This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a T100 series?

Hello, could someone help out a new member here? Is this a T-series? Thanks!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

No.
    It's a 400 or 500 model.
    Are you able to power it up?
    It probably has a drum scanner, which is prone to rattling.
    The later model T's are trickier to service and modify due to the rhythm circuitry, but there are a few T fanatics on this forum who can help you out.
    You are looking at one of the very last tonewheel organs Hammond ever produced.
    Current:
    1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
    Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
    1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
    2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
    1964 C3
    196x M-102
    197x X5
    197x Leslie 825

Comment

If you grab that T, you MUST change the motor run capacitor IMMEDIATELY!
      It will be 40+ years old, they are prone to exploding and sending lethal PCB oil everywhere.
      Current:
      1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
      1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.

Former:
      1964 C3
      196x M-102
      197x X5
      197x Leslie 825

Comment

That's a T500 series. That is THE last series of tonewheel Hammonds, though some A B C models were put together using stock from the 'parts bin' after their production had ended. Amongst the 'T Club' it's often regarded as the best of the T series. Issues can be a noisy 'loo roll' type vibrato scanner and cracks or poor connections through the auto-accompaniment board. As a home organ (as opposed to one that's going to be modded into something different) the Rhythm III unit is superior to the T400's Rhythm II, and the split vibrato can be a bonus.

They can be modified using Carsten Meyer's mods, but as Papus says, the circuitry has changed here and there and the mods may have to be modified! As for the run cap, changing it is a good precaution, and one that's not expensive or difficult. but there are plenty out there with caps that have lots of life left. Age is one factor, sure, but it seems that usage and local climate also have a bearing. I've not come across a T500 in the UK with a run cap that's gone bang.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Even if the run cap doesn't go bang, it can also fail in a more dangerous way - developing a short between one of its poles and its (conductive) housing. That makes all metal parts of the organ live with mains voltage.

Really - the run caps are at least 45 years old in these. Just change them, it's dead simple, dead cheap and might stop you from electrocution.
          Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Oh, thanks for heading me the right direction! I need to collect some Hammond parts, for another Hammond project, from another forum member who is about 6 hours away(two US states away)
            This Hammond organ is listed on Craigslist(with no usable background information, i.e. model number, age, condition) for free in that state. Because of this, I unfortunately can't answer some of the above questions. I am thinking of trying to collect it on that trip.
            I looked up that info on the wiki site(link included for any other newbies who find this post) :
            http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/T-500

You(and the wiki) mention some helpful modifications...but, the Carsten Meyer modifications page/link seems to be gone/dead/redirected from that Hammondwiki site :(

Comment

Grab a bargain (free T500 woo hoo!) and do Carsten's mods!!!!!
            The T-Series are very capable of spitting, growling and breathing fire equal to any console. Mine is oozing key click and percussive bite.
            Also think about doing the lower manual bass foldback mod to gain an extra octave down.... easy to do if you're patient with a soldering iron.

Just be careful when dismantling or removing the auto-accompaniment board, it is prone to falling down and smashing the boards below it.
            Forum members can advise on how to deal with that particular challenge.
            Current:

Former:
            1964 C3
            196x M-102
            197x X5
            197x Leslie 825

Comment

Here's my heavily modified T202 with internal Leslie.
              I have a 10-band EQ in the effects loop for added key-click sparkle plus a Korg A5 guitar processor for noise gate and overdrive.
              Warning: for novelty purposes only. I am not a keyboard player!

01 Hammond T202 Internal Leslie Test EDIT 1 320kbps.mp3
              Current:

Former:
              1964 C3
              196x M-102
              197x X5
              197x Leslie 825

Comment

• drg
                drg commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! That T-202 rawks(rocks). I love that distortion/overdrive whatever thing that kicks in around 1:00 into the audio file.

• Papus
                Papus commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!
                The overdrive is from the Korg A5 guitar multieffects processor
            Working...
            X