Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammond M3: is it OK to clean up the amp - kind of dirty and rusty, but it would appear all original...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond M3: is it OK to clean up the amp - kind of dirty and rusty, but it would appear all original...

Hi, </p>

The amp on my M3 seems to be all original; all solder joints look old, as do the wires and tubes too. It plays and sounds great, but the 'engineer in me' would like to pull that baby out and clean it up; oil-rag the rust off, clean out the dust, re-touch the solder joints etc.</p>

While that sounds fun, the pragmatist in me thinks 'why fix it, if it ain't broken?'. </p>

All Hammonds are old - is it useful or helpful to keep the amp clean? If so, is there a prescribed method of what Hammond organ amps 'need' as far as fixing? (I DID get some Hammond oil, and my M3 REALLY like that - I don't think there was any oil in it at all) .</p>

Hints, comments of why, how, and when to clean etc would be very much appreciated.</p>

Malcolm</p>

Re: Hammond M3: is it OK to clean up the amp - kind of dirty and rusty, but it would appear all original...

CRC226 available at Home Depot in the Electrical department helps with the rust. Use with fine steel wool and of course clean the steel woll shards off well before reinstalling.

Comment

Re: Hammond M3: is it OK to clean up the amp - kind of dirty and rusty, but it would appear all original...

to the engineer:</p>

Why don't you just overhaul the amp? while you're in there replace all the capacitors and clean the tube sockets and replace the power cord.
      </p>

but. easier said then done.
      </p>

to the pragmatist:

If it works...why go in there and find yourself a headache? If you are hearing a lot of hum then it may be time to replace the capacitors. If you can't hear anything wrong at this point and it works...go find something else to break
      </p>

Comment

Hi,</p>

Thanks for your fun reply. Great input both pro and con (which is my own mind: should I or shouldn't I?). I suspect that I should probably actually learn to play my new fav M3 - then worry about cleaning the rust off. </p>

Others gave comments regarding cleaning supplies that I could use w/o pulling the amp out etc - as long as I can keep my cats out of the back of it - the cleaning can be put off for a while (I'm bidding on a back for the M3 - one other organ forum person is selling one!).</p>

Thanks!</p>

Malcolm
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="Malcolm MacNiven"]

Thanks for your fun reply. Great input both pro and con (which is my own mind: should I or shouldn't I?). I suspect that I should probably actually learn to play my new fav M3 - then worry about cleaning the rust off. </p>

[/quote]</p>

If you're an engineer, overhauling the amp can almost be as much fun as playing your M3
          </p>

Comment

Working...
          X