No announcement yet.

Hammond H100 noises - white noise at switch on and shooting noises at odd times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond H100 noises - white noise at switch on and shooting noises at odd times

Hi folks

Anyone worked on an H recently?

I have one here which has loud white noise in one amp channel for about a minute at switch on.

Also makes odd shooting noises sometimes ...

Noise floor is quite high too, with pedal wide open it's loud.

Any ideas?

It has all new electrolytic capacitors, transistors and valves

D

yes i have one and its driving me nuts ! actually i also have an h-382 which is also driving me nuts . i just can't get them to work properly , hum and low volume and a few other issues

Comment

Do your models have fluorescent music lamps? Common source of hum, hiss, and hash. If so, see if turning it off helps.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

the hum is the least of my problems ! little or no volume , regardless of how much the foot volume pedal is pressed . and none of the stops have any effect when engaged . all of the keys respond and the preset tabs respond but all at very low volume .

Comment

I've already eliminated the fluorescent light.

I've also adapted the Harp switch so that it kills the whole circuit when off, which reduces it a lot

However, there is still lots of noise, and also heavy noise in channel B at switch on, regardless of swell position

Comment

So... We are on lock down and there's time for more organ tech work.

H100 sti as above - heavy white noise from one of the internal speakers at warm up for about 10 seconds. Happens even if switched to Echo Only. So it's in the amp I guess.

Also, still trying to lower overall noise. It's had new parts, but I am aiming to get it right down. I'm not afraid of major adaptations if need be. Or I'll sell it.

It plays well otherwise.

The other task is the secure the keys. They all rock from side to side as if rotating round their fixing screw. Hard to fix?

I'm wondering about losing the percussion and brush settings and making proper perc instead... And any other fun mods.

Let me know your ideas friends... Thanks in advance

Dan (uk)

Comment

If you don't have expression pedal control have you checked the bulb in the pedal?
              Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Hash, Hiss, and Hum: (sounds like a Karnak question) I had similar problems with my 382 and replaced all the 1.0uf/100v caps on the solid state boards with amazing results as far as hiss and hum reduction.

Broken Keys: I had numerous sharp keys that were broken on the upper manual plus several on the lower. A particular production run of H-xxx organs had ****** sharp keys that became brittle over time and cracked where they secure to their channel. Luckily, I also had an X77 with good keys that was being parted out so I just changed pout all the sharp keys on both manuals.

Percussion: Good luck. Sorry, but the wiring of the percussion tabs is so difficult to trace and even worse to change that I've given up trying to make sense out of it. It's just a miserable, tight and difficult area of the tab rail to reach. What kind of problems are you having with the percussion section?

Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

I've moved onto another H112!

Sold the first one. It was very original, and I basically had it running fine

This one has old square scanners, now working, and I've fitted a replacement psu.

Everything basically works, but it makes random noises and hums a bit. So, capacitors all round, and some modern transistors

I did wonder about replacing the solid state preamps but it looks hard work...

This looks like a good one... Although one side of case is broken off about 8" in.

Comment

If your H Series has a Zener diode voltage regulator in the transistor Preamplifier section, these often became noisy due to internal leakage causing hiss and loud random ‘cracking’ and ‘crash’ sounds. Customers sometimes described it as ‘thunder’. I you have an analog voltmeter, or better, an oscilloscope, monitor the voltage across the zener diode, and see if the voltage kicks correspond with these sounds.

Comment

Thanks for advice ref zener... Will check

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel777 View Post
                        I did wonder about replacing the solid state preamps but it looks hard work...
                        The solid-state preamps are easy to service. Doing so made a huge difference in the sound of my H382. Change the capacitors first; the originals are shot. The transistors on mine were fine. You will need a tube tester eventually with this organ. The 7199 tubes in the main amp are ridiculously overpriced, when you can find them. I forge the number, but there is a substitute tube for the 7199 that works with a plug-in socket adapter. Also, the tube sockets themselves may need to have the pin contacts tightened a bit from underneath. Loose tubes will cause thunderous crashes.

Comment

I've been working through all the components, and changed about 100 so far...

Certainly those decoupling caps make a big difference. Did all the transistors... Used 2sc2001 and 2sd667 for most of them.

Still to much hum, but so much better.

I'm struggling to get all the vibrato options to valve for level. Non vibrato is at one level, then if I adjust the pot for vibrato to be similar , celeste is far too loud and bassy... Any ideas anyone ?

Sell pedal has delayed operation ... New ldr? Anyone know what fits and works?

I do have a spare expression pedal from a f3000 i was thinking of trying.

Comment

So...

Going to do some more investigation

Can't find any source of dual LDR for the swell pedal. Any ideas? Part equivalent?

Going to check and change some resistors on preamps to try and even out level and frequency response...

Wish I could get the noise level down a little more...

And nearly finished the three channel passive leslie. Photos soon.

Any other wisdom ref. Noises, preamp. Mods etc+? Or other experience?

Comment

Hi folks

Anyone else got H100 models, and like to share any of their repairs or modifications?

I guess IndianaJo is no more... Hope I'm wrong.

Who else is playing an H and enjoying it now?? I have an a100 too, and clones, but love the H. In fact, I'm going to get yet another, so I will probably sell my latest refurbed one (about 120 new components soldered in with love!)

I'm in the UK, Sussex

Comment

Working...
                              X