X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a H100 series - parts list needed

Hi folks

I've today acquired a one owner H112. Nice. With 122rv too

It hums loudly, unplayable. I'm guessing electrolytic capacitors. Also vibrato drops volume by 50% when turned on. Brush cymbal makes white noise even when off...

So some work needed.

I'd really appreciate any advice and any parts lists for Mouser etc. Hard to identify exactly what to change routinely.

Any ideas and recommend?

Many thanks folks!

Dan (UK)

Try un-plugging and re-plugging all the connectors you can find, tubes too, there are a bunch! Use Deoxit if you have some. Gunky connections can cause all manner of crazy symptoms 8)
    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

OK, first thing is to oil it, that's the TWG, scanner and motor. That oil can be working its way in while you do the rest. Next, change the motor capacitor. Then all the electrolytic caps in the power supply. If you read back through the many threads about H's, you'll find that some owners have changed every electrolytic in the organ - that's over 70 of them.

Busbar lube and clean, drawbars lube and clean. Valve sockets need to be checked and cleaned. I haven't come across De-Oxit D5 in the UK but there are alternatives. If you're spraying anything plastic you obviously need to ensure that the product is plastic safe.

Cymbal and brush - that white noise is leaking somehow, you'd need the schematics to diagnose this and find the faulty part(s) but it's probably going to be simple.

Vibrato dropping volume - vibrato recovery amp issues? Again, read through the schematics and troubleshoot accordingly.

You'll already be aware that the H is not the most reliable of the TWG Hammonds, serial numbers above 15000 are the better ones. So there will be a fair bit to do, but the big upside is that a good H is a great organ.

Bottom line: Get schematics and oil first and start working from there.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Hi folks

I've bought some caps for the PSU....

And a couple of bias resistors

I'd be so grateful for any information or anecdotes on H organs ....

In anticipation!

D

Comment

• Papus
          Papus commented
          Editing a comment
          Change the motor run cap immediately.

It is filled with carcinogenic PCB oil and is liable to explode.

Replacement caps can be sourced from ceiling fan components suppliers, shouldn't cost more than a few pounds.

Originally posted by andyg View Post
        OK, first thing is to oil it, that's the TWG, scanner and motor. That oil can be working its way in while you do the rest. Next, change the motor capacitor. Then all the electrolytic caps in the power supply. If you read back through the many threads about H's, you'll find that some owners have changed every electrolytic in the organ - that's over 70 of them.

Busbar lube and clean, drawbars lube and clean. Valve sockets need to be checked and cleaned. I haven't come across De-Oxit D5 in the UK but there are alternatives. If you're spraying anything plastic you obviously need to ensure that the product is plastic safe.

Cymbal and brush - that white noise is leaking somehow, you'd need the schematics to diagnose this and find the faulty part(s) but it's probably going to be simple.

Vibrato dropping volume - vibrato recovery amp issues? Again, read through the schematics and troubleshoot accordingly.

You'll already be aware that the H is not the most reliable of the TWG Hammonds, serial numbers above 15000 are the better ones. So there will be a fair bit to do, but the big upside is that a good H is a great organ.

Bottom line: Get schematics and oil first and start working from there.
        All good advice...the only thing I would say is that the bussbar clean is not something I would suggest attempting to do unless absolutely necessary...in the case of missing tones, for example. Anyone who has attempted to gain access to the bussbars on an H will understand; this is something I would not even attempt anymore and I have done it.
        I sent Daniel a PM...FYI, other causes of hum in the H was the fluorescent light in the music rack of early models. They later changed to incandescent because the ballast caused hum.
        Also if any of the metal covers over the PC boards are missing, there will be hum. The covers act as a Faraday shield.
        If someone added a grounding plug and wired it incorrectly, there will be hum.
        I would also disconnect the Leslie to see if that is a source.

Other than all those suggestions, it will take someone with electronics knowledge and a schematic to trace down the problem.
        Bob
        In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
        In reality, there is.
        '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
        H-324/Series 10 TC
        '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
        Look at some of my rescues:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

i also own an h-100 that i am restoring , my problem is a bit different , i had to remove all of the drawbars because they were full of gunk and had lots of scratching sounds and some had no contact .
          the other problem i have is the keys ! a lot of them had cracks in them and some were just snapped off , so i had to replace or repair some of them , and the pre-set keys has another issue , the older version of hammond pre -set keys had metal lips underneath for them to engage and set , mine has some sort of plastic type lips which most of them have missing or chipped off tips .
          i would like to know if pre set keys from another older hammond with metal lips can be installed in their place .

Comment

Also note that early H series were produced with a melamine key with a different profile. The standard kind have a front that tapers away from you at a 45 degree angle. The melamine type have almost no key front, and the taper is very slight away from you. These were problematic and were prone to warp and crack. Production was not long, and I think I have seen these keys on early X-66 as well, if my memory has not failed me from 55 years ago. Ebay has people parting out H series rather frequently you should be able to find some or all to replace with some patience.
            Larry K
            Princeton, IL

Hammond BV+DR-20, Mathushek Square piano from 1934
            Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

hi ! thanks for the tip , what about the pre set keys! as i mentioned , mine have a plastic type material as lips underneath for them to set and engage , the tips have chips and cracks , can any other hammond pre set keys with the metal lips underneath be used to replace the ones that i have .

Comment

Keys from any of the consoles are not interchangeable with your H.
                All the diving board keys used the plastic tab in the presets.
                This is the 2 types of keys used in the H. Both are made from the same thermoplastic material, and is not very strong. Breakage of these keys is very common.
                I have many sets of diving board keys, including presets, I would be happy to let you have as many as you want, just pay postage. I have never sent packages to Canada, I need to look at what it may entail. PM me with address details if you are interested, and I will look into it.

In case you have not seen them, there are some videos of the H here
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nxkwR7CiI
                That is part 1 of 4

Let me know about the keys, as I am on the process of cleaning out the shop...I am out of room and I am making routine trips to the dump.

Bob
                Attached Files
                In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
                In reality, there is.
                '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
                H-324/Series 10 TC
                '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
                Look at some of my rescues:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Comment

Hello folks

Well, changed the power supply caps today and the three main electrolytic on the amp chassis

Much better. Still noisy though....amp noise from harp boards, cymbal/white noise leaking when it's volume up, and a substantial volume drop upon engaging any vibrato

Otherwise, looking healthier

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance one and all!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X