X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Leslie 147 and will need help to hook it to the organ

Hi guys,</p>

A Leslie 147 is on its way!</p>

<font face="Arial" size="2">I also bought a vintage (2 halfmoon switches as well) Hammond/Leslie install kit #26-1 and a Leslie cable (6 pin) from Tonewheel Hospital.
    </font></p>

I plan to connect it to my Hammond M111.</p>

The kit comes with a diagram but I'm not tech savvy (don't know how to solder) and don't want to make mistakes on this plus I read somewhere that instead of soldering I can use wire nuts or something like that.</p>

Please guys, I'll need some help on this.</p>

Thank you very much.
    </p>

Re: Just bought a Leslie 147 and will need help to hook it to the organ

You'll need to learn how to solder to do a real good job.</P>

You haven't got the right kit, really. The 26-1 will only handle the signal from the main speaker, and you'll lose the reverb (which goes through its own amp and speaker) when you switch over to the leslie. I believe you can mix the main and reverb signals before sending them to the leslie but I can't remember how off the top of my head.</P>

You have a 5-pin plug and wires coming from the kit. Advices on a standard hook-up is as follows. YOU must make doubly sure that it applies in your case. If you're not tech savvy and are in doubt, get a tech to do the job.</P>

Blue and Grey. Need to go to switched AC mains in the organ, so the leslie turns on and off with the power switch. These connections should be soldered, IMHO.</P>

Black. Ground - usually goes to ground terminal on a speaker.</P>

Then, interrupt thesignal wire from the amp (usually green colour). The red wire from the kit goes to the amp side of the cut and the green wire from the kit to the speaker side of the kit. These can be connected with wire nuts.</P>

That's it, assuming that the colours in your kit are 'standard'.</P>

Someone else may chip in with the information re the reverb mixing.</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Hey Andy: so I bought the wrong kit? What a bummer.

Comment

How you connect it will depend on if your 147 amp has a load switch or not if you want MEE switching. Unless you where using a 2 channel leslie like the 251, MEE switching is mute and I personally would just hook up the Leslie to be on all the time. Reverb is very good on a M100 spinet. I would be inclined to have the mains and Leslie both running to keep my reverb opperational.</P>

I posted a link in another thread (6C Leslie kit?) to Leslie pinouts. Look at the 6W pinout. This is what you need to have to make your 147 sing right along. In your case signal will come from the green and black wires at a main speaker. </P>

I would buy a soldering iron, some rosin core solder, the real skinny stuff, some wire and practice soldering. Thiswill help you a bunch in future projects as well as this one. Look on the web for some info on how to solder. All it takes is practice. You will need to solder the connections at the AC mains on this project. There is really no way around it as the AO-29 amp in your hammond has no place for the five pin plug from your 26-1 kit.</P>

You will dealing with high voltage and need to identify connections at the main power strip on the far left end of the TWG. You will need a VOM (volt ohm meter) to do this and check your work. If you do not feel confident in allthis, please call a qualified tech. I'd hate to see you damage yourself or the equipment.</P>

Best,</P>

H101</P>

Comment

Hi,</p>

Where are the switched AC mains in the organ? (are you talking about voltage? (120)
          </p>

How do I find out if the Leslie has a load switch and what's MME switching?
          </p>

My kit came with the tremelo and ensemble-echo-main switches.</p>

What I would like to accomplish is, aside make this work, have options for:</p>

1) Leslie</p>

2) Organ Speakers (as it is right now, with or without reverb)</p>

3) Leslie + organ speakers with reverb coming from the organ's reverb amp through it's 8" speaker, not through the Leslie.</p>

The M111 is stock, no mods at all and the Leslie, waiting to get delivered, seems to be a 100% stock vintage 147.</p>

Thanks</p>

Comment

Some photos</p>

[img]%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/kikedeolivos/49ee_3.jpg%5B/IMG%5D[/img]</p>

Comment

More photos</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

The 147 has a load switch - it's clear in the photos! It's marked Open, 8 or 16 ohms. This places a load on the organ's amp, equivalent to the load of the organ's speakers when you use the leslie on its own.</P>

Check over on Hammond zone for the mod that will let you mix reverb and main together. I'd say it's better than running main plus leslie together. 'Spun' reverb is a little odd at first but you soon get used to it.</P>

Andy</P>
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Spun reverb I'm not certain I will like it based on my previous experience with my Korg CX-3.(V2) where the reverb can be setup after or before th Leslie.</p>

Quick question: what is that black squared box on top of the 15"speaker?</p>

Comment

Andy,</p>

</p>

The 5 pin female plug from the kit has 5 wires and it reads on a very old looking sticker "Leslie Hammond ADPT 27-1:
                    </p>

blue / grey (for some reason they are kinda tied together.</p>

black / green/red</p>

Thanks</p>

Comment

Photos from the kit</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

What's the black box? The speakers' magnet!</P>

The kit has standard colouring, matching my instructions.</P>

Andy</P>

Comment

I never saw a magnet with that shape, always the round looking one.</p>

Is there any way you could help me out with photos? I could take photos of the back (guts) of the organ just for you to help me locate the main, wires to cut, etc.</p>

Just let me know.</p>

Thanks!</p>

Comment

Like I said, the best bet is to post the question over on Hammondzone, and I'm sure that Chris or one of the other techs will be able to give you some specific instructions on hooking up to your M. My instructions are general, and it's just the signal part of the connection that you need to sort out. I've not fixed a leslie to an M100, plenty of other organs, but never an M100!</P>

The kit that does the mixing of main and reverb channels is the 8444, I'd guess yours is a 7269 or 7279 from the photos. You just need to find out what the difference is, and how to 'convert' itif that's what you want. If not the kit you have is OK. It will still involve cutting or removing the green? signal wirefrom the amp and wiring it as I said.</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Andy</P>

Comment

http://hammond.pl/pliki/pin_out_Leslie.pdf</p>

I have never found an easiest guide of Leslie hookup. Hope it would help someone.</p>

Jon</p>

Comment

Working...
                              X