This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-routing pedals in M100

In the past I've had problems with the pedals on my M100. I thought I had solved them, but a few days ago I added upper manual foldback and after I've reassembled everything, for some reason, they don't work at all. I took a good look at all connections, re-flowed solder, etc. All tubes light...

Let's say I'm ok to live without the legato function, would it be possible to completely bypass the pedal amplifier and send the signal permanently to either the vibrato or non-vibrato channel? I'm thinking of gigging with this organ more often but I absolutely need the pedals when there's no bass player, so I'd want them to be as reliable as possible.

I looked at the schematics but it still isn't that obvious to me.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks and have a good day,
    Martin
    A100, X77, M3, M100, E100
    Leslie 147, 145, homemade road Leslie
    My youtube channel

No, not without modifying the entire circuit. You would need to swap the pedalboard for one with a simple "one closing contact per pedal" setup (like one from an L-100 for instance). You would also need to rewire the tone generator, because the bass tonewheels are all wired in series on the M-100 - that would need to be removed. And finally you would need to install a normal drawbar somehow for the bass, instead of the variable capacitor that's there now.
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Well, I'll put this here in case anyone would like to do it for whatever reason. I remembered a post on this forum where someone swapped the AO29 for an AO28 and managed to keep the pedal signal.

So, what I did is disconnect the grey wire from terminal R on the preamp (it comes from the pedals). This wire goes to one side of a 16 ohms resistor. I then disconnected the wire that goes to the highest lower-manual drawbar. The other side of the resistor goes to that drawbar, which now controls the pedals.
      At first, it worked but the sound never decayed. (Note remained on until I played another note.) I opened the pedalboard assembly and found that all I had to do was to find a way to keep the big brass switching mechanism in the "open" position, and now the sound stops immediately when the pedal is released.
      So, now it works like a console with the pedals going to vibrato or non-vibrato along with the lower manual.
      My youtube channel

Comment

Well... it couldn't have been that simple :) At first I listened through a 12" speaker, but when going through my Leslie, I realized that when no pedal is pressed, there is always some kind of crosstalk, probably due to the wiring in series.

Let's say I want to go deeper in this rabbit hole and actually use a pedalboard with "normally open" contacts, and rewire the tone generator accordingly...
        -The wire that goes to the drawbar will go to the new pedalboard's "bussbar"
        -One side of each pickup will go to the corresponding pedal contact, through a 16 ohms resistor
        -The other side of each pickup will go to... ground?

Does this make any sense? Thanks again Enor for your reply, and to anyone for suggestions.
        My youtube channel

Comment

New update, I re-wired the tone generator and the pedalboard, and everything works as expected. I actually modified the pedalboard's switches so that they operate in a "normally open" way. One thing I notice is that the attack of the pedals is now immediate like the manuals, instead of having a slight "fade in" as in the stock configuration through the pedal section of the amp.
          My youtube channel

Comment

That's nice! I've always found the snappy attack of the L-100 pedals to be the best feature of the L-100 - if that can trickle down (or actually "up") to the M-100, that's a very good thing!
            Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Working...
            X