This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Box Cap Values

Ugh...I have to recap a silver, wooden line box from a C3. Cap values are .004uf and I'm wondering if anyone's done this and what they ended up choosing for the value and type of capacitor...?
    Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

I used .0022 in parallel with .0018, just common mylar film variety
    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

You can sometimes find film caps in odd values at some of the surplus parts houses. I think I found some actual 0.004uF caps at Tedss Electronics once when I had to recap one of these. The dielectric type is not that critical here.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Hello,

Because most of the capacitors value are are +/-10% you can buy 3.9nF capacitors.
        ... a lot and make a sort if you are maniac...

else, David have 4nF here : https://www.justradios.com

JP

Comment

Thanx everyone, very much!
          Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Jyvoipabo View Post
            Hello,

Because most of the capacitors value are are +/-10% you can buy 3.9nF capacitors.
            ... a lot and make a sort if you are maniac...

else, David have 4nF here : https://www.justradios.com

JP
            $0.43 for the .004 seems pretty reasonable for small quantities and less hassle than paralleling or grading 8)
            Tom in Tulsa

Comment

I wonder why the big difference between the silver box component values and open frame values

Comment

Originally posted by bnelson218 View Post
                I wonder why the big difference between the silver box component values and open frame values
                Hammond was trying to simplify the line box circuit and reduce its physical size, so it's not surprising that they changed the component values while attempting to keep the sound generally the same. Look at the circuits. The early line boxes are considerably more complex and have higher parts counts.

Also, standard parts values were in a state of flux from the mid-1940s into the early 1950s.
                I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Suppose someone replaced the .004 caps with .006 or .002 caps.Would there be an audible difference? We`re talking about a change of two thousandths.

Comment

I would think so 8) Going up or down by .002 is a 50% change. The capacitors working with the coils produce an intended amount of phase shift. Too small or too large would cause the vibrato to become more shallow or deeper than normal. Another thing that may or may not be noticeable by ear is that because the delay line has multiple stages, if the caps are off, the effect accumulates across the delay line, so .0039 instead of .004 could possibly make an audible, although small, difference. The easiest thing is to just use the right ones since supply and cost are not issues.
                    Tom in Tulsa

Comment

• David Anderson
                      David Anderson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would bet you a lot of money that .0039uF instead of .004uF would be completely inaudible in a blind test. That's well within the tolerances of most capacitor values.
                  Working...
                  X