Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yay! Organ started! That's the good news...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! Organ started! That's the good news...

Hi all;</p>

Thank you for all your help. Late last night, long after everyone sane in the house had gone to bed, I tried to fire it up again. That time it worked once, then not again. Long story short, though, it now seems to be consistently starting up. I suspect that, yes, it just needed more time for the oil to set in. So far, so good.</p>

Now, however, I'm not getting any sound at all. The TG is definitely engaged, and the tubes are warming up, but there's no sound. Do you think it could be a case of needing to clean the tube sockets with contact cleaner? I tried lots of different drawbar and rocker switch combinations, pedal drawbar in and out, both manuals and the pedals, and there's simply no sound. I can hear a very faint hum from the amp--nothing that sounds obnoxious or unexpected from a tube amp--but no sound coming from the speaker.</p>

The darn thing had been unplugged for almost 20 years; do I need to leave it plugged in and/or turned on for a certain length of time for it to "charge up" capacitors or something? I've never known that with tube guitar amps, but, there again, how often do you run across a 50 year old guitar amp...</p>

Any "first line of defense" suggestions? I appreciate everyone's help.</p>

Regis...</p>

Re: Yay! Organ started! That's the good news...

connect an external amp to "D" terminal

Comment

Jon:</p>

I always enjoy reading your posts; I check up on this thing a few times a day to see if there's something new I can learn! </p>

Alright--you've caught me in my ignorance. Please tell me: what and where is the "D terminal"? And what would I learn from connecting an external amp to it? </p>

Thanks for your help...
      </p>

Comment

It is shielded in a metal box - the larger one.</p>

You should get sound from there.</p>

Comment

Is this the same thing as the infamous "auxiliary in" RCA jack that I read so much about on the forum? The one that, in addition to being a sort of input, is also a sort of output? Or do I have to take something apart to access things more directly?</p>

I've done guitar tech work for a long time, but this is the first time I've really dived into something more electronic--the simpler the directions, therefore, the better!</p>

Please let me know when you have a second. If it turns out that there is sound from there, as you said, then what would that indicate? How would I get the organ to work the way it was supposed to, in other words? I really appreciate the help; hopefully, I'll be all the way into home plate soon...</p>

Regis</p>

Comment

UPDATE: Yay! Organ started! That's the good news...

Hi to JonC3 and all;</p>

Hey--new development. I was out giving it one more try, and, for a few glorious moments, I had sound! But why did it stop? That's the thing I have to figure out...</p>

I'd taken those "metal jackets" off of three of the tubes, just checking that they were tight. When I powered up, I heard this wonderful, low "Hummmm" coming out of the speaker, and, sure enough, it worked! And then, suddenly, the volume dived off a cliff and it died, just like that. I'd checked all the tubes for tightness, and they seem fine, though I'm no expert.</p>

I'm going to clean the tube sockets and see if that helps. Please let me know if there are any other suggestions. I'll keep you posted...</p>

Regis
            </p>

Comment

Re: UPDATE: Yay! Organ started! That's the good news...

yes, it is an input and an output</p>

no, it's just a terminal with wire soldered.</p>

something must short the signal to ground</p>

also replace the C14 cap</p>

Jon</p>

Comment

Working...
              X