964 C3. Removed and cleaned all the keys, stripped and cleaned all the drawbar assemblies and preset bars, restored all the woodwork. I did not remove the manuals.

After reassembly I am missing the following tones:

Lower manual Key 20, 21, 22, 24 silent on drawbar 1
    24 silent on drawbar 2
    21, 22 silent on drawbar 3
    19,20, 23, 24, silent on drawbar 8
    20 silent on drawbar 9

Upper Manual key 36 silent on drawbar 8- drawbar 8 also gives a continuous tone with no key presses.

I could not be 100% sure if all tones were working before I stripped and rebuilt.

The pattern is not consistent with missing TG frequencies, I would suspect key contacts or resistance wires but would like an experience view before delving too deeply back into the manuals.

For info the top manual is foam and the bottom is felt. Original manuals, but must have been from the crossover period. Curiously the felt manual shows more problems.

If anyone could shed some light, that would be great, have seen similar posts but would appreciate a fresh view if possible. Thank You.

Just below there is a thread "C3 keyboard issues". Take a look at the videos and it may answer your question about the constant tone. This might be be easily fixed if this is indeed your problem, although it means removing all the keys again.
    Your observation on missing tones is accurate; contacts, buss bar, resistance wires are all suspect.
    It might be easier to just take the keyboard out to further investigate.

If there was an issue in either the TG or the wiring, there would be missing tones in many places, the following interactive chart will pinpoint the offending tone:
    http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/wiring/

Bob
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.
    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
    H-324/Series 10 TC
    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
    Look at some of my rescues:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Wow, quick response, thanks Bob, I guess it confirms what I suspected, just need to steel myself now to take it apart again! Ah well that's the magic of Hammonds. My intention is to sell it when everything is right.....

Comment

Got to the bottom of it. A bunch of resistance wires have become detached from the key contacts, all have come away at the spot weld, which is really strange, and only between keys 19 to 24. Anyone ever found this before? I can fix this with a link wire soldered in (have done 4 which bell out ok back to the key contacts) It doesn't look like the manuals have ever been apart, so I am a bit mystified about the root cause. Any ideas? Also the bussbars are in poor condition, and around these keys the palladium wire was quite broken. This is another problem I need to think about. Gold plating is looking favourite.

I also de foamed the upper manual which fortunately only had a single strip of foam that had not touched any wires. Cleaned up well and everything else in there looked fine. More hours in the garage ahead, at least the weather is getting warmer.

Comment

It's probably from a high amount of playing. Every time a contact is engaged, it bends and flexes the wire. After enough bends, it can break. That would also explain the wear you're seeing on the busbars. I've seen it before.

geo

Comment

Working...
          X