This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recapping M3 Tone Generator

I've been thinking about recapping my M3 for a while now, and I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I just have a few questions. So I have all the red mylar caps from a broken L200 without and amp that I received a while ago (unfortunately I already removed them from the filter board, which only after I realized I shouldn't have done... whoops). Anyway, all the capacitance values are nearly the same as the rated wax caps on my M3. But the red mylar caps I plan to put in are 100 VDC instead of 200 VDC which is the wax cap rating in the M3. Will this matter? I might guess that they did 200 for headroom on a wax cap but since mylar caps don't age they only needed 100 VDC? I don't know that's just a thought. Also, is there polarity that needs to be taken into account with these caps? Thanks!
    1949 Hammond CV w/1960 Leslie 45 (converted to 145), using H-1 and Leslie 25 amp
    1958 & 63 Hammond M3
    1963 Hammond L100 with 70s Leslie 120
    1979 Rhodes Piano

The signals passing thru those capacitors are in the millivolts range, so even 100VDC caps is serious overkill. No polarity!
    Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Time to go forth and conquer... thank you very much enor!
      1949 Hammond CV w/1960 Leslie 45 (converted to 145), using H-1 and Leslie 25 amp
      1958 & 63 Hammond M3
      1979 Rhodes Piano

Comment

Just finished swapping out the caps. It sounds great! Very crisp and clean, but not overly bright like a lot of the new caps end up doing. Didn't even have to recalibrate the organ. It might be a good idea but I can't tell any volume difference between notes so I'm gonna save myself the hassle! Thanks again for the quick easy answer enor, saved me a bit of time haha.
        1958 & 63 Hammond M3
        1979 Rhodes Piano

Comment

Hooray!
          Hooray for you and your good luck.
          (I'm finding it's remarkably difficult to cheer like that without it sounding sarcastic. I really am glad for you.)

You got a good one. This is always a relief to hear that things are turning out well on a project.

Because remember, the only ears that matter are yours. If you think it sounds great, it does.

Comment

Working...
          X