This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-102 effects loop

I decided I'm just going to buy the boss rt-20 instead of trying to find a leslie. Is there any way toeasily install an effects loop on this model?
    Hammonds and Leslies:
    Mid 60's Hammond A-101
    Leslie 147

Guitar stuff:
    Gibson SG w/ Phat Cat single coil in neck and '57 classic in bridge
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    1972 Fender Super Reverb
    Marshall JTM45 2x12

Re: M-102 effects loop

Hi,</p>

If you learn about an effects loop please pass the word on. I just got service manuals for the M-series - thinking the same thing. If I figure it out, I'll post too.</p>

Regarding an RT-20 ... they are GREAT w/ am M - mine is an M3. There was a post about not having money for a Leslie ... one of the people suggested a RT-20. He also gave GREAT input that using a DI box from the speakers of the M into the DI and then into the RT-20 would help.</p>

Well not only HELP but, a good DI box with good attenuation is REQUIRED. On my M3, I had to push BOTH -20db buttons on the DI to keep from overdriving the RT-20 inputs. </p>

I was able to find a RT-20 and DI box on Ebay for cheap. ]</p>

To use this setup, take and old guitar chord, and chop off its one end and solder clip leads onto it. Clip the ground of the guitar cable you made onto the black wire on the speaker of your M. The other clip onto the green wire on your speaker. Plug that into the direct box. Take the output of the direct box into the RT-20 (for me I had to push both -20db buttons!); then the RT-20 into a stereo amp or PA - taking it off in mono is a total waste of time and money: don't bother if you don't take the output into a stereo device.</p>

Another thing I tried was use a 8ohm Hot-Plate (great for all guitar, bass etc applications!!! has line out too) at the back end of the Hammond - took the line out of the Hot-Plate into the RT-20 ... etc.</p>

Oddly, the Hot-Plate failed to meet my expectations in this hookup? I'll have to find an amp friend to tell me 'why' - but it just didn't work; sounded muddy and terrible. Great for guitars: bad for Hammonds ?</p>

But if you try a good DI box into your RT-20, you'll be very happy. The RT-20 has GREAT distortion emulation (HUSH HUSH etc ...).</p>

That said, I just posted another post about how I love my M3 clean. :-)</p>

To take a note from Kevin Ayers; original Soft Machine (one of his solo albums) 'what ever she brings, we sing' - so enjoy and have fun.</p>

Malcolm
    </p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks! this will probably solve my problem, but then the thing is, how to i stop the sound from coming out of the internal speakers?
      Hammonds and Leslies:
      Mid 60's Hammond A-101
      Leslie 147

Guitar stuff:
      Gibson SG w/ Phat Cat single coil in neck and '57 classic in bridge
      Fender American Standard Stratocaster
      1972 Fender Super Reverb
      Marshall JTM45 2x12

Comment

Under the manual on the right you'll find a mono headphone jack which will shut off the speakers when you put a 1/4" plug in it. </p>

Here's what I do. I just run out of there through my old Digitech GSP7 (a rack mounted guitar effects processor) into the solid state channels on 2 amps. To set a safe input level I pull out all the drawbars, put the pedal to the floor, and play the loudest chord I can think of.
        </p>

Comment

xDave,</P>

See my post in the thread about M102 output jack. Good advice on setting a level however.</P>

Best,</P>

H101</P>

Comment

Oops, sorry[:$] They apparently didn't come with one, mine just happens to have one.

Comment

Been a while since this was an active topic, but I am curious to know whether you were ever successful with getting an effects loop rigged in your spinet? </p>

I've given up on a finding a leslie for the time being and am ready to rig a Behringer rotary effect in line between the pre-amp and amp in my M101.... if it is possible.</p>

Second best choice would be the silence the internal speakers and use it inline with an outboard amp. </p>

So knowing what you ended up with would be interesting &amp; useful in my quest.
              </p>

Comment

Hello.</p>

</p>

Thought I would chime in here. I ended up buying and installing an effects loop from Trek II in my M-103. It's a quality unit if a little pricey for what it is. The only downside to it is that you can only use it on either the upper or the lower manual. Not both. This could be an advantage depending on what you are wanting to do. You can use one manual for effects and the other for dry sounds for instance. I installed it on my upper manual since I wanted to have percussion with the effects. It works great though and I am now able to use stereo effects like my H&amp;K Rotosphere along with an external amp and the Hammonds internal amp. You gotta try a delay too. It's great fun.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Interesting. Are you referring to this?</p>

http://www.tonewheelgeneral.com/build_page.php?item_no=ELB-1A</p>

</p>

How tough is it to wire into a M100 series? For example, I was able to repair a broken connection to one of my tonewheels, but when it came to troubleshooting the non-vibrato channel of the amp, even with the great advice of people here, I had to ask a friend with more electrical smarts than I to assist me.
                  </p>

Comment

Nathan, That's the one. The product comes with some decent instructions but I have to admit that I had my electrical engineer buddy come over to help me make the installation. I wouldn't say it was difficult but I might have been cursing for a while if not for his help. I have only done minimal soldering in the past though. I hope that helps. What I remember is that the effects loop connects to the matching transformer and then to the amp. That may be oversimplifying it. If you can wait a day or so I might be able to scan the directions and email them to ya. Let me know.</p>

Randy </p>

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Did you need to remove the amp to get to where it connects, or was it one of the exposed connections?</p>

I have done one or two soldering jobs on areas that were easy to get to. But if it's inside the amp, that's a little more dicey for me.</p>

I'll PM you my email address, if you don't mind sharing the instructions.
                      </p>

Comment

If I recall correctly we did have to take the cover off the amp to reach one contact point but I don't think it was in a potentially dangerous position. I'll try to get the instructions scanned for you. It might be a day or so before I can get that to you. 

Comment

Thanks for the offer! Actually, this morning Trek sent me the two page PDF file with the instructions. So I'm good.</p>

Turns out it does require popping open the amp, and perhaps drilling a hole in the housing, to run some wires. And there are NO photos or diagrams in the instructions.... so one has to rely on the names being the same as in the Hammond service manual (they seem to be). And the instructions are mostly NOT about the M100 series (though they do have a slightly different kit, and slightly different instructions, for the M100 series).</p>

My intention was to get a rotary speaker simulator (like the Behringer one) and put that in the effects loop. I don't have the space or the cash for a Leslie, so this seems like good $140 (kit plus effects box) solution. </p>

I still think it does, but it will probably take me a few months to work up the courage![H]
                          </p>

Comment

That's kind of the same reason I did the effects loop. I bought a Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere to put in the loop. I find that it sounds better with a second amp though to handle the second (stereo) channel. As far as drilling into the amp goes, I know we didn't have to do that. Mine's an M-103 and there was already a hole to thread the wires through so I doubt you'll have to do any drilling. Good Luck!!

Comment

Ordered the kit from Tonewheelgeneralhospital. There is a slightly different kit for the M100 series than the standard effects loop they sell, so it's a special order item (still the same price, nicely discounted off the minimum advertised price) and I suppose it'll be while before it arrives. </p>

Now to shop for a good rotary speaker effect.</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                              X