This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower manual for a Hammond XK5

I'm considering adding an XK5. Currently I'm using my SK1-73 and a Nord E5d but sometimes I'd really like an "All Hammond" dual manual setup. Is anybody using Hammond SK1-73 (or other KB) as a lower manual for a Hammond XK5? It seems like it would be a simple midi connection and template choice, but I'd like to hear about anybody's experience. Cheers!

I had an XM2 (XK1 in a rack). Using one of the templates I was able to use two controllers as double manuals. I used the XMc2 midi drawbar controller to control the upper drawbars, V/C and percussion. I used the 9 sliders on my lower controller to control the lower boards drawbars. You should be able to do a simple midi connection and use the SK1 as the lower manual. The only disadvantage is that the SK1 doesnt have the three contact keybed system. I guess it depends how important this feature is to you.
    57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Gemini desktop module & Burn Leslie sim; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo
    https://www.facebook.com/dyin.breed.10

Comment

If you want it easy and tidy, just buy the XK5 lower. Note that if you are going to use it on a standard keyboard stand, the big "hole" in the bottom of the dual manual setup makes it easy for an accidental bump to send the keyboard to the floor. We added a full bottom panel to ours (birch ply, painted black) which has the added benefit of keeping the bottoms of the Hammond bits from getting all scratched up.

Comment

Or skip the (vastly overpriced, IMO) XK5, and get a Viscount Legend Live instead. It's a full 2-manual clone with 2 sets of drawbars per manual and a very Hammond-like user interface, and it's half the price of the single manual XK5. Or if you want a single manual clone, the Legend Solo costs about 1/4 of the XK5 and has an equally good user interface, except only two sets of drawbars total.
        Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
        Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

I have an XK5 and connect it to my old XKL-3 lower manual and XPK 200 pedalboard. It's a simple MIDI hookup as it was with the XK3c. There are a few cables floating about, but that's all. It's a physically compatible drop in too, which is a consideration, as it looks pretty well all of a piece. You should find a second hand one. The XK5 is great, by the way and much better than the XK3c. It plays better, has two sets of drawbars per manual and the vib/chorus is more lifelike. I have an A100 to compare it to and it's the closest to the real thing I've ever heard and played.
          Hammond A100 1968 (UK manufacture) Leslie 145, Hammond Suzuki XK5 with lower manual and XPK 200 pedalboard, XK3c with lower manual and XPK 200 pedalboard, Leslie 3300, Motionsound Pro 145, modified for 11 pin input and uprated bass driver.

Comment

Working...
          X