Leslie purchase w/Hammond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leslie purchase w/Hammond

It`s 1958,you just bought a brand new B3,and want a Leslie.Where would you get it,since Hammond forbade his dealers from selling them?I remember Hammond dealerships,never saw a Leslie store.

I definitely remember being at the store when we bought our new M3, there were discussions about options, mainly reverb and Leslie speakers. I also remember peering into the cabinet watching the horn spin. This was in Akron Ohio. Our teacher had a studio in her house equipped with a B3, M3 and Leslies. I think she had an arrangement with the dealer and also a deal with my parents to pimp us out at the state fairs. My brother and I had to wear red blazers and show fairgoers how easy it was to play a Hammond 8)
    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

I thought it was common for Hammond stores to run a front company a few doors down selling Leslies, zo you simply buy your Leslie from a "different" company
      Current:
      1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
      Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
      1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
      2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
      1964 C3
      196x M-102
      197x X5
      197x Leslie 825

Comment

Old enough to be breathing in 1958, but not old enough to buy/sell, I don't have an answer for the time machine problem.

While I've heard of the Leslie Embargo, never actually saw it. Dealerships had apparently told Hammond to go pound sand -- or it was simply unenforceable -- because getting a Leslie was never a problem. And I started lessons at age 5. Whatever exclusions applied may not have lasted long.

Comment

Working at Lyon & Healy in the '60s and '70s, the Chicago Hammond dealer, Leslie speakers were always displayed at all 14 stores. I remember the Loop store had a switching console on a stand that enabled different Leslie models to play from one organ.
          Larry K
          Princeton, IL

Hammond BV+DR-20, Mathushek Square piano from 1934
          Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

Well I guess that`s another myth debunked.

Comment

We had an excellent music store in our little town of 13,000 back in the 60s. They sold Vox, Rickenbacker, Gibson, Hofner, Sunn and a few others. A friend of mine played a Farfisa Combo Compact and wanted a Leslie. He asked them if they could get one, they said they'd call Leslie and see if they would sell them one. They said sure...we'll sell wholesale to any established music store. Maybe that wasn't always the case but it was at that time. The music store still exists under the same name (and same owner) but obviously the stuff it sells today isn't as cool as the stuff back then.

Comment

I asked Sal one time if the mob was involved in any the music stores and what they were allowed to sell. I heard that about North Philly years ago.

Comment

The Hammond factory as pictured was a former warehouse belonging to Al Capone. Does that count? Probably not.
                  Larry K
                  Princeton, IL

Hammond BV+DR-20, Mathushek Square piano from 1934
                  Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

• tiredoldgeezer
                    tiredoldgeezer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Only if there's a secret vault.
                    Then we know who to call: Geraldo!

Yeah, I heard that too. Probably true. And........that building has a small part of it ,that is under a different name than Hammond but they re build, and sell Leslie's and Hammonds but not mfg. there.

Comment

Working...
                  X