Some m3 contacts not working,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some m3 contacts not working,

I've got an M3,. and recently got the tone wheel running (when I bought it the tone wheel was stuck, hadn't been played for 20 or 30 years) Now that the
    tonewheel is running nicely,...I do know that the amplifier sounds good and has low noise tubes compared to most. HOWEVER,..there are 5 or 10 notes that do not make sound. I would imagine that the contacts have decided to be corroded since they've not been used in forever. Is there a fixit manual or ? video that shows how to deal with this? I sure hope there is something out there. This forum was recommended as a place to get answers like this.

Which notes aren't sounding? Pull out one drawbar at a time and make notes of which notes are silent. Repeat for both manuals. Then come back and we'll see what your problem most likely boils down to.
    Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
    Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Try shifting the bus bars, there are two screws, one on the top right of the upper manual, and one nestled down in a nook at an angle for the lower manual. Turn each of these a half turn either way after taking the screw all the way to one side, I think, I did this once on my M3 and it provided a brand new contact surface in which all the notes works. Here's a video showing what I'm explaining, don't take my word for it if my memory is faulty though, watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hsogXIX2I

This was made for a B3 or C3 organ, but there will be a similar looking screw in the spots I mentioned, which is the only difference. If the link happens to not work, look up "Jim Huss Hammond Bus Bar Shift"

If this doesn't work, unfortunately there are tones on the tonewheels generator which aren't working, in which case you'll have to track down which tonewheels are bad by pulling out the lowest drawbar on either manual (if upper, percussion off), and running through all the keys on the manual, trying to find the faulty tonewheel(s). Once you get to the end of the manual on that drawbar, push it back in and select a higher drawbar, and run through again. Essentially you're just checking every individual tonewheel. Once you find a key and single drawbar that doesn't work, cross reference it with another key and single drawbar combination that doesn't work to ensure that tonewheel is bad. You can see how to do this by looking up the M3 service manual and using the tonewheel charts and TG layouts, which you can find online. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X