This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKX 11pin hookup question

Has anyone successfully tapped the rotary output from this keyboard via the 11-pin to 1/4" adapter?
    The user manual mentions that if you use the 11-pin output, the rotary signal is removed from the stock 1/4" output leaving only the stationary sounds there.
    If I build that adapter cable I'm not certain if I need anything more than pins 1 and 4 or if there is another connection needed to tell the SKX that the 11 pin is being used.
    Any tips?

adam

Bump - Any guesses? I guess the only variable would be to ground pin 5?

Comment

Years ago some people made an adapter for their XK-3/c to be able to send the un-Leslied organ out the 11 pin connector modified with a 1/4" male plug. To fool the XK-3/c into thinking it was connected to a Leslie it was necessary to connect a 9V battery to one of the pins. This imitated the 24V the "attached" Leslie sent to that pin. There may be schematics available to list the pins etc. but I don't have one.

This was posted to the Yahoo XK-3 group years ago and it may be more complex than what you are looking for but will probably work.

_11-pin adapter cable for XK-3 and Ventilator_04012010 (1).PDF

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that info! I'm going to run with that and possibly make things even more confusing.

First some basic product info:

"A standard 11-pin Leslie jack is included on the rear panel. Attaching a Leslie here disables the Digital Leslie effect from the output, and allows the Leslie Cabinet to respond to the onboard Leslie Controls. If the attached Leslie is a 1-channel Model, the EXTRAVOICE Division remains at the LINE OUT Jacks".

How does the SKX know how many channels are available via the external speaker? Maybe it doesn't, perhaps it outputs the extravoice channels to both Leslie socket and line out jacks simultaneously. If the Leslie is multi channel we hear those sounds...the keyboard shouldn't care.

I'm assuming Hammond would expect a single channel organ to be connected via 1147 or 1122 kits. Do these have a 24V power supply installed for that sensing circuit? Anyone who uses one - mind taking a quick measurement?

Finally, Hammond sells a custom cable for the XK series, 11-pin to dual 1/4" jacks for the Leslie studio 12 (for Drawbar audio and speed control). This product contradicts that entire PDF build file, as there is no voltage supply here.

Oh dear!

Comment

Originally posted by johnny b3 View Post
          Thanks for that info! I'm going to run with that and possibly make things even more confusing.

First some basic product info:

"A standard 11-pin Leslie jack is included on the rear panel. Attaching a Leslie here disables the Digital Leslie effect from the output, and allows the Leslie Cabinet to respond to the onboard Leslie Controls. If the attached Leslie is a 1-channel Model, the EXTRAVOICE Division remains at the LINE OUT Jacks".

How does the SKX know how many channels are available via the external speaker? Maybe it doesn't, perhaps it outputs the extravoice channels to both Leslie socket and line out jacks simultaneously. If the Leslie is multi channel we hear those sounds...the keyboard shouldn't care.

It doesn't. On my SK-1 the EVs are sent to my 3300 and out its line outs to a pair of amps. The EVs are also still available at the 1/4" outputs of the SK-1.

Originally posted by johnny b3 View Post
          I'm assuming Hammond would expect a single channel organ to be connected via 1147 or 1122 kits. Do these have a 24V power supply installed for that sensing circuit? Anyone who uses one - mind taking a quick measurement?

Finally, Hammond sells a custom cable for the XK series, 11-pin to dual 1/4" jacks for the Leslie studio 12 (for Drawbar audio and speed control). This product contradicts that entire PDF build file, as there is no voltage supply here.

Oh dear!

I don't know anything about that adapter or the Studio 12.

Comment

Working...
          X