This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-162 won't start

Hi, I was so lucky to recently get a hold of a Hammond M-162. It has been standing outside, and might have some water damage. I tried to start it up, the start motor ran for a little while, not sounding very healthy, when I hit the run switch the whole thing slowed down and no sign of run motor starting. Now, when I try to flip the start switch, nothing happens. I have tried to find some information on the forums, and have started to give it hammond oil.
    I'm not very used to working with electronics, so any help appreciated.
    I filmed the start up process. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hAEoJfXVWzHXXdpB9
    Here are some more photos:
    Update. It's wrong to say that nothing happens when I flip the start switch. Nothing happens in the organ, but it blows the fuse on the electrical circuit it is connected to,
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Babadofar; 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM.

The start issue sounds to me like the standard Bendix gear issue you can search on this site. Common problem.

The fuse blowing is much more concerning, and that in combination with your inexperience with electronics is probably why no one has responded to this thread yet. It's very hard to help someone with an issue like that who's starting from scratch.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

On my C2 I got the same problem, genny out, everything works fine, Starter is good, every part moves well, but it will not engage soon, sometimes not. By hand it slips in fine. and there is no way to move it a bit by loosing the screws, no idea
      C2 1953, as old as I am and 760 rebuilt, Custom M3 1955, custom HX3, Hohner OAB, Ventilator, Service for friends on A100, B3, BV, M100 and some Leslies

Comment

You need to have a tech inspect, and repair the amplifier, and reverb amplifier. On these organs, if the power cable is original, there is a 99% it is no longer safe to use and needs to be replaced. Even if there is no crack on the exterior, interior cracks and degradation of the insulation will cause a short.

You mention "it blows the fuse on the electrical circuit it is connected to,". I'm not certain if you refer to the circuit breaker of the house/building you're in, or if you are referring to a fuse that is built in to the organ. In the photo, I see a light-colored power cable attached to the amp (probably not original, but ok..) as well as a rectangular housing attached to it. Is this some type of GFCI or in-line fuse box? Is that what you are referring to?
        Especially for an amp that's been exposed to the elements, don't even think of attempting to power it on until it's had a thorough going through by a qualified technician who can check every component, check the power transformers for current leakage, check for shorts in the tubes, and check for shorts in the wiring, tube sockets, etc.

I see the rectifier tube is missing, but I have also seen an organ like this where someone soldered diodes to the underside of that tube socket as a replacement to the rectifier tube. You need to have someone qualified look under that amp.

Comment

Update: Dear heavens, I watched the video. That thing is soaking wet, (water/rain droplets inside and out) and you're trying to start it while it's wet. I hope by now you've dried it off.

Comment

• David Anderson
            David Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. This is a point at which you find a qualified technician to help you rather than risking electrocuting yourself or causing a fire.

Thanks for all your input! I'm trying to find a technician to look at it.

Comment

It is wise to not operate wet electrical equipment.
            Current:
            1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
            Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
            1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
            2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
            1964 C3
            196x M-102
            197x X5
            197x Leslie 825

Comment

Why is my response gone?

Comment

• Admin
                Admin commented
                Editing a comment
                It appears to have been removed by a Moderator after several complaints from members that it was insulting and not helpful.
            Working...
            X