Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porta B (L100P) blows fuses

Hi everyone,

I have a porta B (L100P depending on the country it was made) that just stopped working a week ago while i was recording it.

I started making an increasing low frequency until it was at the volume of the notes i was playing. So i turned it off, let it cool off a little and then when i tried to start it again, i just vlew the fuses in my studio... two times.

Does anyone know what i can do to troubleshoot this? I was recording it and it just stopped right in the middle and it seems to be absolutely impossible to find one in a studio over here in France... Not even a L100, even less with a line out (i have made the line out under the swell pedal mod).

If the power supply section has never been serviced, I would start there replacing the electrolytic capacitors.
    Hammond BC (Factory 50 Hz) With TrekII Reverb, Perc and Preamp
    Leslie 147
    MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2 T7E
    MK1 Korg CX3/Neo Ventilator
    Yamaha KX88/Roland D550/Kurzweil K2000R/Korg M1R/Korg X3R

Comment

Bonsoir,

Je résume : Le machin a produit une fréquence de plus en plus basse, puis le fusible à fumé.

Cela ressemble au condensateur de démarrage du moteur qui a rendu l'âme. Comme celui qui est sur la photo jointe. C'est assez fréquent.
      Ca gonfle. Parfois il y a fumée blanche mais ça fait pas conclave car c'est très toxique.

Il me semble que c'est un condensateur au PCB (pyralène) 1µ25 / 630V à ne pas remplacer par n'importe quoi.

JP

Comment

Originally posted by Jyvoipabo View Post
        Bonsoir,

Je résume : Le machin a produit une fréquence de plus en plus basse, puis le fusible à fumé.

Cela ressemble au condensateur de démarrage du moteur qui a rendu l'âme. Comme celui qui est sur la photo jointe. C'est assez fréquent.
        Ca gonfle. Parfois il y a fumée blanche mais ça fait pas conclave car c'est très toxique.

Il me semble que c'est un condensateur au PCB (pyralène) 1µ25 / 630V à ne pas remplacer par n'importe quoi.

JP
        Merci beaucoup! Je vais tenter ça, est-ce que tu pourrais me dire déjà ou en trouver un, et surtout, à quel endroit il se situe dans la machine pour ne pas tout désosser pour rien
        Est-ce que j'ai moyen sans mettre l'orgue sous tension de tester si c'est bien lui qui est mort par exemple avec un ohm mètre?

PS: je ne reçois pas de notification de réponse... du coup je n'avais pas vu ta réponse...

Comment

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
          If the power supply section has never been serviced, I would start there replacing the electrolytic capacitors.
          That might be a good idea, but i've heard that bad capacitors in there usually change the overall pitch of the organ, but i haven't see anything related to these that blows the fuses when you try to start it.
          #Jyvoipabo 's answer makes sense though, as i have seen multiple threads talking about this run capacitor giving similar problems.
          Now i just need to find a replacement one.

Comment

The capacitors 1.25μF 630V are very difficult to find.
            On the other hand we find everywhere 2.5μF 450V
            So called permanent motor starting capacitor.
            Just buy 2 and wire it in series with a paralell resistance of 220k / 2W on one of them for the discharge purpose.

JP

As in the attached pic, you can run a ground wire from the motor to the TW frame. This can reduce electrostatic noise.
            And not shown a plastic screen for safety.

Comment

Ok, thanks, it does seem easy enough! From your picture, i'm guessing the original cap is in the top compartiment. I'll check that tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by thysm00 View Post

That might be a good idea, but i've heard that bad capacitors in there usually change the overall pitch of the organ, but i haven't see anything related to these that blows the fuses when you try to start it.
                The power supply capacitors in the amplifier have nothing whatsoever to do with the pitch of the organ.
                Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
                Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
                Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
                Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Celui la marcherais probablement comme il faut - https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Illinois-Capacitor-CDE/125MABA03KHS

Comment

Originally posted by thysm00 View Post

#Jyvoipabo 's answer makes sense though, as i have seen multiple threads talking about this run capacitor giving similar problems.
                    Now i just need to find a replacement one.
                    Well, that did the trick!!!! I just removed the old one, put those two new 2.5uF capacitors in series with a 220k resistor in parallel on one of them as you advised and it just started spinning like before I can't believe how cheap (around 10€) and easy that was! Now i just need to find out what to do with these 9 remaining 220k resistors

Thanks a lot! I can get back to recording it!

Comment

Working...
                    X