eliminating T Series cassette machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eliminating T Series cassette machine

I would like to remove the ugly and useless tape machine and make a cheek block to replace it. There are 4 wires soldered to the back of the tape deck...can those just be cut and left un connected to anything or do they complete some circuit that must be maintained by connecting two or more of them together ?

Hi, Tony,

If I remember right, it's kind of fascinating where those wires go. Here are links to the service manuals.

https://archive.org/details/hammond_...-100dpi-part11

Scroll down and you'll see the link to the other part of it.

You can also insert a cassette adapter and play other devices through the organ.

-- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Funny. I was thinking of getting a local T-series just to play my old tapes through .

Comment

• Joey_Gleet
        Joey_Gleet commented
        Editing a comment
        Just noticed you're in KC. The T500 I'm considering is in KCK. They're asking $60.

I have a Concorde with the Bell + Howell transport. I do use it.

But more importantly it caused me to discover an important cassette that I thought had been lost forever. I put a scraggly old cassette into the organ because I didn't want to wreck a good tape. The cassette was due for the skip anyway. But said scraggly K7 turned out to be the once-lost recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
        Hi, Tony,

If I remember right, it's kind of fascinating where those wires go. Here are links to the service manuals.

https://archive.org/details/hammond_...-100dpi-part11

Scroll down and you'll see the link to the other part of it.

You can also insert a cassette adapter and play other devices through the organ.

Thanks for the link, but those wiring diagrams are a foreign language to me....and even if I could follow the traces for those wires, I would not understand the significance of what they are connected to at the other end. So, can they just be cut-off at the recorder and insulated ?

Comment

Sure but it has better resale value with the connectors still attached.

Comment

• enor
            enor commented
            Editing a comment
            Resale value for a T-500 is zero either way

• KC9UDX
            KC9UDX commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure but the cassette transport might be worth something intact. A T-500 can't be put on a shelf for someday like that tape unit. Plus, old cassette players are in vogue right now.

• Joey_Gleet
            Joey_Gleet commented
            Editing a comment
            For Hammond spinets the resale value would be if someone would haul it off for free. Personally, if I saw that the cassette was hacked out I would keep looking for another freebie. I've learned that with the hassle of moving them and getting them running reasonably well there is no such thing as a ' free ' organ. But, it's the owners toy.

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
          Sure but it has better resale value with the connectors still attached.
          In that case I will just cut the wires and leave them. My Hammond will look much better with a cheek block in place of that eye sore tape deck !

Comment

If you don't find someone interested in that cassette transport, please consider fastening it inside the organ for future's sake.

Comment

Install an effects send-return loop in the cheek block.
              From memory you can create an insert point by breaking the circuit at pin 3 or 6 on the recovery board (sorry I don't remember the pin number).
              Some people have removed the back-end of the tape mechanism and installed 1/4" jacks for the send-return loop in the two holes where the tape spindles were.
              You can normalize the send-return jacks so the signal path simply routes back to itself when there's no plug inserted in the return jack.
              Current:
              1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
              Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
              1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
              2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
              1964 C3
              196x M-102
              197x X5
              197x Leslie 825

Comment

Working...
              X