This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...No power on a Hammond A143

Im familiar with some of the awesome work that you members of this forum offer for hammond organ enthusiasts. So here is my story. I recently acquired a Hammond A143 from a contractor who is doing work on an abandoned house that has been empty for five years. The owner had passed away and the house remained abandoned until the contractor bought the house at auction and discovered the A143. The contractor told me that he was going to take a sledge hammer to it, until I had contacted him to buy it. The first time i started the organ up, i could see that the start motor wanted to engage, but without oil, there was grinding to it, so i left the organ alone, until I purchased it yesterday.

When i brought the organ, I began wiping down all of the surfaces because sitting in an abandoned house, It accumulated a ton of dust and dirt. In the process, I oiled the tone wheel generator and to my surprise, the generator was able to move without resistance. So i left it alone to sit so the oil can work its way through.

Coming to this morning, I decided to plug up the organ and see if something could happen, and to my surprise, the start and run motors came to life without any hitches, maybe a squeak here and there. It took a little time, but the notes slowly started coming out through the internal speakers. The reverb came though, but the notes were low in volume and dirty. One thing about the keyboard is that the keys are dirt coated and I will have to take them apart and wash the years of grime off of them. But i digress... I had fiddled around with turning the busbars on each manual and the notes got stronger afterwards as I played them..

Now here comes my big mistake. The organ did not come with a leslie, however, I have a leslie 122 for my C3, which is in my garage. so I decided to see if the sound might be stronger coming though the leslie, So i plugged the leslie to the organ amp, and the leslie began to spin,..and spin. I got a few notes out of the organ..However, the leslie went on a fast spin, and POP!! the organ cut right off. Out of nowhere, the organ stopped working. Im worried that I have blown a fuse.. however there was no smoke or funny smell coming from either leslie or organ.

AYE.. could anyone help me to figure out this conundrum..

Can we assume that you used a 5 pin to 6 pin cable and plugged the 122 directly into the 5-pin plug on the internal power amp?

If so, and if your cable is wired correctly, that should operate the Leslie with no problem, but only on Fast speed. That plug is designed for Hammond Tone Cabinets, so it can't switch the Leslie to Slow speed.

Hammond Organs generally didn't have fuses. I can't tell you what went wrong here. Maybe a bad run switch overloaded by having both the organ and Leslie on it -- though it should be able to handle that load.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

I did use the leslie 5-6 pin adapter to connect to the organ. I've used the same adapter for my C3 and is familiar that without a leslie connector kit, it will only run in fast mode. But this is the kicker. When I plugged in the leslie to the A143, the organ had sounded through the leslie for a few minutes. I was getting notes, and then a pop sound. Thats when the organ and leslie stopped working, after the pop sound. I had unplugged the leslie and tried to restart the organ as is, and the start and run switches would not even power up. Im hoping this is a bit clear in my description.. I want to add pics of the organ in a few moments.

P.S. I tried the leslie back with my C3 and it works.

Comment

• David Anderson
        David Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, now the task is to figure out where power is being interrupted. You didn't, by any chance, trip a circuit breaker in your house, did you?

No circuit breaker was harmed in the testing of the organ.. I'm thinking hat it is an issue with the power amp.. there is no issue with any of the power tubes.

Comment

• David Anderson
        David Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        Did the tone generator stop running?

The signal to the external cabinet comes directly from the preamp. It simply passes through the power amp chassis to that output socket. A power amp failure would not disable that signal. I think you need to familiarize yourself with the A100 series before you draw conclusions.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

Jim

Comment

Does anything happen when you turn on the Run switch? Such as the Run motor becoming stiff from being energized and/or the tubes lighting up would indicate that A C is getting through. If not then I agree that the Run switch probably opened up. You need a schematic to trace the A.C. Path to see where it's been interrupted. If you PM me your email address I can get one to you.
        Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Working...
        X