Hammond M102 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammond M102 Questions

Hey all again. Q#1 I want to unplug the Leslie 45, then cram 2 wires into two of the holes (???dont know which ones yet) ,add a 1/4" jack, then plug into an Amp with a lot of overdrive. Q#2. I do want to do fold backs . Seen video for lower fold back it seems easier to do and seems like all I will need is wire to complete that job. The upper fold back job I can't find the info or a good video. It also looks like I will have to add some resisters as well as wire. any info will be appreciated. If I do the lower fold back, will I loose the foot pedals? Last question: CAPACITORS??? as I said its a Hammond M102 pretty old. Any opinions or thoughts the capacitor replacement subject.

Originally posted by Ork View Post
    Hey all again. Q#1 I want to unplug the Leslie 45, then cram 2 wires into two of the holes (???dont know which ones yet) ,add a 1/4" jack, then plug into an Amp with a lot of overdrive.
    Do not shove wires into the Leslie socket. That is deadly at worst, and unreliable at best. You'll want to construct a separate line out. There are ample resources that will guide you on how to do this, all revealed by a simple internet or forum search.

Q#2. I do want to do fold backs . Seen video for lower fold back it seems easier to do and seems like all I will need is wire to complete that job. The upper fold back job I can't find the info or a good video. It also looks like I will have to add some resisters as well as wire. any info will be appreciated.
    If you want to sound like Jon Lord and drive your sound into extreme distortion, foldback won't make much of a difference on how you sound. It's a very complicated job. It's even harder on an M-111 as the control panel must be moved out of the way. There is a popular E-Bay seller who sells the foldback kits as well as provides extremely detailed instructions. If you buy the kit from him, he will be able to give you answers to those types of questions.

If a distorted signal is what you are after, you should probably sell your Leslie 45 and buy a Marshall amp and tone stack. I'm no expert on what Jon Lord used exactly, but your Leslie's drivers will quickly wear out if fed a heavily distorted signal. The ProLine Leslie speakers are better suited for higher power amps.

If I do the lower fold back, will I loose the foot pedals?
    No.

Last question: CAPACITORS??? as I said its a Hammond M102 pretty old. Any opinions or thoughts the capacitor replacement subject.
    All amps of this age need to be serviced. Replacing electrolytic capacitors throughout the amp is a good idea. This is not an easy job, and requires some level of electronics / soldering experience, as well as a working knowledge of tube amp circuits and basic safety. (Given your desire to "cram 2 wires into two of the holes", this is called into serious doubt). I would recommend you locate a qualified service tech to do most of this work for you, if you want it done right, and safely.

Comment

Well I sort agree and understand your concern. Sounds bad. obviously a adapter plug would be the better and safer option then two wires. I was actually trying to find out pin locations. I always use a multi meter first on anything really. Just sort of put it in lame terms thats all. my bad. Info is hard to find. The question about the capacitors which for me is a day and 1/2 job for sure. Sort of like a fret job on a guitar very time consuming I work on guitar amps, hard to believe LOL but generally have just removed the. ones that make noise, usually the sound filter one. I was wanting to know is there a big difference in sound improvement. ? is ti worth it.

Comment

Sorry, but this info is NOT hard to find by any means. Just enter "Leslie pinout" into Google and you'll instantly find all you need and lots more.

Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
        Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
        Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
        Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Should be pins 1 and 6 for signal, 6 being hot. But I wouldn't do this if I were you, they're not always the same, it's not a quality connection, and you could very easily do this mod with a trek II kit, or buying a resistor and wiring it into the internal speaker signal. It is a little more complicated with an M100 though because of the reverb signal, so I understand your concern. However, in the Hammond M service manual there's a simple diagram showing how to make this mod with a resistor you can buy online for less than a dollar. Here's a link to the service manual, see page 19.

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/file...t-1-470816.pdf

If the link doesn't work, just look up hammond m service manual, and it is the audiofanzine website, the manual being joint for all M hammonds. I recommend simply doing this. If you have any questions, you can ask me but you really shouldn't just jam wires into a leslie connector. Good luck, and I hope you should choose to just wire in the resistor.
          1958 Hammond M3 Leslie 145
          1963 Hammond M3
          Hammond L100 Leslie 120
          1979 Rhodes Piano
          Fender telecaster, Stratocaster, twin reverb

Comment

Thank you Alek Z, for not judging for starters, I do have tat Download in computer, 'I am pretty good with solder really and also being careful, I know for a fact I could get hurt doing something stupid so I approach these electrical devices, and I do love 'em but always with respect. Anything with tubes turns me aglow (pun) But I admit my downfall even I have theory crammed in my head. I don't have the aptitude to figure how it works or why it works. I knows its sort of like plumbing and. the electricity will take the least resistance path most schematic look like algebra to me. My repair record is pretty good for guitar amps. observation and deduction. I bought a Peavey Flight Case MX Amp that didn't work. Search online and found out about a Transistor that people were replacing. I bought the Transistor from Radio Shack installed it , now great amp but without internet and never would been able to diagnose it. Got lucky.
            Thank you again.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of wiring diagrams look like algebra to me too, haha. Here's the basic idea, in the back of the M100, there's 2 large speakers, you solder two wires to the speaker lugs, place a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor between them (one side of the resistor connecting to each wire). Do the same thing for the smaller reverb speaker. Then you place a 100 ohm resistor coming off the wire from the lug which had a green wire running to it (talking about the larger organ speaker here), and then place a 22 ohm resistor coming off the same part with the reverb speaker. Then wire these together and place a 22 ohm resistor between that connection and the left and right channel of the jack ( one resistor for each channel). Then take the other wire from the reverb speaker (ground wire) and run it to the ground of your jack. I highly recommend this, and like I said if you have any questions feel free to ask again on this forum or reach out to me.
              1958 Hammond M3 Leslie 145
              1963 Hammond M3
              Hammond L100 Leslie 120
              1979 Rhodes Piano
              Fender telecaster, Stratocaster, twin reverb

Comment

Totally appreciate the instructions , That I can visualize an be easy enough but because I won't have pretty much climb inside of the back and do that connection, but for the fact someone on eBay, selling a male 6 pin Leslie for cheap, with 2 wires attached already. I wouldn't have break a sweat installing that and the good thing I would already have 25' cable to reach to any one of my amps around the room. But I got another question that just popped up. My Leslie unit 47 model sounds great and everything but I am wondering why the reverb from the organ isn't connected to it as well is that normal?

Comment

Working...
                X